Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about that Eagles' Front Office...

tr1

Though it is quite early in the season, we need to start examining the myth of the infallibility of the Eagles' front office.

Without a doubt, their two biggest free agent acquisitions in the last few years were TO and Kearse. Well, we all know what happened with TO in Philly, but Kearse has not been the same guy they picked up at free agency time. It may be the injury he sustained has really affected him, but he wasn't playing all that great until just before he got injured.

And then there is the drafting of the defensive line and linebackers. Is Gaither an adequate replacement for Trotter? Well, Trotter is old and slow, but Gaither doesn't seem to be the guy they need in the middle...he'll never replace a prime-time Trotter.

As for Bunkley, well, I'd say you give a d-lineman at least three years before declaring him a bust, but he'll need to do more than just flash on occasion.

No...the real failure for the Eagles is their ability to let talent escape and think that McNabb and Westbrook can carry the team... They're desire to save a buck is coming back to haunt them.

McNabb without WRs and a slippery RB is gonna look helpless a lot from here on out.

And somebody needs to talk Andy into a hiatus.

This argument always comes down to money, and I don't think that's the primary reason they've made some of their decisions to let players go. And, if a team is competitive as long as they have/had been, some kudos should be given to the FO.

I was never a huge fan of Kearse. Seemed to me he lived off of his rookie year and that he's always had injury problems. Eagles should have taken a note from other teams. Teams do not let top-flight DEs, QBs or CBs go normally.

As to TO, it was a shame things couldn't work out with him because the O was unstoppable when he was there. AR's stubborness equals my dad.

Their efforts at trying to get a true stud DE have been ongoing since Hugh Douglas left for JAX. Kearse, McDougle, and Howard are not the answers, and similiar to teams that are searching for a franchise QB, if you use a lot of resources (draft, FA) on a key position like DE and they don't pan out, it sets you back.

I honestly believe they're going to spend some money this offseason, as they're going to have to add help in the defensive backfield. As good as Lito is, he can't be counted on as a starter, and they need a starting safety to replace Dawk.

If you have a stable coaching staff/system, a franchise QB and decent OL/DL, you should be more successful than not. Look at NE & Indy. Indy has kept their WRs, and DE, but otherwise everyone can come and go into that system and they're still successful. NE doesn't even seem to need skill players, and when they get them they're almost indestructible.

For the Eagles, if the season continues as it's going now, there has to be major changes made. Question is, what do they do with McNabb?

PF

The thing that i love is that the Eagles are and have been the MEDIA DARLINGS OF THE NFL. They can do no wrong it seems...yet havent won the SB to justify all this.

Before the season everyone maimed the Redskins on how we have no O-line depth...we were weak behind our starters. Yet we lost Dockery (found Kendall), lost Jansen (inserted Wade) and lost Thomas (inserted Fabini/DeMulling). Things have turned out alright for our O-line so far. Not to say our current/new O-line is that of the '91 Hogs or anything but its holding its own and I think its safe to say we have patched things together.

On the other hand the Eagles O-lined looked like a PeeWee football team joke last night. Nobody ever criticized their lack of depth. This clown Justice got embarrased along with the rest of them last night.....12 sacks??!?!?!?? Are you kidding me????? I guess they dont have any depth problems???

Furthermore, the Eagles struggle and go 0-2...then win ONE game at home vs. the Lions (who are indeed decent this year) and the world thinks they are back on the path to the Super Bowl. Its just so comical....then they come back after the Lions win and get embarrased on National TV.

So is McNabb injured? is he just healthy but playing bad? One week he loses to the Redskins and he's "injured"...and the next week he dominates the Lions and all of the sudden he's healthy???

How about the Eagles arent as good as everyone makes them out to be.

The thing that i love is that the Eagles are and have been the MEDIA DARLINGS OF THE NFL. They can do no wrong it seems...yet havent won the SB to justify all this.

How about the Eagles arent as good as everyone makes them out to be.

You ought to know by now that the sports media is like an amateur stock trader - they chase returns. Experts use mostly previous years finishes to determine where they think teams will finish this year. Other reason media probably like(d) them was up until this year they performed very well on prime time television. This year...not so much.

If you have a stable coaching staff/system, a franchise QB and decent OL/DL, you should be more successful than not.

Bingo. This is the surest path to success in the NFL. The first two components, especially, with the franchise QB being the top requirement. I think a lot of coaches could win with Brady or Manning as their QB :).

The problem is that the Philly model has been breaking down and they've done a poor job in drafting in recent years. At this point, it is clear that Westbrook is the only playmaker they have on offense and w/o him they are in a heap of trouble. Sitting him tonight and letting him heal up through the bye was painful in the short-term, but probably a wise long-term decision for the season. They'll need him to have any sort of chance. They also need to hope that McNabb just isn't fully healthy yet, rather than the alternative that he is in decline.

I give the Eagles a ton of credit for finding Donovan McNabb and locking him up in a long-term contract, but that's about it.

