Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Cold Etiquette

bschurm

Ok, I just left the washing your hands thread and it reminded me of some things about the Common Cold that have me concerned. So I wanted to ask you guys if I am being overly cautious?

1.) I am under the belief that if you are sick (contagious, ie. the common cold, the flu) then stay home!

I am a student and when I am sick, I contact the professor beforehand to let them know I am sick and I stay out of class! It is selfish of me to think that I should go to class sick without regard to the well being of others.

2.) If I see you coughing and sneezing, I am NOT going to shake your hand and will likely keep a fairly significant distance between us.

I was in class the other day and some guy was hacking one up and told the professor he was sick. I immediately turned in the other direction to avoid this guy.

Some people seem to be put off by this!?!?!?!?!?!

3.) After shaking someone's hand, I often wash my hands almost immediately. Actually, I wash my hands very often.

4.) In class the other day I had some guy cough on the back of my neck. I was very disturbed by this. I turned around and let him know this was not acceptable.

Yesterday, I had some girl breathing on the back of my neck in class, her breath stunk, but what concerned me most was if she had anything to pass on.

So, does this sound anal or do I have some legitimate concerns? Are there others who think like this?

If it is just a cold (no fever), I will go to work. Once you have a child, it seems like you have different cold/virus every other week. I rarely cough into my hands. My habit from working in restaraunts is to cough into my forearm. That being said, if I am sick, and you say 'no thanks' to a hand shake, I'm not going to be offended. By the why, you should probably just buy some Coldeze. If you take them quickly after being exposed, they work pretty well.

I don't work, I don't get paid. Just that simple. Sick or not, I work. Just like now. Have a nasty one going,(and possibly some allergies as well), but I'm working. That doesn't mean I myself don't wash my hands as much as possible, try to keep my distance from others, and if in close proximity, I'll even wear a mask, (which, considering the amount of saw dust and drywall dust that we're kicking up, I should be doing so anyway). I avoid contact and do the old cover the mouth thing,usually with my sleeve or a kleenex. As for you, maybe a bit anal, but it's not uncommon either.

I don't work, I don't get paid. Just that simple. Sick or not, I work.

I guess I should have clarified, 'cause when I was a roofer I did the same. I guess what I am more concerned with is having to be stuck in a setting with many people in a confined area.

Ok, I just left the washing your hands thread and it reminded me of some things about the Common Cold that have me concerned. So I wanted to ask you guys if I am being overly cautious?

1.) I am under the belief that if you are sick (contagious, ie. the common cold, the flu) then stay home!

I am a student and when I am sick, I contact the professor beforehand to let them know I am sick and I stay out of class! It is selfish of me to think that I should go to class sick without regard to the well being of others.

2.) If I see you coughing and sneezing, I am NOT going to shake your hand and will likely keep a fairly significant distance between us.

I was in class the other day and some guy was hacking one up and told the professor he was sick. I immediately turned in the other direction to avoid this guy.

Some people seem to be put off by this!?!?!?!?!?!

3.) After shaking someone's hand, I often wash my hands almost immediately. Actually, I wash my hands very often.

4.) In class the other day I had some guy cough on the back of my neck. I was very disturbed by this. I turned around and let him know this was not acceptable.

Yesterday, I had some girl breathing on the back of my neck in class, her breath stunk, but what concerned me most was if she had anything to pass on.

So, does this sound anal or do I have some legitimate concerns? Are there others who think like this?

Pretty anal.

Some brilliant HR genius out there decided to do away with sick time and came up with the idea of Personal Time Off. So basically, if I want to stay home sick, I have to use a vacation day. Unless I'm practically dying, I'm going to work so I can use my time off on more enjoyable things than sitting in bed watching the Price is Right and strong man competitions on ESPN.

Plus, colds are no big deal anyway, don't be a weenie.

"4.) In class the other day I had some guy cough on the back of my neck. I was very disturbed by this. I turned around and let him know this was not acceptable.

Yesterday, I had some girl breathing on the back of my neck in class, her breath stunk, but what concerned me most was if she had anything to pass on."

Maybe try not sitting on everyones lap.

Someone should award this man a 'germophobe of the week' plaque.

Ok, I get your point, but remind me to stay away from your germ infested, unenlightened selves.:laugh:

Maybe try not sitting on everyones lap.

As far as this post, well this is just plain stupid. Have you ever sat in a classroom? If so, do you remember how many people they would cram in those classrooms? Give me a break. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived