Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys

MLMGuru

Actually, I agree with Riggo#44 here. Of the Cowboys 3 division opponents, the Redskins might match up the best. (I say 'might' because I don't think anybody knows what to expect from Philly next week or next month.) Its just like in boxing, when they say "Styles make fights." In football, its all about matchups.

Coupla big 'ifs' in there. Nobody has actually stopped the Cowboys offense yet, so the 'Skins need to play the game of their life on D. Just forcing a couple of turnovers, a few punts and forcing the Cowboys to settle for field goals once in a while is about the best they can hope for. But if they get enough stops, they could hold the Cowboys to, say, 20 points.

Another big if now is the right side of that OL. The Redskins are really gonna need a power running game (I'm talking 35-40 attempts) to hang with the Cowboys. The Redskins are very good at putting themselves in 3rd and short. They run a lot and throw a lot of short, quick passes, and are usually pretty successful in keeping Campbell out of 3rd and long situations. So when Campbell completes 54% of his passes on 3rd down, that translates pretty directly to the Redskins 44% 3rd down conversion rate.

If the Redskins can do that - keep everything in front of them on defense, keep the scoring low, and control the ball and the clock on offense, then they'll have a shot in the 4th quarter. And it just might be another one of those bombs to Moss that we're all so familiar with that kills the Cowboys.

Of course, if the Cowboys hang 45 or 37 or 34 on them, they have no chance.

If it's a shoot-out, forget it, the Redskins don't have to horses to hang with the Cowboys O. However if it's a typical NFC East game (running game and punch-you-in-the-mouth defense) the advantage goes to the Skins.

The key to beating the Cowboys is taking Owens and Witten away. You must force the younger receivers to beat you. If a team can do this, the Cowboys can be beaten. Of course, if you can generate consistant pressure against that OL, then you can also do it that way but I would attack the WRs rather then try to beat the OL. That OL is dominating and I dont' expect any change in that unless the Cowboys sustain injuries to that unit, which is a possability for any team.

The key to beating the Cowboys is taking Owens and Witten away. You must force the younger receivers to beat you. If a team can do this, the Cowboys can be beaten. Of course, if you can generate consistant pressure against that OL, then you can also do it that way but I would attack the WRs rather then try to beat the OL. That OL is dominating and I dont' expect any change in that unless the Cowboys sustain injuries to that unit, which is a possability for any team.

Owens doesn't like Taylor. Add Landry to that mix and he could be in for a long day. Our safteys will physically abuse Owens. Witten is the one that is more dangerous to the Skins.

can someone find a stat on how much he's been pressured for all three games? cause he's only been sacked 5 times and only thrown two int., only number that shows he might get pressured a bit is his completion percentage which is 58%

His completion % is down because they are attacking down the field more. He and Garrett have addressed this and both said his completion % will be lower because they are going to be aggressive and attack downfield.

How would you game plan these guys?

Shut down their running game and force Romo sits to pee to win the game for them. From there, just focus on sticking to the receivers like glue and give him nowhere to throw to. If they get behind by 10 or more, they will struggle because Romo sits to pee just doesn't have a strong arm. He can hit wide open receivers, but not for more than 30 yards.

Owens doesn't like Taylor. Add Landry to that mix and he could be in for a long day. Our safteys will physically abuse Owens. Witten is the one that is more dangerous to the Skins.

Your Safeties better be worried about getting abused. I don't see a physical game taking Owens out of the mix but hey, whatever works. Most teams play the Cowboys with the safety cheating up in the box. I expect you will also. That will mean that your safety will probably have to match up on a WR or a TE. I don't see you being able to stop the running game with your base 7. I honestly don't think your going to be able to work Owens with your Safety play very much but again, that's why you play them. We will see. Can't wait.

Shut down their running game and force Romo sits to pee to win the game for them. From there, just focus on sticking to the receivers like glue and give him nowhere to throw to. If they get behind by 10 or more, they will struggle because Romo sits to pee just doesn't have a strong arm. He can hit wide open receivers, but not for more than 30 yards.

