Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop with the trick plays?

nneece

I've been saying this ever since Saunders got here - someone needs to smack him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and say "NO! BAD PLAYCALLER! BAD! REVERSES DON'T WORK! BAD!"

You're right. Saunders is a bad playcaller because he should have known that Santana would miss the running lane and cough up the football.:rolleyes:

I know Saunders has a huge play book and is an offensive genius, but can we stop with the trick plays that seem to never work? Not once have I seen this reverse with Moss gain any appreachible yardage. It takes too long too develop and by the time he is on the other side of the field someone on the defense has figured it out and made a play. Same with the Randel El throwing the ball. I've only seen this play produce 1 time. What looks really bad, in my opinion, is that we run a pretty conservative offense most of the game. Once a game or so we dust off 1 of these plays and trott it out, as if to say, this is our special play we've been saving up for.

It is a sad day When the Redskins consider a reverse a Trick Play.

It is a trick play when Moss, a WR, gets the ball. You don't typically give the WR the ball in the backfield. This is a play that cost us the game, though not the sole reason, nor in my opinion the most important, reason we lost.

So does that mean that screen passes are trick plays now?

You're right. Saunders is a bad playcaller because he should have known that Santana would miss the running lane and cough up the football.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying that at all. Actually, Saunders' playcalling has been a lot better this year; more in tune with our strengths as a team. What I am saying is that it's almost becoming an inside joke among Redskins fans - the one failed reverse per game. My friends and I have joked about starting a pool, betting on when it will come during the game. For some reason we keep running it, and for some reason it never works.

A reverse is not a trick play its just another way to get the ball into the hands of your playmakers..and counter an agressive pursuit....

The play was wide open

Santana had blockers out in front and tried to cut back and blew it ...

dont be fairweather and talk about the play calling because just like any other play when it works it was a great call....and this one worked

Santana just fumbled...its not our play calling its more execution....

Positive yardage or not, the end result was a fumble and run back for a TD. My point is I have never seen this play produce good results for the Skins. And I consider it a trick play because you are handing the ball to the WR in the back field, something you don't see every day.

Positive yardage or not, the end result was a fumble and run back for a TD. My point is I have never seen this play produce good results for the Skins. And I consider it a trick play because you are handing the ball to the WR in the back field, something you don't see every day.

Well, you can't watch football every day. But I would guess that there is an average of 1.5 reverses/end-arounds run in every single NFL game.

In the rain...a trick play isn't the best idea, but I don't think it was all that bad. I think the worst call yesterday was the reverse to Moss against the Packers corners that gave them the win. You can't do that in the rain against physical corners...it was boneheaded :doh:

This type of play can work...but why use it in that situation? We didn't need to resort to that type of play at that moment in the game imo. And a pitch on 3 & 1? Ridiculous IMO! Where the heck was Sellers in the 2nd half? I didn't see him on the field much after half time.

There are time and places for the "trick" plays. We didn't need to go this at that point in the game. I've always viewed trick plays as a desperation play..."let's run an end around and see if we can get something going" type of play. I do believe that they were grasping into thin air to get Moss going. It was purely an attempt to get him something to get back a small amount of confidence. Of course that's just my opinion.:cool: Take it as such:)

I agree. It's not the fact that we run trick plays. It's the timing of it almost always seems inappropriate. We need to learn when and where to use these types of plays.

Same old story...

If it had gone for 12 with no fumble...this play might as well have never happened as far as this board is concerned.

What were all our Battleships doing in Pearl Harbor anyway?! The Admiral of the Navy should have been fired.

man... fans are fickle....

"we should just run the ball" "we should just stick to short passes to cooley" ....

yet if we lost, all we would hear on here is "gibbs has no killer instinct" "we cant put games away"

If we are going to stick with the run and short passes we may as well stuck with Brunell :)

In other words... could we STOP with the NO GAIN reverse hand off runs. They've never worked here. :doh:

haha...

what happened to throwing WR screens??? we have 2 of the most elusive recievers in the game, our recievers are decent blockers, and it has worked for the past 2 years. b.lloyd is not the quickest guy in the world, and even he took one for 9 yards

Seriously. Every week I just wait for the one failed reverse of the game. You know it's coming. I've been saying this ever since Saunders got here - someone needs to smack him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and say "NO! BAD PLAYCALLER! BAD! REVERSES DON'T WORK! BAD!"

That's exactly how I feel. You know it's coming every week and so does every team we play. It never works and this week it wasn't just the usual loss of yards, it lost us the game. And, of all weeks to run it, you run it in the rain against a good defense with both of your speed guys coming off of hamstring injuries?!?! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!! Saunders should tear that page out of his playbook and shred it before he gets Santana or ARE sidelined for the year. An "offensive genius" can surely do better than that.

haha...

what happened to throwing WR screens??? we have 2 of the most elusive recievers in the game, our recievers are decent blockers, and it has worked for the past 2 years. b.lloyd is not the quickest guy in the world, and even he took one for 9 yards

Or we could use him this way...

:laugh:

A reverse is a misdirection play, thereby being a trick play. Not the trickiest of all trick plays, but certainly trickier than the non-trick plays.

All that aside, if the play works the coaches are super smart, if it results in a fumble going back the other way, they're back in the dunce column (see: Giants, NY).

It's all about what the coaches think will work at the time, and oh yeah, execution. Really it's that in a nutshell.

Bring on the Cards!

It was a good call IMO Moss just needs to hold on to the ball. Even JC said as much they got them in perfect coverage to call the play and had it set up for big yardage. The DL that stripped the ball beat Kendall and Samules to bust up the play. Had our two linemen sealed the corner and contolled their man Moss would have gone for 10+ yards (to the outside; once the DL blew it up Moss tried to cutback and slipped on the wet grass). The bottom line is that defensive lineman made a great play to beat our best blockers and forced the turnover. Give credit where credit is due the defensive palyer made a great play.

This is the most accurate statement of the thread so far.

:applause:

Our O Line got beat by a good player on the other side, which caused a change in play design, and coupled with conditions, caused a turnover and subsequent return TD.

This just goes to show you how intricate of a machine an NFL football team really is.

When certain parts of the machine begin to fail or work less effeciently, other parts have to pick up the slack and are therefore depleted more rapidly.

Too many failed or underperforming parts yesterday, coaches included.

Execution on offense has been the reason why we have lost this year.

Outscored 21-0 in 2nd half vs. Giants. Outscored 10-0 in 2nd half vs. Packers.

I hate to say it, but Moss and Portis have hurt us in both losses. And in both losses, at critical times at the ends of the games, one or the other was NOT on the field.

This is an obvious problem with lack of execution on offense.

As far as Defense goes........:notworthy.

The end around sucks. It is without question, the single worst play we run.

And we continue to run it over and over again. Like every team in the league doesn't practice this during the week....knowing we are going to use it?

The play takes seven seconds before the handoff is even made.....and it is six-nine yards behind the line. With our offensive line banged up....is it any wonder why half of the defensive line is already in our backfield by the time Moss or Ranle El get the ball?

It is embarrassing.

You want to surprise a team.....and have a chance for a 60 yard gain? Run a flea-flicker......don't do the stupid end around for the eightieth time.

haha...

They threw one to Betts instead and it actually worked. :applause:

Archived