Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wet field + two evenly matched teams = coin flip.

sellyoursol

I'll preface this by stating that I am as frustrated with the way we lost this game as anyone else here. I fumed all evening, resisting the urge to post a venemous tirade directed at everyone on the team whom I felt was responsible. Now that I've had time to digest everything, I do not feel the same.

The bottom line is that we played against a team who is very similar to us, and the conditions we played in were really the deciding factor. A heavy, cold, wet ball and crappy footing let to most of the mistakes on both sides. Favre threw two BAD interceptions and should have had two more. We had two fumbles and a freakish interception. Once the injuries started to pile up for our OL, neither team really moved the ball effectively. It was simply an ugly game in which neither team could get a whole lot going as the conditions deteriorated. One fumble, one freak return was the difference in the outcome.

We are a good team on the verge of being very good we could ever get healthy. Our defense is of a championship caliber. Our offensive woes arent nearly as bad as in years past. We finally have a franchise QB who we ALL agree is an upgrade to ANYTHING we've had in the last 15 years. We have one of the most versatile tight ends in the league. Portis isn't a bum who can't hold onto the ball, he's a warrior who is playing despite a rash of nagging injuries. Moss is having a tough time adjusting to the flat ball that Jason throws, but he'll get there. If you've watched moss over the last several seasons, you've noticed that he catches the deep ball very close to his body. The ball has to be coming in from a steep angle to accomplish this, and he and Jason will work that out. ARE is becoming a legit #1 receiver as well. Hell, even Brandon Lloyd showed a good deal of effort yesterday. And McCardell looks to be a capable possession guy with some gas left in the tank. It ain't as bad as it seems, folks. We're very close.

Bottom line, I'll take the team that we have right now over anyone in the NFC when we're healthy. We're sitting at 3-2 with a very winnable game this coming Sunday. I doubt that 4-2 after six games would have been unacceptable to ANYONE HERE if offered up before the season started. If we can simply get healthy and sneak into the playoffs...no matter how...we have all of the pieces to do something very special.

We are a good team on the verge of being very good we could ever get healthy.

This means we are how many years from being a Super Bowl caliber team? Very good doesn't get it in this league.

If we can sneak in, and happen to make it to the SB, we will be eaten alive by any number of AFC teams. But as many on here have said....anything can happen.

We are not evenly matched at all. The Skins are the overall better team and the stats show it in all phases.

The scoreboard and the standings would prove your point to the contrary.

EDIT: I want to believe that we are better than Green Bay as well, but sometimes stats are misleading. They found a way to win the game yesterday, and they are 5-1. That is simply a fact. Statistics do dot get you a playoff berth. Wins do.

It's not that we lost. For me, its how we lost.

Simply looking at the team and the conditions (bad weather, on the road...) It's not a terrible game to lose.

Good teams dont lose games like that though. We had Green Bay right where we wanted them and we gave it away.

I think if we played that game again this week and it wasn't raining we would win the game easily. I'm the only one here that thinks the weather was the main reason for the loss but the injuries came from slipping on the turf, the oline consistantly could not get its footing and had a hard time blocking anyone, Portis and Moss's fumbles came when they were slipping to the ground, and Sean Taylors missed INT's happened when he was slipping. I don't think the better team won yesterday and believe the weather beat us more then the Packers did. But I'm alone in thinking this of course.

Go Skins!!!

We are not evenly matched at all. The Skins are the overall better team and the stats show it in all phases.

We beat the pants of the Packers in every stat except points (:(). We were clearly the better team on the field yesterday. Our QB was better, our WRs were getting open (but apparently didn't want to do anything with that open-ness), and our defense was clearly better, too.

Our drops cost us the game, plain and simple. We have been the better team on the field in both our losses. We should be 5-0 right now.

We definitely were the better team. But turnovers will kill you, especially when they are converted into points. In the end, the Moss fumble did us in. It could've been 14-10. However, I'm over it and I fully expect Moss to come back from this. I will support him no matter what.

I think if we played that game again this week and it wasn't raining we would win the game easily. I'm the only one here that thinks the weather was the main reason for the loss but the injuries came from slipping on the turf, the oline consistantly could not get its footing and had a hard time blocking anyone, Portis and Moss's fumbles came when they were slipping to the ground, and Sean Taylors missed INT's happened when he was slipping. I don't think the better team won yesterday and believe the weather beat us more then the Packers did. But I'm alone in thinking this of course.

Go Skins!!!

You are not alone.

I agree that we dominated them...we should have won big...but we can't have players choking on every thrown ball and expect to win. The Moss fumble shouldn't have made the difference in the game...but unfortunately it was. I still like that we played aggressive. I think the reverse to Moss was a pretty bad call in the rain...especially with the smart corners that GB has. But **** happens. This was much better than the Giants game in my opinion. At least we played aggressive from beginning to end. We just need to really limit the mistakes...especially against good defenses like GB because you never know when you'll get another chance.

I agree that we dominated them...we should have won big...but we can't have players choking on every thrown ball and expect to win. The Moss fumble shouldn't have made the difference in the game...but unfortunately it was. I still like that we played aggressive. I think the reverse to Moss was a pretty bad call in the rain...especially with the smart corners that GB has. But **** happens. This was much better than the Giants game in my opinion. At least we played aggressive from beginning to end. We just need to really limit the mistakes...especially against good defenses like GB because you never know when you'll get another chance.

I basically agree with your post here except for 1 thing. I think the reverse call is NEVER a good call because we have more failed attempts at that play then success. We have better luck at the Toss to Portis, Portis to Cooley play and we haven't seen that since 2005.

we were the better team statistically speaking in every category other than points off turnovers ... we're making good strides to get turnovers ... but INT'ing a deep pass on 3rd and long is almost the same as a punt.

There was only one turnover that would have made a difference in this game. The first possible INT could have been returned for a score by ST. That would have been the difference, the pack were able to force a turnover and score off of it.

We need to get better at putting points on the board, offensively, defensively and on special teams. I know that's vague, but that's basically what it boils down to in my mind.

Archived