Should give Chicago a call and ask them how that worked for them.

Except they never bothered to do the first part. They let your running game walk all over them when it counted, and the tackling was so poor that even the intermediate passes worked as well as 50 yard bombs.

Except they never bothered to do the first part. They let your running game walk all over them when it counted, and the tackling was so poor that even the intermediate passes worked as well as 50 yard bombs.

BS. I have the game and I broke it down. The Cowboys didn't start having success running against the Bears defense until the second half. More specifically, until the Cowboys went to the pass almost exclusively.

Stop the run if you like. That means your going to have to cheat a safety. Your DL doesn't match up with our OL IMO. Your going to have to play 8 in the box to stop them. If you do that, that means one on one somewhere. I'm OK with this.

BS. I have the game and I broke it down. The Cowboys didn't start having success running against the Bears defense until the second half. More specifically, until the Cowboys went to the pass almost exclusively.

Stop the run if you like. That means your going to have to cheat a safety. Your DL doesn't match up with our OL IMO. Your going to have to play 8 in the box to stop them. If you do that, that means one on one somewhere. I'm OK with this.

EXACTLY...and i do not have this exact number handy, but didnt Dallas throw the ball 14 of their first 19 plays of the 2nd half? I taped the game and rewatched it, and counted the plays, but i do not remember the exact number. The Bears have a better defense then the skins....specially in run defense, so the dudes point is well...point less.

You missed the important part of my post:

the tackling was so poor

The Bears choked, OK? Your offense took advantage of how crappy their offense played and had great field position because of it. Romo sits to pee never really stretched the field, but it didn't matter because of how incompetent Chicago's tackling was. I'm still not concerned about your running game because it never shows up until late in the game anyway when you're already up by 20.

I essentially agreed with you the first time: the trick is to cover the receivers and Romo sits to pee will have nowhere to go. Stopping the run would just be an obvious bonus and would put Romo sits to pee in a position to throw some picks.

The Bears choked, OK? Your offense took advantage of how crappy their offense played and had great field position because of it. Romo sits to pee never really stretched the field, but it didn't matter because of how incompetent Chicago's tackling was. I'm still not concerned about your running game because it never shows up until late in the game anyway when you're already up by 20.

I essentially agreed with you the first time: the trick is to cover the receivers and Romo sits to pee will have nowhere to go. Stopping the run would just be an obvious bonus and would put Romo sits to pee in a position to throw some picks.

The tackling deteriorated as the game wore on. The tackling was extremely good in the first half. Try 7 rushes for 18 yards in the first half. However, Romo sits to pee completed passes of 34, 22, 15, 12 and 16 in the first half. He also had a long one called back for Offensive pass interference and had a deep ball, 20 yards +, hit Crayton in the hands only to have it bounce of Crayton (Hands of Stone Featherstone) and be intercepted. Romo sits to pee stretched the Bears defense just fine. The Bears defense just stood up to it in the first half. In the second half, our OL started telling and the Bears started sustaining injuries and giving up plays. That's not a sign of poor tackling IMO. That's a sign of a defense being on the field too long and an OL physically beating them up.

running the ball well late in games and with a lead is one of the most important things in all of football....as a Skins fan, you should know that!

Covering recievers and leaving no one open is the way to beat every team, DUH! but can the Skins cover them effectivly this year?

to say Romo sits to pee didnt stretch the field vs the Bears is completly out of line and you either didnt weatch the game or have no clue what your saying.

Dallas scoring drives vs the Bears was:

57-FG

89-TD 9 plays (7 passing for 80 yds and a TD)

91-TD 11 plays 8 passing 79 yds and a TD)

19-FG

78-TD

running the ball well late in games and with a lead is one of the most important things in all of football....as a Skins fan, you should know that!

Covering recievers and leaving no one open is the way to beat every team, DUH! but can the Skins cover them effectivly this year?

to say Romo sits to pee didnt stretch the field vs the Bears is completly out of line and you either didnt weatch the game or have no clue what your saying.

