Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greenspan lambastes Bush administration's economic policies in new book

E-Dog Night

Good lord. In a thread about Alan Greenspan, that was the best you could do?

Not really defending AFC, but I find it slightly ironic that all of the Dem homers are coming out of the woodwork propping up Greenspan's comments.

When his comments essentially were that Bush has not acted Republican ENOUGH for his liking. ;)

Not really defending AFC, but I find it slightly ironic that all of the Dem homers are coming out of the woodwork propping up Greenspan's comments.

When his comments essentially were that Bush has not acted Republican ENOUGH for his liking. ;)

Depends on how you define Republican. It has been about 25 years since the Republicans even pretended to stand for fiscal discipline. Might as well say Bush has not acted Whig enough for his liking. :)

Here are my thoughts on the subject of the interview:

[shameless plug of tangentially related post which was responding to member "greenspandan"]

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4155598&postcount=24

Alan,

First, loved your interview on 60 minutes last night. Did you think Leslie Stahl was kind of a ***** to you though? Sheesh, you like statistics, what's wrong with that? So thanks for taking some time away from consulting Bernake behind the scenes to discuss the Redskins with us.

Tell me honestly, when you're taking a break from digesting the prices of a bushel of wheat in Kansas City versus Chicago to read a Sally Jenkins' editorial parading as a news article, how can you miss her clear disdain for the Redskins?

Anyway, I agree with you: Gerald Ford was a very decent human being. Even when I met him in an elevator and called him Mr. Toyota, he was very gracious.

[/shameless plug]

Regardless, I think you get the point. :)

Sure.

Fact is, there are a lot of Democratic supporters who would love to see the return of a traditional Republican opposition, one based on honest caution and fiscal restraint. That kind of opposition is healthy and necessary.

The current jingoistic, social issue hot button, hostile and divisive Republicanism is what we loathe.

Zoony,

I think some of it is the assumption that all Democrats are fiscally irresponcible that we've been hearing from republicans for so long that has finally driven us mad. I think most governments aren't fiscally responcible. I take that as a given. That being said if they are to be spendthrifts there are better and worse ways to do so. One can build up infrastructure. One can spend money making a better more competetive worforce down the road. One can sure up our healthcare system...Or we can go fight a few wars with no defined goal while giving tax cuts.

I'll take my tax and spend over an undefined poorly planned war as a way to spend my tax dollars.

I'd note that he said Clinton was the brightest of the presidents he worked with, and he seemed to have a lot of praise for how he advocated working the government machine. But htne it's probably worth noting that Clinton was closer to traditional republican values of 20 years ago than many who wear that label now.

Good lord. In a thread about Alan Greenspan, that was the best you could do?

The best part is a Republican using "I do not recall" to bash a democrat. Those are after all the famous words of the most sacred republican.

Zoony - Tax and spend or cut taxes and cut spending. That's the way democrats see things. When republicans cut taxes they worry about social spending reductions. The current GOP however is the party is one that has no interest in doing anything but securing power. They'll cut taxes but refuse to face the music on spending, so they reduce taxes and raise spending. They'll go to war but refuse to face the music on troop levels needed, so they'll go to war with half the troop numbers we need.

I don't think Greenspan is accusing them of being less then Republican - if anything they are being republicans. What they aren't is being fiscally responsible, and that has nothing to do with republicans.

I'd note that he said Clinton was the brightest of the presidents he worked with, and he seemed to have a lot of praise for how he advocated working the government machine. But htne it's probably worth noting that Clinton was closer to traditional republican values of 20 years ago than many who wear that label now.

For a frame of reference, Greenspan worked for under the following Presidents:

Reagan

Bush I

Clinton

Bush II

Now, he only served under Reagan for the last year of his presidency, at which time Reagan was likely already going senile. Bush II is clearly not too bright, and Bush I was clearly undistinguished. I'm not surprised by what he said about Clinton.

Zen,

In the interview he spoke of serving under more. He mentioned Nixon and I believe one more. He may not have worked under them as chairman of the Fed., but he certainly implied knowing others enough to have talked with them about the state of the economy.

Zen,

In the interview he spoke of serving under more. He mentioned Nixon and I believe one more. He may not have worked under them as chairman of the Fed., but he certainly implied knowing others enough to have talked with them about the state of the economy.

Yeah, the magical "not trustworthy but I'll trust them anyway because I'm lazy" Wikipedia says:

From 1948 to 1953, Greenspan worked as an economic analyst at The Conference Board, a business and industry oriented think-tank in New York City. From 1955 to 1987, Greenspan was Chairman and President of Townsend-Greenspan & Co., Inc., an economic consulting firm in New York City, a 33-year stint interrupted only from 1974 to 1977 by his service as Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers under President Gerald Ford. In the summer of 1968, Greenspan agreed to serve Richard Nixon as his coordinator on domestic policy in the nomination campaign.

Archived