Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn Top 5 Nfc Teams

50yrSKINSfan

Since I'm the one who used that term, I'll go ahead and take a crack at this one. ;)

Yes and no. Yes as far as the Skins D goes, because they've played at a consistantly high level for the season as a whole. I felt pretty confident going into that game that we'd at least be able to keep it within two scores. So yes, defensively, that rear-end ripping by the Pats was kind of an anomaly.

No in the sense that the team as a whole has been eeking out wins for the most part. I'll certainly take the "w's" without question, because that is the ONLY stat that matters. But the Pats put on a dominating performance.

Let me keep it going then. :)

Sure we've eked out some wins against bad teams. We've also eked out some losses against some good teams. How come when we beat a bad team close that's all bad, but when we lose to a good team close ... that's all bad?

This team, for better or for worse, is a team that wins with the running game and defense. It follows the mold of the last three non-HOF-QB-having teams that won the Superbowl. And in many cases, running the ball and leaning on your defense will result in close games. And yes, that's a problem if we're losing most them. It shouldn't be a problem if we're winning most of them, though.

And in case some of you haven't noticed ... we're winning most of them. :)

Let me keep it going then. :)

Sure we've eked out some wins against bad teams. We've also eked out some losses against some good teams. How come when we beat a bad team close that's all bad, but when we lose to a good team close ... that's all bad?

This team, for better or for worse, is a team that wins with the running game and defense. It follows the mold of the last three non-HOF-QB-having teams that won the Superbowl. And in many cases, running the ball and leaning on your defense will result in close games. And yes, that's a problem if we're losing most them. It shouldn't be a problem if we're winning most of them, though.

And in case some of you haven't noticed ... we're winning most of them. :)

We're on the same page here, just too many trees in this forest I think. I don't care how the Skins win or how close it is - just as long as they do whatever they can to get the "W". That was the basis of my whole "Detroit" argument. Right now, at this very moment, they have more. And if the season were to end now, us beating them wouldn't really matter much. Nobody hands out style points.

they have ONE more and if they lose we will be ahead of them because of the victory that we have over them.

Randy Cotoure was beating everybody in the light heavyweight except for Chuck Liddell. It didnt matter that he knocked out 5 other guys, he couldnt beat the guy who beat him. So that made Chuck better

Randy = Detroit

Chuck = Washington

Whoa there Nancy... I've been around here several years longer than you have, I just don't give a damn about post counts. So how about lightening up on what kind of fan I am? Put simply, I prefer to look at the big picture rather than the one game.

Yes, we beat Detroit. That should automatically rank us higher than them? So for argument's sake, I guess if we lose to Philly next week, Dallas beats NY, but then we beat Dallas the following week, we should automatically be ranked higher than the Cowboys then... even though we'd be 6-4 & they at 8-2?

Take off your glasses and re-read that one more time - see if it makes any more sense to you.

I'd love nothing more than to crown the Skins the ranking kings, but until they are able to put more than ONE great game together... I'm sorry. Doesn't mean I'm less of a fan.

Yep #3. nice post.

no thats not what i meant..he was saying that the Lions running game is now awesome because he is back and i was saying that 71 a game is NOT great. because if so, then CP would be on a tear.

no, I looked at the team YPG as a whole, not just Kevin Jones...

Your statement was not "Kevin Jones does not have a running game"...it was "the Detroit Lions have no running game"...which is innaccurate...

Until last week the Redskins had not had a 100 yard rusher, and yet are 9th in the NFL in total rushing yards....the Patriots are clearly a pass first, run second offense, and yet are 8th....

Most teams, nowadays, have a rushing attack based around more than one person in the running game....last week (you are correct) Kevin Jones rushed for 71 yards....but TJ Duckett also rushed for 48...and the entire team had ~130 yards....so did the Lions have an effective rushing attack against the Broncos or not?