Dallas scoring drives vs the Bears was:

57-FG

89-TD 9 plays (7 passing for 80 yds and a TD)

91-TD 11 plays 8 passing 79 yds and a TD)

19-FG

78-TD

From a post I did in another thread:

Because his yards look shiny without showing the entire picture. He looks like Kurt Warner right now because they're running the St. Louis style offense: toss around some intermediate passes and let the receivers do the rest. Look at the Poke receivers' YAC sometime. It's not exactly dink n dunk, but he's no Jeff George. Sorry guys, but he just doesn't have that great of an arm.

Get back to me when Romo sits to pee actually connects on some real hailmarys. At this point, he's just playing very competent football with some great receivers around him. Personally, I think that you're grasping for straws by expecting Romo sits to pee to be everything at once. He's accurate, smooth in the pocket, and can pick apart a defense...but I wouldn't count on him to connect deep just yet.

From a post I did in another thread:

Get back to me when Romo sits to pee actually connects on some real hailmarys. At this point, he's just playing very competent football with some great receivers around him. Personally, I think that you're grasping for straws by expecting Romo sits to pee to be everything at once. He's accurate, smooth in the pocket, and can pick apart a defense...but I wouldn't count on him to connect deep just yet.

Hailmary's? :laugh: thats funny. You do know what a hailmary is right, the last thing i want is for Romo sits to pee to have to be throwing up "halmary's".....:laugh::laugh:

Come on man, Romo sits to pee leads the NFL in what is refered to as big pass plays 25+ yards with 10. No one, and I mean NO ONE is saying that Romo sits to pee has the best deep ball in the game, but the point is, this system is not dink n dunk, and Romo sits to pee is making plays down the field.......to say anything to the contrary would just be hating or making things up just for the feeling of stirring things up, which is what ES darling TR1 has done...no one....not one other ES member has said they agree with him and that the Cowboys and Romo sits to pee is "DinkNDunk"

Starting safety Mike Brown: Out for the year

Starting DT Dusty Dvoracek: Out for the year

Starting LB Lance Briggs: Out indefinitely

Starting CB Nathan Vasher: Out indefinitely

It was a 3-3 slugfest, then Briggs and Vasher went down and after that, it was absolutely effortless for the Cowboys. Wide open pass after pass after pass, like running 7 on 7 drills in practice.

It was a 3-3 slugfest, then Briggs and Vasher went down and after that, it was absolutely effortless for the Cowboys. Wide open pass after pass after pass, like running 7 on 7 drills in practice.

And it became painfully obvious to me why Walker was let go by the Eagles...

Mike Brown was out most of the last two years and they went to the SupberBowl.

Dusty Dvoracek has started exactly one game since he's entered the NFL. Not a big impact IMO. Can't miss something you've never had.

Lance Briggs got himself hurt in the Dallas game. I guess you can blame the OL for that.

Vasher got hurt in the same game while trying to tackle TO. Ditto.

BTW, you forgot to include Tommy Harris. He too went down in that game.

Bottom line, every team that we have faced this year has guys falling out due to injury. Is this luck or coincidence? Maybe but every one of those teams is making the comment that we are one of the most physical teams they've played. I think it's the style of play we are playing with. You can't use that as an excuse. You have to say that it's a product of playing the Cowboys.

BTW, you forgot to include Tommy Harris. He too went down in that game.

Bottom line, every team that we have faced this year has guys falling out due to injury. Is this luck or coincidence? Maybe but every one of those teams is making the comment that we are one of the most physical teams they've played. I think it's the style of play we are playing with. You can't use that as an excuse. You have to say that it's a product of playing the Cowboys.

You're right, I forgot Harris. The point I'm trying to make is, the game was pretty evenly matched for a while. Great offense vs. great defense, and horrible offense vs. horrible defense. But you can't take three starters in one game out from any defense and expect them to be able to hold on for the rest of the game. Especially not when those players are your best playmaking linebacker, your highest quality corner, and your best defensive lineman. You just can't lose those players against an offense like the cowgirls'. They have too many weapons in the passing game. Throw in the fact that Rex Grossman may be the single worst quarterback in the NFL today, and you've got a game that suddenly goes from very winnable to no hope in the span of a few minutes.

