Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Remember 2003?

sikizler

i do not agree...two different time periods...plus that atlanta game wasn't easy...they were using 3-4 and sacked ramsey at will...it was a shoot out...that could have gone either way....

Yeah ouvan already pointed that out and I agreed.

Everyone sacked Ramsey at will that year. Not exactly a recipe for developing a young QB.

We can probably start or continue this same thread after every game this year. We have a fairly easy schedule where the only teams we play that will have winning records are the Pats, cowgirls and bears. I think we do tend to play down to our competition sometimes but if we want to have a shot at the end of this season we must remain confident and healthy while taking care of those lesser teams.:2cents:

........followed by a relatively easy victory at Atlanta. The Redskins had a young quarterback, a former 1st round pick, in his first year as a starter.

If I remember we were down by 21 in that Atlanta game. I wouldn't call that an easy victory. Different coach and definitely a different defense.

This thread makes me very very sad. I thought 2002-03 was to be forever stricken from the record and collective memory of Redskins fans. Joe Gibbs is thousands of times better than... that other guy and Campbell is most certainly not Ramsey, the stats won't tell you that though.

Clearly I don't remember that ATL game that well (oops). But to my point, we won two games against teams that were not so good and we didn't beat either handily. Say what you will about that Giants team, but they lost 12 games that year.

I'm not saying the Giants were a good team but they had actually played well up until week 4. They really didn't collapse until after week 8. They were 4-4 after a really tough stretch on the schedule. This year's Giant team couldn't have started more slowly particularly on defense. Again I am not saying that they can't beat us because they can but they will have to play much better than they have been.

Yes of course it would be insanity to compare Gibbs's NFL resume to Spurrier's, but Gibbs version 2 has brought one playoff appearance and two losing seasons in three years. Spurrier's brief tenure yielded one .500 season and one losing season.

Another way to look at it is in two of Gibbs' three years, the team's record improved over the previous season. In both Spurrier years, the team got worse.

I like what I've seen so far from this team, the defense and running game are playing great like the Gibbs teams of old. I am just pointing out that a 2-0 start and a seemingly winnable game coming up does not mean as much as it seems.

Well, this I completely agree with. Someone once said in football it's not about who you play, but when you play them. We ALWAYS seem to catch the Giants at the wrong time. It would be nice, for once, to get them in a slump. But I'll believe it when I see it.

To expand:

Portis/Betts - RB

Moss, Randle El - WR

Cooley - TE

Taylor/Landry - S

Is there any facet of this team that isn't better than it was then?

To be fair it remains to be seen if Campbell is better than Ramsey. When we were 2-0 with Ramsey his rating was a LOT better than Campbell's and everyone loved the guy. Anyone remember him ducking a sure sack and throwing a 40 yard strike to Coles against the Jets?

Also, Coles/Gardner was a pretty strong tandem. Gardner was coming off a 70 catch/1000 yard season and Coles went to the pro-bowl that year.

Point is we do have a ways to go. I say enjoy the moment, becuase you never know how long it's gonna last.

I do feel that it is a trap game, especially since we are going to be down two linemen. However, if we have a gameplan, run the football and let jason go over the top when they start getting complacent in the box, we should have a good day. I think that the defense will do its job, by the way our D now is way better than it was back in 2003.

. Say what you will about that Giants team, but they lost 12 games that year.

And we lost 11.

The one thing I remember from that season is after the loss to the giants, we bounced back & inexplicably beat New England the next week to get to 3-1.

It was all downhill from there.... :(

Anyone remember him ducking a sure sack and throwing a 40 yard strike to Coles against the Jets?

I remember that play like it was yesterday. I was so high on Ramsey back then....

Im not playing on Sunday. So I'm going to feel free to overlook the Giants and count this as a win.

Thank you, i'll never understand people that call out fans for "looking over a team" we don't play.

I remember the Skins lost a game in 05 that we all thought we'd win and people were making threads saying, "see! you guys looked passed them and look what happened!"

We are fans, we are allowed to be crazy and irrational and say "this is a win, mark it down." The players aren't and as long as they don't what we do doesnt mean anything.

It doesn't matter how well or horrible a team is playing. It doesn't matter about talent levels or injuries. Division games are division games and are extremely tough to win.

No team in the division should ever be overlooked no matter how bad they seem. The 1-15 cowboys got their 1 win against a much better Redskins team.

This game is huge and winable, but only if it's taken very seriously. I hope hope hope that the Skins are not looking ahead to the bye week.

Division wins are crucial.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with all of you wo have said that the Giants are not to be overlooked. We'll need to play well on both sides of the ball to win. But the fact that we're at home is huge. In each of the past 2 seasons, the games where we have been drubbed by the Giants were the road games. In the home games, Moss and the running game were both very effective. The only reason that we lost last year was Tiki having a career game (was that his career high?). I think Moss and Portis both go over 100 yards. The only major concern that I have is Burress, since our corners aren't particularly big.

We need to force some turnovers, and we can't be settling for field goals. That goes for the whole season, not just this week.

Archived