Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Saunders' Offensive (Passing) Stats by Team KC & WAS (Kind of Long)

#98QBKiller

You all may get your wishes answered if the Skins fall behind by a couple of TDs this weekend. If that's the case, you should see lots of come-from-behind pass attempts.

Passing shouldn't be regulated to "come from behind", it should be used to start the game out. In the Skins case to set up the run.

With our piss poor line and our inability to run the ball throw a wrinkle in. Roll the pocket, roll JC out with Sellers as his blocker. Do something different than Run middle, Run left throw to Cooley.

You all may get your wishes answered if the Skins fall behind by a couple of TDs this weekend. If that's the case, you should see lots of come-from-behind pass attempts.

Passing shouldn't be regulated to "come from behind", it should be used to start the game out. In the Skins case to set up the run.

With our piss poor line and our inability to run the ball throw a wrinkle in. Roll the pocket, roll JC out with Sellers as his blocker. Do something different than Run middle, Run left throw to Cooley.

The shotgun spread makes protection easier, but QBs have to be able to catch, read, and quickly release to the right receiver. Even if Joe and Al wanted to put more spread into the offense, they're limited by Campbell's inexperience.

I hate this excuse. When is JC going to get the experience then? He's been throwing footballs for years now, I think he has an idea how to play quarterback. I would hope that Gibbs and Saunders have confidence in him; at least to know he can learn from and not repeat his mistakes. Yes there will be mistakes, but it would be better if he works them out sooner than later. Let him play like he's the starter! :helmet:

The shotgun spread makes protection easier, but QBs have to be able to catch, read, and quickly release to the right receiver. Even if Joe and Al wanted to put more spread into the offense, they're limited by Campbell's inexperience.

I hate this excuse. When is JC going to get the experience then? He's been throwing footballs for years now, I think he has an idea how to play quarterback. I would hope that Gibbs and Saunders have confidence in him; at least to know he can learn from and not repeat his mistakes. Yes there will be mistakes, but it would be better if he works them out sooner than later. Let him play like he's the starter! :helmet:

Dont bother posting facts ...

people will only ignore them in order for them to keep their faith in their god...

Whats funny is the way Al saunders speaks about offense in interviews....

yesterday when asked about 160 yards total offense he laghed and said

"oh god..well im used to having 160 yard qtrs "....:laugh:

and went on to say but...

"we are a run first football team "..

and he also said

" at first we were trying to do things to Keep jason out of trouble and kind of minimize the risk.. but i think its time that we kind of turn him loose and let him do some of the things that he is capable of doing "

Thats from the OC's mouth......

so if he feels we should air it out..

There is only one other reason why we havent right?...

:laugh:

Dont bother posting facts ...

people will only ignore them in order for them to keep their faith in their god...

Whats funny is the way Al saunders speaks about offense in interviews....

yesterday when asked about 160 yards total offense he laghed and said

"oh god..well im used to having 160 yard qtrs "....:laugh:

and went on to say but...

"we are a run first football team "..

and he also said

" at first we were trying to do things to Keep jason out of trouble and kind of minimize the risk.. but i think its time that we kind of turn him loose and let him do some of the things that he is capable of doing "

Thats from the OC's mouth......

so if he feels we should air it out..

There is only one other reason why we havent right?...

:laugh:

I see your point, but the shotgun spread isn't part of the current scheme.

Rather than add another a new scheme, tweaking the current one, maybe going deeper into the 700 page playbook, would be less demanding on a QB who has made 13 starts.

Incidentally, I think the shotgun spread is dynamite. I'm just trying to see the problem from the coaches point of view here.

I see your point, but the shotgun spread isn't part of the current scheme.

Rather than add another a new scheme, tweaking the current one, maybe going deeper into the 700 page playbook, would be less demanding on a QB who has made 13 starts.

Incidentally, I think the shotgun spread is dynamite. I'm just trying to see the problem from the coaches point of view here.