EDIT: It is fantastic to see us getting some props....I really wish we could get the passing game going...if we cannot get a reliable 200-225 YPG passing game going I fear for our chances to make the playoffs....

SECOND EDIT: and whereas I don't have the time to look at it right now and do the math for you, I bet the rushing YPG AS A TEAM for the Lions has gone up by about 50 yards since Tatum Bell was replaced full time by Kevin Jones...thats a pretty dramatic impact....that is just a postulation though...I have somewhere to be at 730 and have to go get in the shower....

just a quick question...why are people putting Detroit up there when we steady handed them their butts?

And they've played nothing but cupcake opponents, while we've had the Pats to deal with? I don't care what their record is; they're just not that good. The Giants aren't that much better. IMO, the Bucs don't deserve a spot in the top 5 either. I'd say the list should be:

1. Dallas

2. Green Bay

3. NYG

4. Skins/Saints

5. Skins/Saints

I have to admit, I'm suprised we made the list, let alone got the #4 spot.

Though that's higher than I'd put us (yes, I'd put the Lions ahead of us right now) it's not that crazy. We do have a very nice defense, are very physical on both sides of the ball, and have a winning record against a pretty tough schedule.

And I'd hope those of you calling our Lion game an anomaly would be willing to call the Pats game one as well.

I was surprised too..

Even both of the "first and ten" participants said the Redskins were a good team and one predicted us to get into the playoffs (at 8-8 no less). The other (Skip) contends we will just miss out due to default by the other division winners (seattle and N.O)

I think when you look at a team from the outside it is beneficial because fans are usually more critical of their teams than some analyst (ie: some extremeskins posters) Analyst look at all the teams and can compare each of their pros and cons. So for all these fans of the Redskins contending we arnt a good team maybe they should stop trying to force them to look like the cowboys, or pats and just except them for who they really are. (5-3), with VERY close loses to nyg and GB. A good team be all accounts.

no, I looked at the team YPG as a whole, not just Kevin Jones...

Your statement was not "Kevin Jones does not have a running game"...it was "the Detroit Lions have no running game"...which is innaccurate...

Until last week the Redskins had not had a 100 yard rusher, and yet are 9th in the NFL in total rushing yards....the Patriots are clearly a pass first, run second offense, and yet are 8th....

Most teams, nowadays, have a rushing attack based around more than one person in the running game....last week (you are correct) Kevin Jones rushed for 71 yards....but TJ Duckett also rushed for 48...and the entire team had ~130 yards....so did the Lions have an effective rushing attack against the Broncos or not?

EDIT: It is fantastic to see us getting some props....I really wish we could get the passing game going...if we cannot get a reliable 200-225 YPG passing game going I fear for our chances to make the playoffs....

SECOND EDIT: and whereas I don't have the time to look at it right now and do the math for you, I bet the rushing YPG AS A TEAM for the Lions has gone up by about 50 yards since Tatum Bell was replaced full time by Kevin Jones...thats a pretty dramatic impact....that is just a postulation though...I have somewhere to be at 730 and have to go get in the shower....

sorry its taken me so long to respond to this..i dont get on here from home..it would ruin my night reading too much negativity.

you make some good points..but my point was that it takes at least 2 to 3 backs for DET to match up with CP.

my next point to you is the Detroit Lions as a team have 762 yards rushing total. CP has 629 and the Skins have 1031 total. They are averaging 4.3 a carry and we are 4.0. They are averaging 95 yards a game and we are 129. We are clearly outrushing them.

My point in all of this was to just have some faith and maybe a little homerism. This is a skins site and why people bash the skins and pump the lions is beyond me. Do you think the Lions fans are telling each other how much better the skins are then us?

I wonder if KC fans are bashing on LJ and talking trades? I wonder if the Bungles site is going crazy with "Fire Lewis" threads? I will never admit defeat in my team and I will love my team thru thick and thin.

but hey..I guess this is why we have debates huh..

Archived