Of course, I was saying this 3 years ago as well :)

The Westbrook pick was amazing, but that's all the fat man.

But for all their picks used on Oline, they sure didn't look like they had good depth.

Contrast that with the skins losing Thomas, Dockery, and Samuels. They're doing pretty good in comparison with more injury.

Oh, come on. When did Spurrier's OL give up 12 sacks with a mobile QB, which they never had? Please! The Eagles had 14 yards net passing last night with a solid QB in McNabb and all of their receivers. Spurrier inherited a horrible interior line when he came here.

Few DE's get big numbers in Johnson's system. Kearse is no exception but his teammates love his attitude. The Eagles lead the NFL in sacks coming into last night's game though. Who is the Raider DE who lead the league in sacks last year or the year before after leaving the Eagles. The Eagles constantly rotate their DL. The system has worked well for a LONG time, so why change it? The Giants didn't do much last night against them with Lito and Dawkins out.

Kearse was a very good linebacker in college. They switched him to DE in the NFL his first year. I always thought he would make a better LB in the pros.

Oh, come on. When did Spurrier's OL give up 12 sacks with a mobile QB, which they never had? Please! The Eagles had 14 yards net passing last night with a solid QB in McNabb and all of their receivers. Spurrier inherited a horrible interior line when he came here.

Few DE's get big numbers in Johnson's system. Kearse is no exception but his teammates love his attitude. The Eagles lead the NFL in sacks coming into last night's game though. Who is the Raider DE who lead the league in sacks last year or the year before after leaving the Eagles. The Eagles constantly rotate their DL. The system has worked well for a LONG time, so why change it? The Giants didn't do much last night against them with Lito and Dawkins out.

Kearse was a very good linebacker in college. They switched him to DE in the NFL his first year. I always thought he would make a better LB in the pros.

i don't get this post at all? we are talking about the eagles offensive problems and you blow up about their DE's?

my point in comparing Philly's O' line to Spurrier days was spurned from the comments by Strahan and Osi Whateverhisnameis who both said that they left Justice by himself too much.

Not sure what Jevon Kearse has to do with that, but ok.

']I am not blaming the FO for their loss last night. It is the coaches fault for not realizing that Winston Justice needed help after the first five sacks by Osi. Umenyiora owned that guy every way possible and the Eagles' coaches refused for whatever reason to give him help. That is on them.

Totally agree with this. The coaching staff has to put its players in positions to succeed. I would still love to have Philly's o-line depth and there is no way those guys, including Justice, are anywhere near as bad as they looked last night.

I would still love to have Philly's o-line depth and there is no way those guys, including Justice, are anywhere near as bad as they looked last night.

I kind of see what you're getting at, but I wonder why you would say this. The Redskins have already gone 3-deep into their bench this season for OL and haven't embarrassed themselves, if not experienced moderate success. The Eagles go one man into their reserves and tie a highly undesirable league record.

I realize the Redskin coaching staff did a better job of preparing and helping out the OL, but, then again, they also have a larger hurdle to overcome. Besides, they didn't help out THAT much. It just seems curious that you still covet the Eagles' OL depth, even though the Redskins OL depth has proven to be demonstrably superior.

At some point, draft status is pretty irrelevant. I know the Eagles have these highly-regarded prospects in reserve, but it apparently hasn't translated into production. The Eagles have some senior citizens on their OL, yet the youngsters can't crack the lineup. Doesn't sound very Eagle-like, maybe they're just not that good?

I kind of see what you're getting at, but I wonder why you would say this. The Redskins have already gone 3-deep into their bench this season for OL and haven't embarrassed themselves, if not experienced moderate success. The Eagles go one man into their reserves and tie a highly undesirable league record.

I realize the Redskin coaching staff did a better job of preparing and helping out the OL, but, then again, they also have a larger hurdle to overcome. Besides, they didn't help out THAT much. It just seems curious that you still covet the Eagles' OL depth, even though the Redskins OL depth has proven to be demonstrably superior.

At some point, draft status is pretty irrelevant. I know the Eagles have these highly-regarded prospects in reserve, but it apparently hasn't translated into production. The Eagles have some senior citizens on their OL, yet the youngsters can't crack the lineup. Doesn't sound very Eagle-like, maybe they're just not that good?

What's really amazing is that the Eagles will get TOO much credit for everything they do. Every year-they always "have one of the best drafts".

Overall-I think they draft well. However-they've had their share of misfires in recent years. If anything, if the likes of Justice were drafted by Dallas and Washington, the national media pundits would be clobbering them.

Good points Sunny. The primary allure of the Eagle's depth is the youth. The Redskins' depth consists of some older crusty vets.

I have yet to be overly impressed with Wade and Fabini as starters. My off the cuff impression is that they are experienced players who can come in and give you some quality starts without completely disrupting the offense. However they don't strike me as guys that you can rely on or as guys that can take it to the next level.

The Eagles depth, while totally inexperienced, still has that "potential" tag. I'd like to have some of that on the Redskins. These guys might end up being terrible and I'll feel fortunate that I don't have to watch their careers sink into oblivion. However I don't think Sunday's game was about them. Thats on Reid.