Exactly. We only pass deep consecutively when we're trailing late in the game. And oddly enough Campbell seems comfortable with it. Remember the end of the Giants game? He drove us down the field we just couldn't get it in the end zone.

I'm tired of hearing that Jason Campbell isn't "experienced enough" for the coaches to let him loose and pass the ball all over the field.

I would rather see him out there throwing and getting his rhythm established with our receiving corps and making a few mistakes, throwing a few picks and getting it out of his system than watching other teams crowd the line and stuff Portis for 3 plays in a row because they know we're going to run it 3 times in a row.

I don't know if the Green Bay game scared Joe Gibbs and made him go back to playing 80s ball but dammit, it's not working, especially with our OL issues.

We're not going to beat the Pats with the offensive gameplan we used Sunday (we barely beat the Cards) so why not at least try letting Campbell throw the ball around again, the Green Bay game was mostly the receivers' fault (especially Santana) but they're too good to play like that all the time.

Get them all involved, we need McCardell, Moss, Randle-El, Cooley, Thrash and even Lloyd's scrub ass to all touch the ball Sunday and then when Belichick puts his Nickel and Dime guys on the field Portis needs to get the ball and run it down their throats a few times.

Exactly. We only pass deep consecutively when we're trailing late in the game. And oddly enough Campbell seems comfortable with it. Remember the end of the Giants game? He drove us down the field we just couldn't get it in the end zone.

I'm tired of hearing that Jason Campbell isn't "experienced enough" for the coaches to let him loose and pass the ball all over the field.

I would rather see him out there throwing and getting his rhythm established with our receiving corps and making a few mistakes, throwing a few picks and getting it out of his system than watching other teams crowd the line and stuff Portis for 3 plays in a row because they know we're going to run it 3 times in a row.

I don't know if the Green Bay game scared Joe Gibbs and made him go back to playing 80s ball but dammit, it's not working, especially with our OL issues.

We're not going to beat the Pats with the offensive gameplan we used Sunday (we barely beat the Cards) so why not at least try letting Campbell throw the ball around again, the Green Bay game was mostly the receivers' fault (especially Santana) but they're too good to play like that all the time.

Get them all involved, we need McCardell, Moss, Randle-El, Cooley, Thrash and even Lloyd's scrub ass to all touch the ball Sunday and then when Belichick puts his Nickel and Dime guys on the field Portis needs to get the ball and run it down their throats a few times.

good thread...this should maybe give others the hint that our Offensive woes may be in fact attributed to old man Gibbs.

My post after reading this thread was going to be:

Two words - Joe Gibbs :)

I was against the hiring of Saunders from day one. I have said NOTHING but negative things about him and about how Gibbs jumped the shark when he brought him here. I said the offense was garbage the first year, and I hate it even more this year. The problem is I'm starting to think that Gibbs still has a handle on this offense and maybe THAT is the real reason its not working.

I hate saying that because I've been a Gibbs guy since 81 when I started watching football. Maybe, if its true, Gibbs needs to let go of the offense and truly hand the keys over to Saunders to see what he can do.

Maybe the problem is there are too many people against Saunders in the meeting rooms. Buges, a Gibbs man, hell the entire staff is Gibbs guys...

good thread...this should maybe give others the hint that our Offensive woes may be in fact attributed to old man Gibbs.

My post after reading this thread was going to be:

Two words - Joe Gibbs :)

I was against the hiring of Saunders from day one. I have said NOTHING but negative things about him and about how Gibbs jumped the shark when he brought him here. I said the offense was garbage the first year, and I hate it even more this year. The problem is I'm starting to think that Gibbs still has a handle on this offense and maybe THAT is the real reason its not working.

I hate saying that because I've been a Gibbs guy since 81 when I started watching football. Maybe, if its true, Gibbs needs to let go of the offense and truly hand the keys over to Saunders to see what he can do.

Maybe the problem is there are too many people against Saunders in the meeting rooms. Buges, a Gibbs man, hell the entire staff is Gibbs guys...

