Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here's our man

ljer

We need Mr. Suggs....too bad he's gone by pick #13:doh:

DEFENSIVE END

Terrell Suggs (Arizona State)

Over the past three years, collegiate sack records have been achieved by the likes of Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney, both of whom transitioned easily into the NFL this season. Peppers and Freeney were definite impact performers at for the Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts, respectively.

Well, this season Suggs set a new standard for rushing the passer, establishing a new single-season sack record with 22, while also leading the nation with 29½ stops behind the line of scrimmage. If that wasn't enough, he forced six fumbles. Suggs wreaked havoc on a game-to-game basis, with his intensity level never wavering. Simply put, he was the most dominating defensive player in the nation.

Unlike Freeney, whose size (6-1) has been a question mark at times, Suggs figures to measure in the 6-4½ and 265-pound range, presenting the height and wingspan NFL clubs look for.

As much as I would love to see us pick up Suggs, I know that he'll be gone by the time we pick at 13.

I've moved my sights to DE Dewayne White from Louisville.

If there were a single defender in I-A football that stands out as one constantly in the opponents backfield wreaking havoc, it would be Dewayne White of Louisville. Compared by some to Bruce Smith, he is a prospect teams want on draft day; a lineman that impacts the game as a pass rusher. But how does he project to the next level.

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 270 40: 4.75

I'm just going to regurgitate some things I've read recently:

Suggs is expected to weigh in over 260 at the combine.

Dewayne White had a disappointing year after a huge season last year and at least one site I've read thinks it is due in part to him losing his pass rushing partner at the other DE position, allowing teams to focus more on him.

Bulldog

It is a passing league now. Stopping the run will always be important but it is less so now than ever. I'll take Simeon Rice over Joe Johnson any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But, I agree that if we trade up for the guy, he should be starting caliber at DE - not simply a situational player.

I feel he is an everydown player. He seems to be in the Jason Taylor mold. Light but surprisingly strong for his size.

It's a new game in the new milenium and you have to be able to put a QB on his back these days. Finding at least one and hopefully 2 of these QB-killers is the top priorty of the offseason. At least it should be. :D

I would rather see us go after the man-mountain from Hawaii, Vince Manuwai for OG. I know we need to address DE and DT, but I think we need another Hawaiian on the squad. The last one we had was Kurt Gouveia and he was always one of may favorites. That's probably because my uncle played ball with him in high school. My vote is to take Manuwai with the first pick, unless, as I've seen in some mock drafts, we can get him in the second. If we think we can get him with our second pick, I'd probably go with Suggs with the first.

I have no problem with undersized DEs -- they're only liabilities against the run, and we all know that Spurrier's offense puts so many points on the board that our opponents will be so far behind that they'll have to pass, not throw. Suggs will set the NFL sack record, too.

At least that's the dream, right?

Mick, I don't know if he was truly native, but my uncle went to school with him at Waianae High School. And get this, in HS Gouveia was actually the QB. My uncle played the role of LB. It was one of his great stories he'd tell me. The rest all had to do with surfing and hanging out on the westside of Oahu.

Suggs has certainly exploded up the charts.

I think he's plenty big enough. Kearse and even our own Bruce Smith are the same size and both are or have been top run stoppers. You don't need to be 280 to stop the run. You need to be athletic and have a great motor. Suggs seems to.

At this point he is probably emerging as my favorite player for the Redskins given how desperately we need defensive line help, especially at the pass rushing end. I'd love him to fall. I just don't know if we'll see that happen obviously.

Originally posted by NorEastNCFan

Mick, I don't know if he was truly native, but my uncle went to school with him at Waianae High School. And get this, in HS Gouveia was actually the QB. My uncle played the role of LB. It was one of his great stories he'd tell me. The rest all had to do with surfing and hanging out on the westside of Oahu.

I am sure Gouveia is at least part Hawaiian. I am originally from Kailua Hawaii so I'm fairly good at recognizing the natives. It wouldnt surprise me that he played QB. He was a great athlete and highly chiseled for his era.

Originally posted by jurgensen22

And how in the hell do i get my status above a cheerleader. Much love to the hogs in dresses tho. I've seen people that post like 3.3 a day and are still cheerleaders, what up with that.. :cool:

First, you must stop making silly suggestions such as taking a guard with our 1st round pick.

Other than that, it's based on total posts overall, not the daily average.

:shootinth

It seems pretty obvious that OG is the biggest weakness on our team and it needs to be addressed through FA or the draft... sounds like draft as I haven't seen any OG's worth picking up that would improve our team much.

Love Manuwai, but not at 13, maybe trade down with IND (need a DT), PIT (need a CB), or GB (if they honestly want Grossman and his value continues to rise). We should be able to get our pick of the OG's at 24, or at worst have to settle for Steinbach from Iowa.

It would always be nice to get some extra picks by trading down...

Archived