Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I can't believe...

Larry Brown #43

if Tampa were to switch uniforms back to the ones they used to lose in, they would probably get caught on the short end of a 40-10 type score in San Diego :)

hey, there is no proof to support our superstitions, but on the other hand there is no reason to risk it :D

Hey Man, those were the coolest looking uniforms in the league at the time. I remember playing with the Electric Football Boards and everybody wanted the Tampa Bay Bucs electric football team because the uniforms were awesome "BABY". That's when I originally became a true redskin fan. Because all they had at the 5 and Dime was the Falcons, Giants and Redskins. Well! the old Redskin uniforms were slick, but I hated getting stuck with Billy Kilmer as my QB.

Hey! remember you could paint your own uniforms and teams:laugh: I would pack so much paint on my offensive line that they would totaly blow away all my friends defensive players.

Man! those were the good ole days.

Originally posted by gridironmike

You know, with so much being mentioned about Gruden and Oakland, nobody is talking about Tony Dungy. I wonder what his thoughts are. Gruden took them the next step, but Dungy brought that franchise out of the 20 year doldrums.

Dungy does deserve a lot of credit for building that team. Gruden actually gave Dungy some credit immediately following the game while he was being interviewed on the field.

However, if Dungy was still the coach that game would have been over after the first TD after Brian Mitchell's return. That no TDs in the playoffs for Dungy's teams thing has developed a life of it's own and has become self-fulfilling.

In a way, Dungy has become the black Marty.

Did someone say Dungy? Here is a story I read yesterday this morning...

Dungy glad for Buccaneers

Tue Jan 21, 8:01 AM ET Add Sports - USA TODAY to My Yahoo!

Jarrett Bell USA TODAY

SAN DIEGO -- Tony Dungy won't be at Super Bowl XXXVII in the flesh, but the former Tampa Bay Buccaneers (news) coach will be there in spirit.

''I'm really happy for the guys who have been there through all of it,'' Dungy said Monday, a day after the Bucs secured their first Super Bowl berth. ''John Lynch, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Mike Alstott -- those guys persevered through some tough times. They deserve to be there.

''But I feel for some of the other guys who had a part in building the foundation, Martin Mayhew, Paul Gruber, Lonnie Marts, Trent Dilfer, who never got a chance to go the Super Bowl with the Bucs.''

Dungy, fired a year ago because he couldn't guide the Bucs to the ultimate game and replaced by Jon Gruden, was speaking on the phone from Tampa, of all places.

''It's kind of ironic, isn't it?'' he said.

He still has a home there, and this is the week that Dungy, now the Indianapolis Colts (news) coach, gave his staff off. So, he's feeling the Super fever in those parts firsthand.

Yet despite seeing Gruden quickly accomplish a mission that escaped him, there's no bitterness in Dungy's voice. Instead he sounds like a proud father seeing his teenagers -- in this case, players he helped develop -- graduate.

And Gruden?

''Jon deserves a lot of credit,'' said Dungy, who coached the Bucs for six seasons. ''He went into a tough situation, where expectations were so high that nothing short of a Super Bowl would be good enough. He dealt with that. He's a good coach. I'm sure he knows it's not easy to get there.''

Gruden has genuine respect for Dungy, too. He mentioned Dungy during his postgame news conference in Philadelphia on Sunday. And during a December interview at the Bucs' headquarters, Gruden had this to say about the man he replaced: ''I realized how sensitive it was when I got here. The players in that locker room love Tony Dungy. Then all of a sudden, here I come. I had to earn their respect. But I've never lost sight of the great job Tony did here.''

The Bucs were a downtrodden franchise that hadn't had a winning season in 13 years when Dungy arrived in 1996. After they became a contender, though, they kept falling short in the playoffs. The previous two seasons ended at the Vet in Philadelphia, with the offense failing to score a touchdown in either game. Before that, they advanced to the NFC title game at St. Louis and nearly scored an upset but lost 11-6.

''We had a bunch of chances,'' said Dungy, who took the Bucs to the playoffs four times. ''Through all of that, the thing I kept telling the team was that every year is a new year. This year they took advantage of their opportunities.''

Of course, Dungy would rather be a Super Bowl participant than observer. His Colts won five road games and earned a wild-card berth. But the season ended with a thud -- an embarrassing 41-0 drubbing by the New York Jets (news).

Again, a Dungy-coached team couldn't score a TD in the playoffs.

''We just weren't quite consistent enough,'' Dungy said of the season. ''We have to try to do what Tampa did, get a little closer and keep building on it.''

Listen. I dislike the Bucs as much as anyone here, especially when we're playing them, but the only way we're getting our revenge for '84, this year anyway, is through the Bucs.

Tonight, ESPN showed that freaking Joey T screen pass with 12 seconds to go in the half that Squirek intercepted. If you were around then, that was like a knife right into the ribs.

Screw the freaking Raiders and those Raider-nation psychos. I want the Bucs to kick their a$$es!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, since all you GUYS are talking fashion, I suppose I can safely ask this here: have they announced who is wearing white on Sunday?

Personally, I think the new Tampa uniform looks great when they wear that eletric red, but I hate the red numbers when they wear the white jerseys. They need to switch to black numerals. :)

The Raiders look great in black, but they squashed the Redskins in them in the Super Bowl and I have never forgiven them for that ....... so I hope it's Tampa in red and Oakland in white.