I read this morning in the Express that Saunders said that the gameplan that was called this past Sunday was "very conservative." It doesn't sound to me like he's the one calling the plays on offense here.

Here are a few interesting stats from Saunders' KC offenses from 2001-2005:

KC 2001:

Passes thrown: 528

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 6th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 4th

----------------------------------------------

KC 2002:

Passes thrown: 477

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 12th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 5th

KC 2003:

Passes thrown: 536

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 4th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 1st

---------------------------------------------

KC 2004:

Passes thrown: 562

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 3rd

------------------------------------------------

KC 2005:

Passes thrown: 507

-------------------------------------------------

Same stats for KC without Saunders

KC 2006 (No Saunders):

Passes thrown: 450

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 22nd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 15th

KC 2007 (No Saunders):

Are currently ranked 19th in passing and 28th in total offense

The same stats with us having Saunders as our Offensive Coordinator:

WAS 2006:

Passes thrown: 470

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 23rd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 14th

---------------------------------------------------

WAS 2007:

Passes thrown: 168 (On pace for 384)

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 27th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 30th

---------------------------------------------------------

Last year we threw the ball more, (only seven times less than what KC threw it in 2002 under Saunders), and our offense was middle of the pack, mostly fueled by the running game with a healthy OL and Ladell Betts, and was still way worse in passing yards and total offense in that year than KC was.

This year we are throwing the ball a lot less than we did last year and we don't even have our run-game to lean on.

Besides 2002, every year Saunders was in KC, they threw the ball at least 507 times and had a much more successful offense than we've had since who knows when.

The thing that jumps out at me about all of these stats is the fact that KC had a VERY productive running game all of those years with Priest Holmes and/or Larry Johnson and still threw the ball around a lot and didn't try to establish themselves with an identity as a "Rushing Team" or "Passing Team."

People say that the run has to set up the pass or vice versa but a lot of teams are passing a lot and doing it successfully without a major run-game: (Green Bay, Cincinnati, Detroit, Houston).

If our run game isn't working due to the OL, can't we move the pocket, set up the shotgun, etc. to compensate and go to our passing game? Our defense is one of the best in the NFL and Saunders knows how to orchestrate a very good passing attack without a lot of star players, so why don't we go to the air when the run isn't working instead of forcing the run unsuccessfully?

Yes we did pass more last year and by running more this year we have almost matched last years wins in less than half a season. Wish you fans would let coaches coach. 4-2 ISNT BAD IT CAN EQUAL 11-5 down the road

I read this morning in the Express that Saunders said that the gameplan that was called this past Sunday was "very conservative." It doesn't sound to me like he's the one calling the plays on offense here.

Here are a few interesting stats from Saunders' KC offenses from 2001-2005:

KC 2001:

Passes thrown: 528

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 6th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 4th

KC 2002:

Passes thrown: 477

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 12th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 5th

KC 2003:

Passes thrown: 536

---------------------------------------------

KC 2004:

Passes thrown: 562

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 3rd

------------------------------------------------

KC 2005:

Passes thrown: 507

-------------------------------------------------

Same stats for KC without Saunders

KC 2006 (No Saunders):

Passes thrown: 450

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 22nd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 15th

KC 2007 (No Saunders):

Are currently ranked 19th in passing and 28th in total offense

The same stats with us having Saunders as our Offensive Coordinator:

WAS 2006:

Passes thrown: 470

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 23rd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 14th

---------------------------------------------------

WAS 2007:

Passes thrown: 168 (On pace for 384)

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 27th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 30th

---------------------------------------------------------

Last year we threw the ball more, (only seven times less than what KC threw it in 2002 under Saunders), and our offense was middle of the pack, mostly fueled by the running game with a healthy OL and Ladell Betts, and was still way worse in passing yards and total offense in that year than KC was.

This year we are throwing the ball a lot less than we did last year and we don't even have our run-game to lean on.

Besides 2002, every year Saunders was in KC, they threw the ball at least 507 times and had a much more successful offense than we've had since who knows when.

