Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Newsday, Gave Gibbs Some credit for the Giants Win

Skinsinparadise

Excerpt from Newsday,

for full article go

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spglaub0924,0,5389765.column

Still, the Giants needed one massive assist from Redskins coach Joe Gibbs to get the win. There once was no better offensive coach when Gibbs was winning three Super Bowls. Every button he pushed seemed to work wonders. Not this time.

Here's how bad it was: The Redskins took over at the Giants' 35 with 2:19 to play, and got to the 1 with 58 seconds left on a 20-yard pass from Jason Campbell to Antwaan Randle-El. But rather than run another play, Gibbs had Campbell spike the ball to stop the clock. Hey, why not run a play while the Giants are disorganized and reeling?

It got worse. The coach then pulled his best offensive player, running back Clinton Portis, and put in Betts, a bigger, but far less elusive back, and fullback Mike Sellers. On second-and-goal, Campbell's pass in the right flat for the seldom-used Sellers was short, and Sellers couldn't hang on.

On third down, Gibbs had Betts run left and Kawika Mitchell made the stop for no gain. Fourth down, game on the line, and Betts ran left again. Tuck dropped him for a 2-yard loss.

"We felt like going with our jumbo package," Gibbs explained afterward. "We went with a pass and obviously we're trying to get a shot at the end zone or get it incomplete."

Huh? The pass was thrown well in front of the end zone, and even if Sellers had caught it, Mitchell was there to make the stop.

"Then we called two plays in a row and two of our best running plays," Gibbs said. "We felt like that was our best chance."

Turned out it really was the best chance. For the Giants.

more in /sports

"Here's how bad it was: The Redskins took over at the Giants' 35 with 2:19 to play, and got to the 1 with 58 seconds left on a 20-yard pass from Jason Campbell to Antwaan Randle-El. But rather than run another play, Gibbs had Campbell spike the ball to stop the clock. Hey, why not run a play while the Giants are disorganized and reeling?"

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing.

"Here's how bad it was: The Redskins took over at the Giants' 35 with 2:19 to play, and got to the 1 with 58 seconds left on a 20-yard pass from Jason Campbell to Antwaan Randle-El. But rather than run another play, Gibbs had Campbell spike the ball to stop the clock. Hey, why not run a play while the Giants are disorganized and reeling?"

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing.

Seriously.... has this decision been addressed? You've got 58 seconds and you need 3 feet. Campbell is 6'4", let him sneak it on the hurry up and maybe we're going to OT? If not, run out of a 3 or 4 WR set to spread out the defense, and run a draw? Or even a naked bootleg? Anything?

Excerpt from Newsday,

for full article go

It got worse. The coach then pulled his best offensive player, running back Clinton Portis, and put in Betts, a bigger, but far less elusive back, and fullback Mike Sellers. On second-and-goal, Campbell's pass in the right flat for the seldom-used Sellers was short, and Sellers couldn't hang on.

more in /sports

Betts isn't a bigger back. He and CP are the same size. But because of Betts's running style everyone things he's more of a pounding back and Portis more of a speed back. It's not so. Betts and CP should be able to get the same types of yards, as they are the same. At the 1 we needed Sellers in there. Just a terrible display of play calling, IMO.

It doesn't matter what they called. Our best RB wasn't on the field when the game was on the line. I don't mind them splitting carries but when the games on the line your best players (and probably best player) should be on the field. I know he fumbled and maybe that's why but I think that's the more reason to put him in there so he can redeem himself with the game tieing td...

Gibbs can say all he wants about Al Saunders calling the plays, but this was clearly Joe Gibbs playcalling on the final four plays. Clearly. If you've watched a single Kansas City game the past several years, you know that Al Saunders would've never called this mess.

Yeah my take is the same, Saunders likes to do the unexpected. Running 2 plays in a row, exactly the same way seems more Gibbs style than Saunders.

I love Gibbs but I wonder if time has passed him by as a play caller. It seems like it was his and not Saunders stamp on the 2nd half. The conservative "sit on the lead" 2nd half approach smacks of the pre Saunders Gibbs II days, ditto the mismanagement of the 2 minute drive.

Per NFL network, Gibbs called the last three plays on the goal line. Gibbs took over the play calling responsibility from Saunders. With that being said, Gibbs should have stepped away and let Saunders finish the game. Saunders got the Skins to the one Gibbs should had allowed him to finish off the drive. If Gibbs wanted to take the play calling away, Gibbs should have done so early in the fourth quarter or late in the third.

Per NFL network, Gibbs called the last three plays on the goal line. Gibbs took over the play calling responsibility from Saunders. With that being said, Gibbs should have stepped away and let Saunders finish the game. Saunders got the Skins to the one Gibbs should had allowed him to finish off the drive. If Gibbs wanted to take the play calling away, Gibbs should have done so early in the fourth quarter or late in the third.

The worst part about this is that the play selection was just terrible, regardless of the outcome of the plays. First, spiking was stupid, but I'll let that one slide. With 2nd and goal with about 50 seconds left, you RUN the ball. Either you score, or you get a little closer and the clock runs. This way, if you get it in on 3rd or 4th down, there will not be any time left for the giants to respond. If you don't get it on 2nd down you run an option for Campbell to run or pass. If he runs for the TD you're set, if he passes and scores you're set, if it's incomplete the clock stops for 4th down. Gibbs did it the opposite way and thats why we lost. Oh, he also seems to think that Betts is the best RB on this team.

Clock management is not a strength for this team. Many NFL teams practice 2-minute drills with different scenarios and the QB has option between 2-3 plays based on the result from the last play.

For example, Gibbs should have called a quick snap/QB sneak on 1st down to get the ball closer to the goal line. If we don't get it, we still have 3 chances to score. The Giants defense was looked tired and beat and Gibbs gave them a extra breather by spiking the ball.

As for the Portis issue, does anyone know if he was still slightly injured from the previous plays before and Gibbs maybe decided not to put him in? Either way, Sellers should have gotten the ball.

Clock management is not a strength for this team. Many NFL teams practice 2-minute drills with different scenarios and the QB has option between 2-3 plays based on the result from the last play.

For example, Gibbs should have called a quick snap/QB sneak on 1st down to get the ball closer to the goal line. If we don't get it, we still have 3 chances to score. The Giants defense was looked tired and beat and Gibbs gave them a extra breather by spiking the ball.

What really bugs me is that in his press conference, Gibbs said the 2 minute drill has been the Skins strength last year, as if these 2 games were an aberration. I don't mind mistakes if people own up to them but for Gibbs to imply that this is a small blip on the radar screen -- strikes me that he's delusional on this issue.

Archived