Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Irrational Economy Thread

Fergasun

I dunno why I wanted to start this, but it seems like our economy is tanking and no one is really talking about it. I think we're going to be in for a long winter... and 2008... it's already getting pretty ugly out there for many of the housing and financial companies... but it's definately going to spread.

I'll freely admit that I've been seeing things for the last year or so that make me worry that things are being artificially propped up. Which, in turn, causes me to become, well, I guess the term is Norvous, that what's happening is that the market is trying to turn down, and it's being artificially inflated, and that eventually, the duct tape is going to fail, explosively.

OTOH, I know a lot less about the economy and international banking than I know about, well, almost everything.

The housing and financial problems are simply a correction to bad business practices ...the market will adjust(especially with the Fed propping them up) with those markets that shot up unreasonably(Cali) taking the biggest hit.

Oil prices? a result of stupidity by government and consumers.

It will likely continue.

This concludes the Poor Boys business report.

If you're so smart, why ain't you rich?

(Am I wrong, or are doing a tag-team comedy routine through about a half a dozen threads, today?)

I'm too lazy to be rich,it takes too much work to protect your money when someones always after it. ;)

And Yes, I'm stalking you :flowers:

well this is a happy thread.

Jees, it's like some of you have never heard of a recession. It happens. They last six months to a year. Not the end of the world. The economy will bounce back.

And no, you don't need to sell everything you have, buy gold, open a plumbing business, and live in a bomb shelter :doh:

well this is a happy thread.

Jees, it's like some of you have never heard of a recession. It happens. They last six months to a year. Not the end of the world. The economy will bounce back.

And no, you don't need to sell everything you have, buy gold, open a plumbing business, and live in a bomb shelter :doh:

The size of the recession is proportional to the size of the boom. We've had a nearly uninterrupted 16-year boom of phenomenal magnitude.

Bomb shelter? No. But conservative investments, hedging against a falling US dollar and making sure your industry is safe aren't awful things to be thinking about.

The size of the recession is proportional to the size of the boom. We've had a nearly uninterrupted 16-year boom of phenomenal magnitude.

Bomb shelter? No. But conservative investments, hedging against a falling US dollar and making sure your industry is safe aren't awful things to be thinking about.

I remember a recession in 2000, at least for part of the year.

And the US Economy has been growing at a rate of less than 5%. I think you need to choose a better term than "boom of phenomenal magnitude"

ESPECIALLY when our population has been growing at about 1.5% yearly.

Compare that to Chinese Economic growth of over 10%, and Japan's economy out-pacing the United States and the EU in 2005.

Know what I think? I think you're happiest predicting this kind of stuff, for whatever reason. :)

From 2000 to 2001, the US economy grew by 3.17%--sharply down from the 6% of the previous year, but far from a major recession. The following year growth was up to 3.37%, and it's been past 4% since.

China is an emerging economy; it has more room to grow. Japan's economy has been stagnant for fifteen years; outpacing the American economy for one period isn't that impressive.

Combine this with the fact that a lot of growth has been due to the real estate boom, and I think we have a problem.

I am far from happy predicting a US recession. I want the good times to continue. I want to be able to move back to the States and get a ridiculously high paying job one day.

see... that's why the US Economy always recovers. Optimism for the future and a can-do attitude.

We kick the pessimists out, they end up in places like Australia :D

(better watch it SHF... or of to Pakistan you go)

:laugh:

I always brag in these threads that I have created more jobs in the last 5 years then the previous 5 presidents combined

I certainly have an outlook that hey, we as Americans will get through it just fine. However the numbers and the facts simply show that something ugly is going to happen

And when it does, off to Dubai I go :laugh:

Speaking of speculative bubbles ready to burst...

If you go to Dubai, don't bring any sharp objects. :)

I think that is debatable right now, mainly because the Emir over there is doing it right (of course its my humble opinion only)

He is spending billions on the infrastructure. He has made doing business there tax free. Workers making less then 80k are not taxed, so you are getting some very bright people to go over there, and the population is still small at about 1.3 million in the emirate. Oil accounts for only 6 percent of GDP

So short term, 5-10 years, I think its a sound place to be. Now I'd rather not spend much more time then that in a 120 degree desert and like it here much more better, but why not head over there and clean up for a few years?

Archived