Well I gotta disagree with the some things from the original post.

Brodrick Bunkley is playing great, and Omar Gaither is also playing very well.

The Eagles run defense is ranked 5th in the NFL currently, and a lot of that credit goes to the impact of Bunkley. He is a major upgrade over Darwin Walker, who is terrible against the run. Bunkley also has two sacks on the year.

With Bunkley, and Patterson playing well in front of Omar, he is able to get in on a lot of tackles. He has 24 already, two passes defended, and a very big interception. He has only made a few mistakes, and I see him getting better as he gets more experience.

As far as talent escaping the team, what big talent has escaped? The only players I really wish the Eagles had kept over the past five years, has been Derrick Burgess, and Rod Hood.

I know the Giants game was horrible, but the offensive personnel is fine.

The coaching needs to be better, and you can not overlook the importance of not having Brian Westbrook, and Tra Thomas.

The Eagles went against a defense that blitzes heavily, very similar to their own, and they used a shotgun, spread formation most of the game. This formation killed them, because they rarely had the proper pass protection with all those WRs on the field.

When they used a two tight end set, they actually had some success. Then when they got to any third down +3 or more, they went back to the shotgun spread. It was mind boggling how they were so unprepared for the Giants blitz.

They definitely should have helped Justice out more, and they should have adjusted to a max protect after seeing how often the Giants were blitzing. The Eagles line is very good, and they were made to look bad by a poor protection scheme. You can not expect five guys to block seven.

There was one play where Reno Mahe had the responsibility of blocking Osi blitzing from the linebacker position. That is obviously a terrible mismatch, and I could not believe Andy even had him on the field.

With the proper protection, and a healthy Brian Westbrook, this offense is capable of doing big things. Just look at the 56 points scored against Detroit.

The game plan the Eagles drew up for the Giants put the team in a position to fail. That defense is not as good as it looked, and the Eagles offense is not as bad as it looked.

Hopefully this bye week will give Andy time to remember that protecting your QB is a top priority. Especially one who is coming back from a knee injury.

Well I gotta disagree with the some things from the original post.

Brodrick Bunkley is playing great, and Omar Gaither is also playing very well.

The Eagles run defense is ranked 5th in the NFL currently, and a lot of that credit goes to the impact of Bunkley. He is a major upgrade over Darwin Walker, who is terrible against the run. Bunkley also has two sacks on the year.

With Bunkley, and Patterson playing well in front of Omar, he is able to get in on a lot of tackles. He has 24 already, two passes defended, and a very big interception. He has only made a few mistakes, and I see him getting better as he gets more experience.

As far as talent escaping the team, what big talent has escaped? The only players I really wish the Eagles had kept over the past five years, has been Derrick Burgess, and Rod Hood.

I know the Giants game was horrible, but the offensive personnel is fine.

The coaching needs to be better, and you can not overlook the importance of not having Brian Westbrook, and Tra Thomas.

The Eagles went against a defense that blitzes heavily, very similar to their own, and they used a shotgun, spread formation most of the game. This formation killed them, because they rarely had the proper pass protection with all those WRs on the field.

When they used a two tight end set, they actually had some success. Then when they got to any third down +3 or more, they went back to the shotgun spread. It was ming boggling how they were so unprepared for the Giants blitz.

They definitely should have helped Justice out more, and they should have adjusted to a max protect after seeing how often the Giants were blitzing. The Eagles line is very good, and they were made to look bad by a poor protection scheme. You can not expect five guys to block seven.

There was one play where Reno Mahe had the responsibility of blocking Osi blitzing from the linebacker position. That is obviously a terrible mismatch, and I could not believe Andy even had him on the field.

With the proper protection, and a healthy Brian Westbrook, this offense is capable of doing big things. Just look at the 56 points scored against Detroit.

The game plan the Eagles drew up for the Giants put the team in a position to fail. That defense is not as good as it looked, and the Eagles offense is not as bad as it looked.

Hopefully this bye week will give Andy time to remember that protecting your QB is a top priority. Especially one who is coming back from a knee injury.

Dave Spadaro (philadelphia eagles.com)....Is that you?????????????????

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

passing on Lendall White to draft Justice still seems like the smart move :)

It was Winston's first game. Way too early to question this pick. He could end up being a hall of fame tackle. Wait another two years before you say this.

Also Lendale White is a fat, slow RB. Why would the Eagles want that?

It was Winston's first game. Way too early to question this pick. He could end up being a hall of fame tackle. Wait another two years before you say this.

Also Lendale White is a fat, slow RB. Why would the Eagles want that?

So then, you got a carry the load back that you can use to keep your play making back, Westbrook, on the field and not making him carry between the tackles? You got a big back that can move the chains for you, eat the clock and provide the tough yard for your recently injured QB? You guys got that guy on the team?

Lendale White is not a franchise back IMO but, he is a guy who could have helped this team IMO.

Archived