Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blatant clock manipulation(question. Merged)

CurseReversed

This was one of the rules passed several years ago, because games were lasting anywhere from 4 to 5 hours. They wanted games somewhere around 3 to 3.5 hours. Been on the books for a while.

Check out the time section at

http://www.supernfl.com/NFLRules.html

Then they should stop playing so many freaking commercials. I know they earn money from them but it's especially annoying when you're at the game and you see the players just standing on the field waiting because the commercials aren't over yet. GR. Commercial free football...if only...

PS: I concur, this is a stupid rule.

I think the purpose of that rule was to help the games "flow" better, people were complaining about them taking too long with all the clock stoppages from people going out of bounds.

This is supposed to help make games more "exciting" and "streamlined"

Personally i hate the rule. The clock should stop when a player goes out of bounds like it used to.

The rule that I hate the most is the illegal contact rule. I think that teams shouldn't get an automatic first down. They should get the five yards, but not a first down. That is a dumb rule. The clock rule is dumb also, there were a couple of instances where the clock seemed to be fooled around with like in the first half at the two minute warning, the cowboys ran the draw at the two minute warning. They didn't start the clock until the he was tackled. They should have had the clock running and they didn't call ARE out of bounds when he was clearly out. The refs missed a couple of calls. Oh well that happens. I agree about the time change rule STUPID!

Did you guys notice, as the Redskins were driving to score the TD to pull within 5... Our recievers got out of bounds, but the clock didnt stop. It continued to run 3 times after this had happened. I kept my eye on it, and we lost about 1 min. of the game because of it. Is there some new rule that if the player is contacted in the field of play, then gets out of bounds, that the clock on stops temporarily, instead of until the ball is snapped. We could have had an extra minute to try and win the game....?

I believe they indicated that they looked at the play as if there was forward progress. I disagree. I thought that the WR was out of bounds a couple times and the clock should have stopped.

But it didn't matter, imo, we had time to score even after that happened. Unfortunately, the INT gave the win to Dallas.

I believe they indicated that they looked at the play as if there was forward progress. I disagree. I thought that the WR was out of bounds a couple times and the clock should have stopped.

But it didn't matter, imo, we had time to score even after that happened. Unfortunately, the INT gave the win to Dallas.

not necessarily... if the game continued the exact same way, we would have gotten the ball back, even after the INT with 1:30 left on the clock. And this offense was on fire...

The only problem I have with the forward progress out of bounds rule is that it is called unevenly in games. There have been drives against us at the end of the game where similar things happened, but the clock stopped....

I don't think they were intentionally biased, but they need to write the rules and work on the refs so that a team can expect some amount of consistency....

The only problem I have with the forward progress out of bounds rule is that it is called unevenly in games. There have been drives against us at the end of the game where similar things happened, but the clock stopped....

The difference is wheather the player is pushed out or not. If he is pushed the forward progress is awarded and the clock starts when the ball is spotted. If he runs out on his own the clock will stay stopped until the next snap. But this rule only applies outside the last 2 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the second half.

Is there some new rule that if the player is contacted in the field of play, then gets out of bounds, that the clock only stops temporarily, instead of until the ball is snapped. We could have had an extra minute to try and win the game....?

As stated before, yes there is, only its been in place for a few years now. They will award forward progress and only stop the clock until the ball is spotted. You will see the ref spot the ball and then wind his arm telling the clock manager to restart the clock.

Here is how the rule reads:

With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.

Archived