The thing that jumps out at me about all of these stats is the fact that KC had a VERY productive running game all of those years with Priest Holmes and/or Larry Johnson and still threw the ball around a lot and didn't try to establish themselves with an identity as a "Rushing Team" or "Passing Team."

People say that the run has to set up the pass or vice versa but a lot of teams are passing a lot and doing it successfully without a major run-game: (Green Bay, Cincinnati, Detroit, Houston).

If our run game isn't working due to the OL, can't we move the pocket, set up the shotgun, etc. to compensate and go to our passing game? Our defense is one of the best in the NFL and Saunders knows how to orchestrate a very good passing attack without a lot of star players, so why don't we go to the air when the run isn't working instead of forcing the run unsuccessfully?

Yes we did pass more last year and by running more this year we have almost matched last years wins in less than half a season. Wish you fans would let coaches coach. 4-2 ISNT BAD IT CAN EQUAL 11-5 down the road

LISTEN PEOPLE!!!!!

Our lack of offensive numbers doesnt come from the fact that we run more than we pass. Our players just dont execute! We cant execute the passing plays we do call (over throws, dropped passes, wrong routes), so what makes anyone think that we will pass more?

For all of you who don't like the play selection please keep one thing in mind.

Joe Gibb's philosophy is being BALANCED on offense. We are going to mix the run in with the pass. It's just that simple!! So you can complain about passing more all you want, but its just not going to happen unless we get down in a football game. When our players learn how to execute the offense precisely then we will see more variety in the passing game. But we will still basically be a 50-50 run pass team. It's the type of team strategy that wins in the playoffs. (Colts didnt win a superbowl until they started running the football more. steelers were a run first team with Cower.etc..)

It's all about perfecting the coach's philosophy, not pleasing the stat book in the NFL.

LISTEN PEOPLE!!!!!

Our lack of offensive numbers doesnt come from the fact that we run more than we pass. Our players just dont execute! We cant execute the passing plays we do call (over throws, dropped passes, wrong routes), so what makes anyone think that we will pass more?

Joe Gibb's philosophy is being BALANCED on offense. We are going to mix the run in with the pass. It's just that simple!! So you can complain about passing more all you want, but its just not going to happen unless we get down in a football game. When our players learn how to execute the offense precisely then we will see more variety in the passing game. But we will still basically be a 50-50 run pass team. It's the type of team strategy that wins in the playoffs. (Colts didnt win a superbowl until they started running the football more. steelers were a run first team with Cower.etc..)

It's all about perfecting the coach's philosophy, not pleasing the stat book in the NFL.

LISTEN PEOPLE!!!!!

It could be because we are averaging a paltry 3.6 ypc and averaging an astounding 7 yard per pass attempt.

Why do the three most dominate teams in the NFL throw more than they pass. They are do stay balanced but they value the pass more?

The Colts also still threw the ball more in the 2006 postseason than they ran it. They won the Superbowl when their defense stepped up in the postseason and allowed only 82.8 yards a game instead of allowing 107.3 yards a game.

They didn't just start suddenly running the ball more to win the Superbowl they actually ranked #18 in the NFL in rushing in 2006.

Maybe the coaches philosophy should change just a bit? We are a terrible running team right now. Why not give something different a try?

LISTEN PEOPLE!!!!!

It could be because we are averaging a paltry 3.6 ypc and averaging an astounding 7 yard per pass attempt.

Why do the three most dominate teams in the NFL throw more than they pass. They are do stay balanced but they value the pass more?

The Colts also still threw the ball more in the 2006 postseason than they ran it. They won the Superbowl when their defense stepped up in the postseason and allowed only 82.8 yards a game instead of allowing 107.3 yards a game.

They didn't just start suddenly running the ball more to win the Superbowl they actually ranked #18 in the NFL in rushing in 2006.

Maybe the coaches philosophy should change just a bit? We are a terrible running team right now. Why not give something different a try?

Archived