You're right, I forgot Harris. The point I'm trying to make is, the game was pretty evenly matched for a while. Great offense vs. great defense, and horrible offense vs. horrible defense. But you can't take three starters in one game out from any defense and expect them to be able to hold on for the rest of the game. Especially not when those players are your best playmaking linebacker, your highest quality corner, and your best defensive lineman. You just can't lose those players against an offense like the cowgirls'. They have too many weapons in the passing game. Throw in the fact that Rex Grossman may be the single worst quarterback in the NFL today, and you've got a game that suddenly goes from very winnable to no hope in the span of a few minutes.

Your preaching to the Choir. We've played with out our best pass rusher all year (Greg Ellis), our best CB and one fo the best CBs in the league (Terrance Newman), our strongest Defensive Lineman and our Pro Bowl starting NT (Jason Ferguson) and our Nickel ILB (Burnett and now Carpenter). Not to mention the fact that we haven't even had our other starting WR on the field this year (Terry Glenn). I understand what you are saying but you have to understand that number one, you yourself is calling our defense Horrible when we have as much or more injury on our defensive unit as do the Bears and what's more, they've been gone since the start of the year, for the most part. Why is it unfortunate for the Bears but for us, it's just crappy defense? The injuiries to Vasher (A good Texas Boy) Harris (A bad Texas boy who had the miss guided and unfortunate luck to be a Sooner) and Briggs, all got hurt in the Dallas game. We play physical and part of playing us is being able to withstand the physical play. Just as it is when you play a very physical Bears team.

Your preaching to the Choir. We've played with out our best pass rusher all year (Greg Ellis), our best CB and one fo the best CBs in the league (Terrance Newman), our strongest Defensive Lineman and our Pro Bowl starting NT (Jason Ferguson) and our Nickel ILB (Burnett and now Carpenter). Not to mention the fact that we haven't even had our other starting WR on the field this year (Terry Glenn). I understand what you are saying but you have to understand that number one, you yourself is calling our defense Horrible when we have as much or more injury on our defensive unit as do the Bears and what's more, they've been gone since the start of the year, for the most part. Why is it unfortunate for the Bears but for us, it's just crappy defense? The injuiries to Vasher (A good Texas Boy) Harris (A bad Texas boy who had the miss guided and unfortunate luck to be a Sooner) and Briggs, all got hurt in the Dallas game. We play physical and part of playing us is being able to withstand the physical play. Just as it is when you play a very physical Bears team.

You can say I'm preaching to the choir, and you can say injuries happen because of your "physical" play, but the fact is, it hurt the Bears a lot more than it hurt you. You have the ability to get in shootouts and win without a great defense, and it's not like your defense was all that stellar in the past anyway.

The Bears only had their defense. That was their only hope not only for that game, but for the whole season. You might as well load up your fantasy team with Lions and Packers offensive players the next two weeks; the ENTIRE Bears starting secondary will be out, their biggest playmaker at linebacker will be out, and 1/2 of their defensive line will be out. As a friend of mine put it, it won't even be the 2007 Bears on the field, it will be the 2007 Preseason Bears. I'm sorry, but this list:

FS Mike Brown - out for season - Knee

SS Adam Archuleta - broken hand

CB Nathan Vasher - out for a month - groin

CB Charles Tillman - out for two weeks - ankle

DT Tommie Harris, and arguably the best player on the team - out for a month with a sprained MCL

DT Dusty Dvoracek - out for the year - knee

LB Lance Briggs - out for 1-2 weeks

blows your injuries out of the water. Next week the Bears will have a rookie 7th-round draft pick playing corner. They'll have a rookie 5th-round pick at safety.

Your team is able to survive defensive injuries because, honestly, your defense wasn't going to be top flight anyway. You guys rely on your offense to dominate games, and you've been doing great at that. But imagine if you lost TO, MBIII, and Witten. That's the equivalent of what's happened to the Bears.

Archived