Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Moss encouraged after testing groin

D-Day

Link (for the rest of the article)

There was a bounce in Santana Moss' step yesterday.

"I feel great," the Washington Redskins' No. 1 receiver said yesterday after he missed practice again but ran routes for the first time since he strained a groin on Sept. 23 against the New York Giants. "I ran pretty good. That's all I wanted. I did what I had to do today. I ran some routes [without coverage] That's a different kind of route [than if] someone's pulling on you. But the speed I ran it at and putting your foot in the ground and planting, everything was great."

Coach Joe Gibbs was not nearly as buoyant, terming Moss doubtful and reiterating twice that he hadn't practiced.

"It might be a situation where he warms up before the game [and plays] and it might not," Gibbs said.

Moss, who missed much of the spring with a sports hernia-type injury and two games last year with a hamstring injury, leads the Redskins with 12 catches after ranking first with 55 last year and 84 in 2005 when he made the Pro Bowl in his Washington debut.

"I'm not pleasantly surprised," Moss said of his improved condition. "I'm more just happy to be at this stage. I hate having something bothering me. When I'm feeling better that's when my spirits are better. [but] I didn't practice all week so it's up to Coach Gibbs."

Encouraging, I hope he plays.

If playing this week puts him at risk then I say sit him. Santana is just too important.

I kind of feel the same way, but I also want him to play. I think Joe will only allow him to play if he feels no pain or tightness in the groin.

Can't blame Coach for being a bit tentative with Santana here. Best source of information about how he's doing is Santana himself. He wants to play of course, but there may be some risk there. "No really coach. I'm fine. It's great. 2 days ago I could barely run on it, today though, man it's awsome."

"Uh huh."

I just hope this isn't another episode like Smoot's. Smoot said for 2 weeks he was feeling great, and ended up not playing. I really hope Moss is ready to go, because he is very important to our offense. With him out of the lineup, I feel Detroit will feel more comfortable sending more blitzes, or stacking the box with a Safety. We don't have another receiver that demands Safety help over the top like Moss does. I hope he plays, but I don't want him making this thing worse.

I would much rather have Moss sit out one more game. It's not worth it to aggravate his injury when he's had 2 solid weeks to recover and NOT miss a game in that time. It would be wise to keep him out against Detroit. I don't see how we'd need him against such a bad defense anyway.

Be super smart, Santana!! Ride the bench one more week! We'll understand. You've got 12 other games this year that are much more important than this one.

I would much rather have Moss sit out one more game. It's not worth it to aggravate his injury when he's had 2 solid weeks to recover and NOT miss a game in that time. It would be wise to keep him out against Detroit. I don't see how we'd need him against such a bad defense anyway.

Be super smart, Santana!! Ride the bench one more week! We'll understand. You've got 12 other games this year that are much more important than this one.

I have to disagree. When your team has the look of an 8-8 team, each game can determine whether you'll end up making the playoffs. When we have pretty much no one behind Randle El that is even an NFL caliber receiver, I think he has to go. It isn't preseason anymore and we aren't good enough to be saving guys for a playoff push. If he is running full speed and cutting-- play him. If Gibbs extends his conservativeness even further by not playing him just b/c he didn't practice, even though he feels great, I'll be thoroughly aggravated.

Archived