Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland could see offshore wind power

Dictator

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21306552/

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A company seeking to build an offshore wind farm off the Delaware coast has begun discussions about building the wind turbines in Maryland waters, too, according to state and company officials.

Bluewater Wind, a New Jersey energy company, wants to put 150 turbines 11 1/2 miles off the coast of the resort town of Ocean City. If approved, the wind farm could one day provide enough power for 110,000 homes, according to Bluewater spokesman James Lanard.

"It's very preliminary," Lanard said of talks with Maryland officials. Bluewater has met with aides to Gov. Martin O'Malley and with members of the utility-regulating Public Service Commission.

The proposal, first reported Friday by The (Baltimore) Sun, would bring clean energy to Maryland but would change the view from Ocean City's beaches. Even from several miles away, the turbines would be visible from land.

Lanard said the turbines would look like "toothpicks," but residents who work on the waterfront had mixed opinions about the possibility of an offshore wind farm.

"Energy-wise it would probably be a good thing — but looks-wise, I don't know," said Terri Hathaway, a waitress at Boardwalk Joe's restaurant along the resort's beach.

Bluewater Wind is in talks to build the nation's first offshore wind farm off Sussex County, Del., near Rehoboth Beach, Lanard said. If approved, that farm could be completed by 2012 or 2013.

O'Malley spokesman Rick Abbruzzese said Friday that Bluewater officials have just started to talk about a Maryland wind farm with state officials. Approval would be needed from several agencies, from the PSC to the Department of Natural Resources, which would analyze the wind farm's potential effect on wildlife.

Abbruzzese said the governor found the wind proposal "an intriguing idea" but wants to learn more about it.

"We need to find ways to produce alternative forms of energy," he said.

A state environmental group applauded the idea to build turbines off the coast of Ocean City.

"Marylanders are becoming widely aware of how vulnerable we are to global warming and sea level rise," said Mike Tidwell of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network.

Tidwell said aesthetic concerns shouldn't block plans to build wind turbines. Waterfront homeowners who opposed view-changing turbines were blamed for stopping wind farm plans in Massachusetts. However, Tidwell said, the alternative of doing nothing to stop global warming is worse.

"If you say you don't want a dime-size windmill in the distance, we'll have to abandon all the hotels and all the houses and all the restaurants because the ocean's coming to swallow them," he said.

Not all beach denizens worried about the view. Angel Conner, manager of the Shoreham Hotel on Ocean's City's boardwalk, said she doubted people would stop coming to Ocean City because of wind turbines.

"I don't think it would affect us, as long as they could still see the water," Conner said.

Lanard, the Bluewater spokesman, said the company is aware that wind turbines are a new concept in the United States. He said the company is in no rush to build them because all stakeholders need a chance to learn about the proposal.

"It hasn't been done in the United States, so there's no frame of reference and we're trying to introduce the idea to folks," Lanard said.

• 8 months later...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bay_environment/bal-te.md.wind16jul16,0,4941990.story

Gov. Martin O'Malley threw his support yesterday behind a wind farm off the coast of Delaware - a clean energy-generating system that could eventually extend to the waters off Ocean City.

Maryland's support for the turbines 11 to 12 miles off Rehoboth Beach could be crucial toward launching the United States' first offshore wind energy project - one that potentially could produce enough power for hundreds of thousands of homes.

O'Malley's statement of interest in offshore wind power came in response to questions at a news conference about his position on President Bush's decision to lift an executive order prohibiting oil drilling off most of the U.S. coastline, a move that leaves a congressionally imposed ban in place.

The governor rejected Bush's position in harsh terms - calling the argument that it would help lower fuel prices "patently false" - before volunteering that the proposed project off the Delaware coast is "one offshore effort I would like to go in on."

While O'Malley did not explicitly endorse wind turbines off the Maryland coast, his comments reflected a willingness to consider such a proposal. His top energy adviser confirmed that building a field of turbines off Ocean City was one of several options under consideration.

O'Malley said he had talked with Delaware's Lt. Gov. John Carney at a National Governors' Association conference over the weekend and expressed his willingness to have Maryland participate in the Bluewater Wind project off the Delaware coast.

By encouraging Maryland utilities to purchase electricity generated by offshore turbines, the state could help the project achieve the economies of scale it needs to be viable, officials familiar with the proposal say.

The Bluewater Wind project has been the subject of discussion for years, but the proposed wind farm of about 60 turbines cleared important regulatory and legislative hurdles in Delaware only within the past month.

If it receives federal environmental approval, the project could be up and running by 2012.

Carney, a Democrat who is running for governor, said he sought out O'Malley at the governors meeting to discuss the project. "He was very positive and very excited about the opportunity," Carney said.

People worry about messing with the water. Anything they put offshore is great for fish and the like. Those oil rigs in the gulf have created entire eco systems around them. Things that were never there before. Tuna, dolphin, wahoo, marlin, all thrive around OIL rigs. Galviston Texas is rapidly becoming a huge offshore fishing destination. I'd love to have a couple fish attracting devices to go to everyday.

I for one, enjoy the sight of windmills on the landscape. There are places in California where there are more windmills than you can count.

I was up close to some in the Kahuku Mountains and they sound pretty cool when they're going. It's clean, safe energy.

I'd like to see pictures of the people that claim that windmills are eyesores. I'm willing to bet that many of them aren't exactly easy on the eyes.

First off, I support this as I do many different forms of energy, including oil.

My question is this, how many of you who support these wind machines, do not support offshore drilling because of the rigs of the coast?

People worry about messing with the water. Anything they put offshore is great for fish and the like. Those oil rigs in the gulf have created entire eco systems around them. Things that were never there before. Tuna, dolphin, wahoo, marlin, all thrive around OIL rigs. Galviston Texas is rapidly becoming a huge offshore fishing destination. I'd love to have a couple fish attracting devices to go to everyday.

If this is true then future white marlin opens should be pretty interesting in OC :)

First off, I support this as I do many different forms of energy, including oil.

My question is this, how many of you who support these wind machines, do not support offshore drilling because of the rigs of the coast?

I'll support this, but not offshore drilling. But the offshore drilling doesn't have anything to do with the looks.

People need to get over that whole "unsightliness" bullcrap.

How is seeing a 'toothpick' in the distance somehow worse than seeing rusty ship after rusty ship all day on the horizon? WTF? There will ALWAYS be something that is "unsightly". And then... there's always photoshop. ;)

If this is true then future white marlin opens should be pretty interesting in OC :)

It is definitely true, that is some of the best and most consistent deepwater fishing here.

I'm tellin ya! If we had a dozen or so oil rigs and fan things off the coast the whiteys would be climbing out of the water. I built 7 fads out of rope and a float at the top. Anchored it to the bottom where they disappeared completely out of sight. The fishing around those things the past year is MONEY. I say let em put anything they want out there. It'll just improve the life in and on the ocean.

Put them both out there! That'll just give us more to fish around. Especially here in OC. Everyone here loves chunking for tuna. If we had a few oilrigs to go to it wouldn't even be fair. look on youtube for oil rig fishing. I bet you'll find something.

Archived