Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Remember 2003?

sikizler

In week 3, the New York Football Giants came into FedEx Field with a coach who had lost some popularity of late. They were going against the 2-0 Redskins riding high off of an NFL Kickoff Thursday night win over the Jets followed by a relatively easy victory at Atlanta. The Redskins had a young quarterback, a former 1st round pick, in his first year as a starter. The Giants were 1-1 coming off an OT loss to the Cowboys. A division game at home looked to be very winnable for a Redskins team full of hope and optimism.

Alas, it was not the case. The G-men came in and took an early lead. A Redskins comeback got the game to OT, but fell short as the Giants won the OT coin toss and then the game on their first drive of the extra session. The rest of the season did not go the Redskins way as we all know. Of course those Jets did not have Chad Pennington and those Falcons did not have Michael Vick (both were lost to injury in preseason). After looking unimpressive at home against the Giants, many questioned the competition that the Redskins faced to get to 2-0.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Now I know, this Giants team is much different than that one. But, those Giants ended up 4-12 and in last place. They may have looked better in week 3, but did not turn out to be very good. I hate to be a downer, but we need to be cautious here. Nothing in the NFL comes easy and nothing is guaranteed. It is way too early to be thinking about anything other than the Giants on Sunday. Let's take care of business and then worry about what's next.

With all of that being said...........Let's Go REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!:helmet: :gaintsuck

Good point. Some may question the competition we have faced early in the season, too. Miami is better with Trent Green, but they're not world beaters, and it seems like McNabb and the Eagles are on the downside of their great run. I hope we don't take them too lightly, but I will say that there's a MAJOR difference between then and now: in 2003 our coach was Spurrier, and this Sunday our coach will be Joe Gibbs.

I agree with you. That was a sucky lost and if we lost this week against them this will be a awful feeling going thru the bye week next week. Lets not take this guys like they are pushovers. Lets study and get ready to win the game. Hail to the Redskins.

In week 3, the New York Football Giants came into FedEx Field with a coach who had lost some popularity of late. They were going against the 2-0 Redskins riding high off of an NFL Kickoff Thursday night win over the Jets followed by a relatively easy victory at Atlanta. The Redskins had a young quarterback, a former 1st round pick, in his first year as a starter. The Giants were 1-1 coming off an OT loss to the Cowboys. A division game at home looked to be very winnable for a Redskins team full of hope and optimism.

Alas, it was not the case. The G-men came in and took an early lead. A Redskins comeback got the game to OT, but fell short as the Giants won the OT coin toss and then the game on their first drive of the extra session. The rest of the season did not go the Redskins way as we all know. Of course those Jets did not have Chad Pennington and those Falcons did not have Michael Vick (both were lost to injury in preseason). After looking unimpressive at home against the Giants, many questioned the competition that the Redskins faced to get to 2-0.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Now I know, this Giants team is much different than that one. But, those Giants ended up 4-12 and in last place. They may have looked better in week 3, but did not turn out to be very good. I hate to be a downer, but we need to be cautious here. Nothing in the NFL comes easy and nothing is guaranteed. It is way too early to be thinking about anything other than the Giants on Sunday. Let's take care of business and then worry about what's next.

With all of that being said...........Let's Go REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!:helmet: :gaintsuck

great post. i was about to make a thread about the fact that we DO need to worry about this game A LOT.

this is the most important early-season game in years for this team. and it comes against a divisional foe.

that being said, i am glad we have a bye after this week. that makes it a bit easier to concentrate only on this game. if we were playing, say, dallas or new england next week id be horrified that sunday will be a 'trap' game.

tgijef

Yes of course it would be insanity to compare Gibbs's NFL resume to Spurrier's, but Gibbs version 2 has brought one playoff appearance and two losing seasons in three years. Spurrier's brief tenure yielded one .500 season and one losing season.

I like what I've seen so far from this team, the defense and running game are playing great like the Gibbs teams of old. I am just pointing out that a 2-0 start and a seemingly winnable game coming up does not mean as much as it seems.

great post. i was about to make a thread about the fact that we DO need to worry about this game A LOT.

this is the most important early-season game in years for this team. and it comes against a divisional foe.

that being said, i am glad we have a bye after this week. that makes it a bit easier to concentrate only on this game. if we were playing, say, dallas or new england next week id be horrified that sunday will be a 'trap' game.

tgijef

Definitely a good point about the trap game. This also reminds me a little of Tennessee last year. The Giants are a very dangerous team right now and they know us a hell of a lot better than the Titans. They don't look very scary without Tiki in the backfield, but they want this game BAD.

Patrick Ramsey - QB 1st round pick - 1st year as starter in '03, 2-0 as starter in '03

Trung Candidate- RB I got nothin'

Coles, Gardner-WR Coles - 1,200 yds. in '03, Gardner 1,000 in '02

Robert Royal - TE Nothin'

Ohalete-FS Not Sean Taylor but he was decent player when he was here

That's what I remember. :)

I'm sorry but the circumstances weren't similar at all other than our record. The win at Atlanta was anything but easy. We fell behind 17-0 before clawing our way back to 24-17 at the half. We ended up winning 33-31 after Ade Jimoh's coming out toast party. I will admit that most felt pretty good about the team but the Giants were hardly in disarray coming into week 3. They handily beat a very good Rams team in week 1 that year. They then had a huge rally to take a 32-29 lead on the Cowboys with 0:14 left in week 2. They proceeded to kick the ensuing squib kick out of bounds giving the Boys the ball at the 40 allowed Quinthy to hit a miracle out to get them to the 35 and Billy Cundiff hit a 52 yarder as time expired to send it to OT.

I'm not saying we (the team not us) don't have to take this game seriously because we do but that Giant team and this Giant team don't even remotely resemble each other.

Yes of course it would be insanity to compare Gibbs's NFL resume to Spurrier's, but Gibbs version 2 has brought one playoff appearance and two losing seasons in three years. Spurrier's brief tenure yielded one .500 season and one losing season.

Nope, two losing seasons.

I'm sorry but the circumstances weren't similar at all other than our record. The win at Atlanta was anything but easy. We fell behind 17-0 before clawing our way back to 24-17 at the half. We ended up winning 33-31 after Ade Jimoh's coming out toast party. I will admit that most felt pretty good about the team but the Giants were hardly in disarray coming into week 3. They handily beat a very good Rams team in week 1 that year. They then had a huge rally to take a 32-29 lead on the Cowboys with 0:14 left in week 2. They proceeded to kick the ensuing squib kick out of bounds giving the Boys the ball at the 40 allowed Quinthy to hit a miracle out to get them to the 35 and Billy Cundiff hit a 52 yarder as time expired to send it to OT.

I'm not saying we (the team not us) don't have to take this game seriously because we do but that Giant team and this Giant team don't even remotely resemble each other.

Clearly I don't remember that ATL game that well (oops). But to my point, we won two games against teams that were not so good and we didn't beat either handily. Say what you will about that Giants team, but they lost 12 games that year.

You've got a hell of a memory. :laugh:

They were going against the 2-0 Redskins riding high off of an NFL Kickoff Thursday night win over the Jets followed by a relatively easy victory at Atlanta.

i do not agree...two different time periods...plus that atlanta game wasn't easy...they were using 3-4 and sacked ramsey at will...it was a shoot out...that could have gone either way....

Archived