Aren't you all glad I shared that? :laugh:

And for the record, I think the Raiders will win, but I'll be rooting for Tampa Bay. I don't like Warren Sapp or Keyshaw Johnson much, but Brad Johnson is a good man. And Gruden is fun to watch. ;)

Originally posted by Candy

Well, since all you GUYS are talking fashion, I suppose I can safely ask this here: have they announced who is wearing white on Sunday?

Personally, I think the new Tampa uniform looks great when they wear that eletric red, but I hate the red numbers when they wear the white jerseys. They need to switch to black numerals. :)

The Raiders look great in black, but they squashed the Redskins in them in the Super Bowl and I have never forgiven them for that ....... so I hope it's Tampa in red and Oakland in white.

Aren't you all glad I shared that? :laugh:

And for the record, I think the Raiders will win, but I'll be rooting for Tampa Bay. I don't like Warren Sapp or Keyshaw Johnson much, but Brad Johnson is a good man. And Gruden is fun to watch. ;)

Good question Candy...I was thinking about that too. I believe the Raiders will be wearing black and the Bucs will be wearing white. Since the game is being played in an AFC stadium, I believe the Raiders would technically be the home team, so they would get to choose. And they would choose black, as they always do when they play at home. I haven't heard officially, but that's my guess.

For all you guys that are wishing a Raider win and hate the Bucs let me ask you this:

How would you feel if the Redskins never won or even made it to a superbowl, and you suffered through the past the Bucs had and people were wishing you would lose your first appearance to a team that has Three lombardi's already and Al Davis as thier owner?

I know you can't imagine it because your spoiled with titles & good history already. I know everyone is entitled to thier opinion, but it just seems selfish and cynical to wish further failure to the Bucs who's fans have suffered for so long.

I don't know what it is but I have almost a calm about this game like I feel that this is our destiny to shake the past this Sunday.

Originally posted by One Dollar

For all you guys that are wishing a Raider win and hate the Bucs let me ask you this:

How would you feel if the Redskins never won or even made it to a superbowl, and you suffered through the past the Bucs had and people were wishing you would lose your first appearance to a team that has Three lombardi's already and Al Davis as thier owner?

I know you can't imagine it because your spoiled with titles & good history already. I know everyone is entitled to thier opinion, but it just seems selfish and cynical to wish further failure to the Bucs who's fans have suffered for so long.

I don't know what it is but I have almost a calm about this game like I feel that this is our destiny to shake the past this Sunday.

It's a good point $1, but there are other teams and fans that have suffered a lot more than the Bucs. The Bucs have only existed since '76. True it took awhile to even get a first win, but there are worse franchises out there. So I'm not going to get all teary-eyed if the Bucs lose.

I'd gladly support the Bucs if they won with class. But any class they have is offset by Sapp and K. Johnson. I cannot root for a team that has two of the most obnoxious loud mouths in the league.

The difference between the Redskins (and some other multiple Super Bowl winners) has been coaching. Would they have won anything without Gibbs? Possibly, but not likely. Tough to beat a Hall of Fame coach who has the complete support of the ownership and the FO. I hate to admit it, but Gibbs is the best football coach I've ever seen. I'd take him in a minute over anybody.

Since I can't stand either team in the SB, I'll just hope it's an entertaining game featuring big hits on Me-shawn and an invisible Sapp.

Dollar

Don't take it personal. Most of us wanted the bucs to win last week. And me, I like the bucs. Since I moved to FL they have become my adopted FL team. I still bleed burgandy and gold but I root for the bucs whenever it doesn't hurt my Redskins.

This is going to be an odd Superbowl for me though. I like both the bucs and the raiders. On one hand I would be thrilled for the bucs if they win it, on the other hand I love the raiders offese and I wouldn't mind seeing Rice win one more. So I'll just say good luck, and may the best team win.

:cheers:

i think it's more everyone hates Sapp and Keyshawn than they hate the Bucs

it makes no difference to me who wins

since there's no Raider fans on this board, i'll wish your team good luck

Trust me, I can imagine what your saying.

:pint:

And I'm still rooting for the Raiders :silly: I'm very bitter still toward the Bucs right now, and seeing them crash and burn would be wonderful- but every fan deserves their team to get a title.

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

but every fan deserves their team to get a title.

True, but there are more deserving teams than the Bucs, but it seems that the Bucs are the only ones playing. If only they didn't have the two loudmouths.

I like Gruden, Lynch, Alstott, B. Johnson, Rice, etc. and they deserve a championship. Maybe Keshawn and Sapp will retire before kickoff. ;)

Well the Rams had a DUI murderer on thier SB winning team...

and the Ravens had "I'm not guilty" Ray Lewis on thier winning SB team.

Sapp and Keyshawn are angels compared to them. You only hate them because they are not on your team and they speak thier mind with no sugercaoted BS media messaged statements.

You only hate them because they are not on your team and they speak thier mind with no sugercaoted BS media messaged statements.

$1,

I don't hate anyone. Life's too short. They do add some color to a game for their opponents, but if they were on my team I still wouldn't like them.

Best of luck to your team in the big one!

Archived