Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darryl Gardener close to deal

Stricknine

Here's the link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38211-2003Feb6.html

If the Skins pull it off at that price, I'd be astounded and it would immediately require all front office questioning to cease for two full weeks :). I just have a hard time imagining he'll take that contract bonus. I'd LOVE it if he would. I just have a hard time believing he would.

Someone in the F.O. read Buddha's post. :D

If we get this wrapped up in the next day or two, it would make me very happy. Sign Carl Powell to a modest contract as well before he hits the open market, and we've made huge strides very early in the offseason.

Snyder's To-Do list.

1) Sign Gardener

2) Sign Powell

3) Start working on Champ's contract extension

4) Find out if Wilky is willing to take a big paycut.

5) Think about making a move for Coles (I actually like him better than Peerless, he's a true 4.3 guy, and I've seen him play quite a bit). Other than that, don't try to make any big FA acquisitions that would break the bank .

6) Draft Michael Haynes and Jeff Faine

7) Rest until training camp.

My guess is that number will be closer to 5 by the time gardener's name is across the bottom of the page, but the fact that the words "within striking distance" and "4 million signing bonus" are used in the same article gives me the warm fuzzies.

I hope that we see a creative deal here, because gardener is in a unique position. If he plays well, then... well we all saw it.

-DB

It would be quite the deal. Now....wonder if it has anything to do with this If so...I believe that constitutes a trend. Or for that matter, continues one. I believe a........down time for remarks about Dan Snyder would/could be in order. If this deal gets done of course.

:cheers:

I guess I just want to add that I would balk at 5 or higher as a SB. Many players were surprised/disappointed to find out their market value wasn't as high as they expected, and while there is no doubting Gardener's talents when healthy, there are enough question marks surrounding him that if he and his agent expect a windfall this off-season, they could be setting themselves up for a fall. Compound that with the high quality and depth of talent at DT in the draft this year, and a 29 year old DT with a history of severe back injury may not garner all that much high-end attention on the FA market.

Gardener doesn't strike me like the kind of guy that would be content to sit on a pile of cash, he seems like a proud man that would give his all to the team, but no matter how much he wants to perform well for the Skins, you can't do it with a bad back.

This is great news. Hopefully he'll sign soon and then we can move on to finding a pass rusher and adding a playmaking wide receiver.

Don't forget about adding 1 or 2 good guards this offseason. I firmly believe that if we get the oline in order, and can give ramsey a little time, we will be able to slice up most defenses, even with our current WR's. Adding a speedster would be awesome as well.

*prays DG signs*

:notworthy If the deal gets done for a 4 mil signing bonus.

I may be getting over excited here, as I always tend to do when it comes to the Skins, but it looks like the FO is beginning to get the picture and starting this off season the right way. If we fill the holes that all of us agree that we need (OL, DE and WR) we could be on to something here.

The team could have won a few more games last year if we kept the mental errors down. We could be priming ourselves here for a run deep in the playoffs THIS YEAR instead of looking towards 2004.

In today's game, it wouldn't take much to push this team over the hump and compete for the title. :cheers:

4 SB is ideal. 5 is pushing it but understandable. 6 is out of the question.

I don't see the logic in releasing info stating that you are "close" in signing a player to X amount of dollars. Why not just wait till it's done? Are they jumping the gun to make all of us feel better?

It seems like you run the risk of people/friends/teammates getting involved. Maybe his buddy reads this and says "you know so and so got twice that and you're twice the player he is."

I don't know maybe I am fussing over nothing but I just dont see the upside to this.

Archived