Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3 excellent Military quotes

Spaceman Spiff

I think it's probably a safe bet to say that you probably believe ANYTHING that is patriotic is hubris and arrgoance.

If you can't see that Powell's comment wasn't only not patriotic, but arrogant AND wrong, I don't know what to tell you. I assume the silence that filled the room was due to shock at such idiotic bravado.

The second comment is great. The third, while somewhat true, seems more humorous than anything.

I think it's probably a safe bet to say that you probably believe ANYTHING that is patriotic is hubris and arrgoance.

If you can't see that Powell's comment wasn't only not patriotic, but arrogant AND wrong, I don't know what to tell you. I assume the silence that filled the room was due to shock at such idiotic bravado.

The second comment is great. The third, while somewhat true, seems more humorous than anything.

...or maybe the room was silent because he had actually been speaking substantially longer than the email lead people to believe. People tend to be quiet in these types of situations regardless of the points being made.

...or maybe the room was silent because he had actually been speaking substantially longer than the email lead people to believe. People tend to be quiet in these types of situations regardless of the points being made.

It's all a right wing conspiracy. That e-mail was written by Bush, Cheney, and Karl Rove to stir up the right wingers. You have uncovered yet another one of their evil plots.

It's all a right wing conspiracy. That e-mail was written by Bush, Cheney, and Karl Rove to stir up the right wingers. You have uncovered yet another one of their evil plots.

I'm sure this is what happened.

Those quotes rang so true that those misguided one's were simply stunned into silence by those devastating words. :rolleyes:

Than everyone in attendance immediately ran out, purchased an American flag and spent the rest of the day saluting it.

I'm sure this is what happened.

Those quotes rang so true that those misguided one's were simply stunned into silence by those devastating words. :rolleyes:

Than everyone in attendance immediately ran out, purchased an American flag and spent the rest of the day saluting it.

Thank you for the Wikipedia posts. I am aware of the extent of the casualties that the German army suffered in the USSR. However, you have to keep in mind that the attack on Stalingrad was an indirect result of the USA's entering the war. Hitler knew that a new front would open up soon, and he decided to go for the crippling blow in order to end the war on the eastern front.

In addition, don't forget about the American involvement in the African campaign.

...Oh, and to get back to the main content of this thread: Powell's actual comment, quoted in context, is MUCH more humble and inspiring than this sound-bite version.

Thank you for the Wikipedia posts. I am aware of the extent of the casualties that the German army suffered in the USSR. However, you have to keep in mind that the attack on Stalingrad was an indirect result of the USA's entering the war. Hitler knew that a new front would open up soon, and he decided to go for the crippling blow in order to end the war on the eastern front.

In addition, don't forget about the American involvement in the African campaign.

...Oh, and to get back to the main content of this thread: Powell's actual comment, quoted in context, is MUCH more humble and inspiring than this sound-bite version.

Fair enough. The original quote rubbed me the wrong way because it did not mention the Russians - it said "Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German." My comment about France speaking Russian was meant to provide some perspective rather than offer a hypothetical turn of events should things have played out differently.

Fair enough. The original quote rubbed me the wrong way because it did not mention the Russians - it said "Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German." My comment about France speaking Russian was meant to provide some perspective rather than offer a hypothetical turn of events should things have played out differently.

See, I took it as because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and us all speak English.

Perspectives differ, I guess.

~Bang

See, I took it as because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and us all speak English.

Perspectives differ, I guess.

~Bang

feel free to move to canada if you don't like what we do. I'm not even going to waste my effort in explaining that nearly every country listed above asked for our assistance in defending their soil, but we don't concern ourselves with those messy details do we?

that is correct plus for awhile Okinawa was a territory of teh US and they droivew the way we drove. but we gave it back to the japanese government.

feel free to move to canada if you don't like what we do. I'm not even going to waste my effort in explaining that nearly every country listed above asked for our assistance in defending their soil, but we don't concern ourselves with those messy details do we?

that is correct plus for awhile Okinawa was a territory of teh US and they droivew the way we drove. but we gave it back to the japanese government.

Archived