Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

G. Williams vs. New England

dwills1

Im wondering if Williams has been saving all of his blitz packages for this game. We havent blitzed hardly at all this year. Wonder if they looked at the schedule and figured they could rely on their 4 down linemen for pressure and save the packages for this week.

As NFL coaches, they have got to know that you have to make Brady move and cant let him have all day back there. Our front 4 is no match for their O line. SO maybe they played conservative defense on the blitz front specifically for this game?

Im wondering if Williams has been saving all of his blitz packages for this game. We havent blitzed hardly at all this year. Wonder if they looked at the schedule and figured they could rely on their 4 down linemen for pressure and save the packages for this week.

As NFL coaches, they have got to know that you have to make Brady move and cant let him have all day back there. Our front 4 is no match for their O line. SO maybe they played conservative defense on the blitz front specifically for this game?

One advantage that no one has mentioned yet is Greg Williams knowledge of New England and what they like to do. Remember he played them twice each year in Buffalo and he understands what they like to do. Aside from being a good d-coordinator, he's got some AFC blood too.....it may help! Anything can help!

Yeah I would like to know the success rate he had against Buffalo when GW was the coach. Its a totaly different team now, but I'm sure GW is still familiar with the system.

One advantage that no one has mentioned yet is Greg Williams knowledge of New England and what they like to do. Remember he played them twice each year in Buffalo and he understands what they like to do. Aside from being a good d-coordinator, he's got some AFC blood too.....it may help! Anything can help!

Yeah I would like to know the success rate he had against Buffalo when GW was the coach. Its a totaly different team now, but I'm sure GW is still familiar with the system.

The only thing that G Williams tenure in Buffalo has to do with us winning this weekend is LONDON FLETCHER. (o and pierson)

Jerry Gray, our safeties coach, was the Defensive Coordinator during Gregg Williams head coaching tenure in buffalo and also afterwards until a year ago.

The only thing that G Williams tenure in Buffalo has to do with us winning this weekend is LONDON FLETCHER. (o and pierson)

Jerry Gray, our safeties coach, was the Defensive Coordinator during Gregg Williams head coaching tenure in buffalo and also afterwards until a year ago.

Not to be an ass, but this "advantage" has been mentioned in several threads.

Not to be an ass, but this "advantage" has been mentioned in several threads.

Well, the Patriots have also played against GW's defenses before so.....

Caldwell and Fletcher will be the wildcards in this one. Fletcher has experience making calls and adjustments against Tom Brady. Caldwell may be able to help with some of the audible language or the offensives and Bradys tendencies. What Tom likes to audible too if you show him this presnap kind of stuff.

Well, the Patriots have also played against GW's defenses before so.....

Caldwell and Fletcher will be the wildcards in this one. Fletcher has experience making calls and adjustments against Tom Brady. Caldwell may be able to help with some of the audible language or the offensives and Bradys tendencies. What Tom likes to audible too if you show him this presnap kind of stuff.

I still don't think our defense is the issue here. I think they can slow the Pats down to less than 25 points going into the 4th.

The question is can the offense finally produce that kind of output to keep pace and to keep our defense fresh. If the offense can score 28-31 points, we would have a real shot. But we have not been producing those kinds of numbers on offense all year. The closest we've gotten to that that I remember is 25 against Detroit, which is clearly not as good a defense as NE.

If it's 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, even our GW defense will eventually lose steam in the 4th. And then unfortunately a sort of close game would turn into another NE blowout.

I still don't think our defense is the issue here. I think they can slow the Pats down to less than 25 points going into the 4th.

The question is can the offense finally produce that kind of output to keep pace and to keep our defense fresh. If the offense can score 28-31 points, we would have a real shot. But we have not been producing those kinds of numbers on offense all year. The closest we've gotten to that that I remember is 25 against Detroit, which is clearly not as good a defense as NE.

If it's 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, even our GW defense will eventually lose steam in the 4th. And then unfortunately a sort of close game would turn into another NE blowout.

While this is a 'big game' because we want to prove we can hang with the best, it's not a big game as far as our season goes. The level of importance goes NFCE, NFC, AFC. This is one of the 4 least important games on our schedule. I know every game is important, but if GW were to keep an Ace in his sleeve it would be for Dallas (leading our division) or NY, the games that REALLY make or break our season as far as playoffs. It's possible GW could dial up the blitzes come Sunday but I don't think he's been saving them for Brady.

While this is a 'big game' because we want to prove we can hang with the best, it's not a big game as far as our season goes. The level of importance goes NFCE, NFC, AFC. This is one of the 4 least important games on our schedule. I know every game is important, but if GW were to keep an Ace in his sleeve it would be for Dallas (leading our division) or NY, the games that REALLY make or break our season as far as playoffs. It's possible GW could dial up the blitzes come Sunday but I don't think he's been saving them for Brady.

jim mora discussed this exact point on total access this week.

not that it matters because the pats teams that gw saw were nothing like this team. when gw was in buf the pats were most west-coast in nature relying on brady picking teams apart down the field and leaning on the running game as a good change of pace. today, brady is sitting in the pocket and stretching teams deep opening up crossing routes for big gains. they also don't pay any attention to their running game until the game is in hand.

that's not to say that i don't think gw can match up against the pats play calling, but this pats teams is less about creative offensive calling and more about perfect execution.

jim mora discussed this exact point on total access this week.

not that it matters because the pats teams that gw saw were nothing like this team. when gw was in buf the pats were most west-coast in nature relying on brady picking teams apart down the field and leaning on the running game as a good change of pace. today, brady is sitting in the pocket and stretching teams deep opening up crossing routes for big gains. they also don't pay any attention to their running game until the game is in hand.

that's not to say that i don't think gw can match up against the pats play calling, but this pats teams is less about creative offensive calling and more about perfect execution.

Archived