Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why so little blitzing?

skinsfanno9

Why so little blitzing today? Was it because Green was primarily doing quick dinky type passes?

Seriously, our secondary just isn't good enough to give a QB all day back there to throw passes. While Carter did get pressure, Green had the luxury of just stepping into the fully formed pocket to avoid him.

They talked about it on the post game show. GW and staff had a lot of respect for Green and his ability to read the blitz. Also, the corners were struggling a little bit on the outside by themselves.

Perhaps if GW tells our CBs that at the beginning of the play, they should be within 10 yards of the player they're covering. This might improve the coverage somewhat. As much as we laid off, we pretty much told Miami, "We can't cover you, so take your 8 yards here."

But you might be right. What worries me about this is that for any savvy veteran who can read the blitz, does this mean we'll be stuck in 2 deep zone with absolutely no pass pressure (tell me again why we don't want top quality Dlinemen?)? If so, we're gonna get absolutely smoked by receivers who can actually catch the ball.

GW has laid off of the blitzing for the past year, and it has bothered me a lot. He has been anything but aggressive, and just because we are tied or don't have a huge lead doesn't mean that we can't showcase our full package of blitzes. Jim Johnson of the Eagles blitzes any down in the game, no matter what the score. So what if Trent Green can recognize a blitz, you as a coach need to figure out how to disguise it. That's complete crap that we are letting Trent Green dictate how our defense will be run as opposed to our defense dictating to Trent Green and Cam Cameron how their offense will be run. Now, having said all this, we did hold them to 13 points, so I can't fault them too much, it just is unsettling that we are not as aggressive a defense as experts would lead you to believe. It seems we are actually passive, and this doesn't play to the strengths of playmakers like ST, LL, LF, etc.

GW has laid off of the blitzing for the past year, and it has bothered me a lot. He has been anything but aggressive, and just because we are tied or don't have a huge lead doesn't mean that we can't showcase our full package of blitzes. Jim Johnson of the Eagles blitzes any down in the game, no matter what the score. So what if Trent Green can recognize a blitz, you as a coach need to figure out how to disguise it. That's complete crap that we are letting Trent Green dictate how our defense will be run as opposed to our defense dictating to Trent Green and Cam Cameron how their offense will be run. Now, having said all this, we did hold them to 13 points, so I can't fault them too much, it just is unsettling that we are not as aggressive a defense as experts would lead you to believe. It seems we are actually passive, and this doesn't play to the strengths of playmakers like ST, LL, LF, etc.

Here's the problem with not blitzing - our whole hoaky theory on why we never draft top quality Dlinemen is based on the idea that safeties and LBs will be getting the sacks. If we rarely blitz, we're left with 6th round draft picks attempting to generate pressure on 1st and 2nd round draft picks. Bottom line, without blitzing, our mediocre pass rush quickly diminishes.

Even if our secondary is above average, a decent veteran like Green will eat them alive - assuming his receivers know how to catch a ball, that is.

i was also wondering why we didnt blitz more today.

I'm thinking it was what was said above, that Green was doing quick drops, throwing 5 yard outs, etc. What I'd like to knwo is why our corners were giving so much of a cushion. I'm not sure if it was Smoot or Rogers who kept giving eight-ten yards, but their receivers kept doing quick outs or button hooks and getting six-seven yards a pop. I'd like to see us jam at the line more.

Here's the problem with not blitzing - our whole hoaky theory on why we never draft top quality Dlinemen is based on the idea that safeties and LBs will be getting the sacks. If we rarely blitz, we're left with 6th round draft picks attempting to generate pressure on 1st and 2nd round draft picks. Bottom line, without blitzing, our mediocre pass rush quickly diminishes.

Even if our secondary is above average, a decent veteran like Green will eat them alive - assuming his receivers know how to catch a ball, that is.

I would think that almost any QB, given enough time, would have success, even a guy like Patrick Ramsey. We need to make the QB make bad decisions, because an NFL QB won't make a bad decision with all day in the pocket.

I'm thinking it was what was said above, that Green was doing quick drops, throwing 5 yard outs, etc. What I'd like to knwo is why our corners were giving so much of a cushion. I'm not sure if it was Smoot or Rogers who kept giving eight-ten yards, but their receivers kept doing quick outs or button hooks and getting six-seven yards a pop. I'd like to see us jam at the line more.

Absolutely agree, especially considering that most of the passes were the dinky short type stuff.

Absolutely agree, especially considering that most of the passes were the dinky short type stuff.

This isn't making much sense. First we don't blitz because they're dinking and dunking. If the DBs know this, why would they give such a big cushion? It almost looks like GW expects the other team to stop themselves if they keep dinking and dunking. This happened against the Dolphins, but against a better team it won't.

That really confused me today too. That and it seemed like we were soft in the middle of the field, which was a big problem last year. GW has got to find a way to get consistent pressure. Miami was basically one dimensional all day and yet we still let them have some drives.

No need to be too aggressive in a game where the offense isnt on fire. Why possibly give up a big play early in the game when you can sit back and let you defense make a play for you. Everybody played well and complimented each other on defense very well, you gotta crawl before you can walk and i think the skins will make strides by season end... the G Willams on defense and A Saunders on offense combination will be amazing to watch this year.

Archived