Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Cowher Hold Steelers Back?

DWinzit

Did Cowher Hold Steelers Back?

Bill Cowher was respected by his team, but now that he's gone, the players don't seem to be missing him too much. In fact, you're hearing a lot of players spout off about how the new coaching staff has freed up the Steelers to reach the best of their ability.

First it was the special teams players saying that the Steelers have fixed their problems because there is a more focused approach to special teams now that Cowher has been replaced by Mike Tomlin. Now a lot of the defense's stars are saying that their domination in the first two games is because Cowher's no longer around to put the handcuffs on Dick LeBeau, as Ed Bouchette explains in today's Post-Gazette.

Players and coaches, on and off the record, say LeBeau has the freedom to call what he wants, when he wants under Tomlin, a freedom he did not previously have under Cowher. "I do, I do," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "I think he's getting to call whatever he wants, and the call is sticking."

While Cowher may have been respected by his players, the defense loves LeBeau, and it's also clear that they believe he's a defensive genius who will stay a step ahead of opposing offensive coordinators. We won't know how much of a help unshackling LeBeau will be until the Steelers have faced some tougher offenses, but in the first two games, LeBeau has had the ability to throw out a little of everything. Given that chance he's been quite aggressive. Pittsburgh sent five or more pass rushers on 17 of the 31 Bills called pass plays last week, with a variety of linebacker and defensive back blitzes.

Full article - http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/20/did-cowher-hold-steelers-back/#cont

I think Roethlisberger's motorcycle is what derailed them last year, or at least had the most to do with it. He didn't look the same following the wreck.

Tomlin might be a good one. I was told about how on the first day of OTAs, temp in the 100s, Tomlin rolls out head to toe in black gear. He appears to be a lead from the front kind of guy.

I think what they mean is, the Steelers were always a run first team and the offensive coordinator brought in by Tomlin, wants to open the offense up a little more. Even thought they only beat Cleveland and Buffalo, they did what they had to do and that was destroy them. 34-7 and 26-3. 10 points in 2 games? Incredible.

Archived