Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Defensive Rankings (woot) - MERGED

TheGreek1973

Something I've always found irritating ... the NFL counts points scored against a team's offense against their defense. The fumble return TD by Woodson on Moss' fumble is being counted against Washington's defensive stats.

They have us for 69 points against. Should be 62.

You'd think the NFL wouldn't be quite that lazy in their stat analysis.

IMO

We are the #1 D in the league....

The actual defense only gave up 10 points yesterday...

and held the packers to 225 net yards....

and remember that 60 of those yards came on 1 play....

Our D is dominate...if we can find an o line and learn to execute an score 21-23 points we win the rest of the year....

I think it's safe to say that if New England puts up 40+ against us, Shula & Co. may have to start getting nervous.

That said, I think it's also safe to say that the only way on earth we (or anybody else) beats New England is running the ball and controlling the clock. If we can limit Brady's opportunities with long sustaining drives, keeping our defense fresh at the same time, there's no doubt in my mind we can beat them.

Problem is, running the ball takes an offensive line. :rolleyes:

I don't see the Pats putting 40+ up on us. In fact I already have a bet on that game, that the Patriots will not get 400+ yards against our defense. The Pats may beat us, but our D will not be picked apart for those long completions like Dallas was last night. If you're going to beat the Skins D, it has to be on the ground, and I don't think Kevin Faulk can do it. Expect long time consuming drives by NE, because that's the only way they'll move the ball down the field on us.

Something I've always found irritating ... the NFL counts points scored against a team's offense against their defense. The fumble return TD by Woodson on Moss' fumble is being counted against Washington's defensive stats.

They have us for 69 points against. Should be 62.

You'd think the NFL wouldn't be quite that lazy in their stat analysis.

63. PAT's are scored against the special teams/defense.

A wise man told me before, offense wins you games, but defense wins championships. We will be a Top 5 unit all season long.

While I see the logic in that ... I would LOVE to see us put up 35 points a game, even if we gave up 31. I like to see those scores. A game where we won 3 - 0 would be a darn BORING game for me.

63. PAT's are scored against the special teams/defense.

Fair enough.

Let's petition the NFL to get their **** together.

And while we're at it, let's tell them that drops and deflected passes for INT's should count against the guys with the stone hands, not the QB's who threw them the rock.

To be fair Om, these things tend to even out over the course of a season. Favre did throw a nice TD that was called back by a questionable holding call. Another one from a questionable force-out non-call, followed by a missed 36-yard FG attempt.

The defense played really, really well. I think the stats bear it out.

Our D is easily the best in the NFL. I hope we kill the Cards and go into Foxboro with load of confidence.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling we will upset the Pats. I just do.

I'd be amazed, I really havent thought we could at all. Ive been saying we should play our scrubs and give our starters a week to recover, but Ive been daydreaming abuot our secondary giving them problems.

PS, that sig with Lupe is sick,

To be fair Om, these things tend to even out over the course of a season. Favre did throw a nice TD that was called back by a questionable holding call.

Henry, Henry, Henry. What I have told you about reading Peter King? :)

If that hold on Daniels was "questionable," I'm Tinkerbell. Only reason Favre gets rid of the ball in the first place is Daniels can't break the hold.

Someone seriously needs to produce a .gif of that play to post on this board and cc to Mr. King.

Another one from a questionable force-out non-call, followed by a missed 36-yard FG attempt.

With you on the first--once I saw the replay I thought it was a force-out too. I did NOT think it was live. Happily, neither did the zebra.

On the second, seems to me stoning GB on first and second from inside our own 10, then coming up with a huge 12-yard sack to change at worst a 25-yard FG attempt into a 38-yarder more than mitigates in favor of the defense. That was no gift miss--it was earned.

The defense played really, really well. I think the stats bear it out.

Of course it does. Stats are for MMQB purposes only, we both know that. And the above arguments are nitpicked only for the fun of it.

My only point is that if the league is going to keep official stats, and we're going to invest so much time and interest in analyzing them, seems to me they might as well try to keep them right. :)

This defense has me really excited about this team. We can go a long way behind these guys. Campbell is playing great, he'll get the balls in the receivers hands. We will start to catch the ball, and then this will be an elite team. We really only have to be average on offense with this defense. I think Greg Williams is doing an amazing job, he has put players like Taylor in the best positions to make plays. We have much to be hopeful for.

Our D is easily the best in the NFL. I hope we kill the Cards and go into Foxboro with load of confidence.

I'd be amazed, I really havent thought we could at all. Ive been saying we should play our scrubs and give our starters a week to recover, but Ive been daydreaming abuot our secondary giving them problems.

PS, that sig with Lupe is sick,

We definitely have the best defense in the league. We get sacks, we cause turnovers, and we knock heads where appropriate. The Pack only got 10 points from their offense yesterday, and they were the number one passing offense going into the game. GW has his system going full throttle, and there's nothing opposing offenses can throw at us to fluster us.

Our D is easily the best in the NFL.

Nah, the Pats and Steelers are definitely better than ours (our biggest weaknesses are still pass coverage and pass rush).

Which leads me to the second point...

Tap the breaks on the homer train. Did you see them yesterday? The Pats are incredible. Their defense is better than ours and their offense is light years ahead of ours. And we are playing there. On what basis would you think we will beat the Pats?

I doubt the Pats look any game this season unless they tank it themselves. No one can beat the Pats when they are on.

Check this out.......

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=0015&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2007&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Find

PPG allowed: 13.8

tot. points allowed: 69

YPG allowed: 259

Rush ypg allowed: 79.6

rush yard avg per game: 3.7

Pass ypg allowed: 179.4

total pass yds allowed: 897

opponents qb pass rating avg per game: 58.1

Pass TD allowed: 2

Ints:6

Sacks: 15

YPP allowed: 4.2

1st downs per game allowed: 15.6

3rd down % allowed: 31

Penalties: 21

Pan. yards: 146

Time of possession allowed per game: 29:13

Our D is amazing. Best it's been in a while.

Archived