Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else bothered by the green dot?

Rodriggo

How poorly concieved is the green dot in the NFL?

Color is everything. We bleed Burgundy and Gold, we recognize our team colors because we love our team, have since childhood when we used to make crayon drawings about them or when we'd wear those "Hutch" football unis. We all know that Burgundy isn't exactly red but that it's not quite brown and that come fall it's one of the most unique looks in sport.

We also know that the NFL strictly adheres to the visual integrity of every team. Remember the fines when the Eagles put black tape on their wings and wore black shoes? We all remember that Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor were each docked thousands of dollars for showing a little creativity. Yet those two kept to the spirit of the law, by adorning themselves in socks that were a combination of the colors that we hold proud. That was not good enough for the league that has now gone a made a mockery of the very code they uphold.

What is the worst possible solution to the problem of having to denote the existence of radio communication in a player's helmet? A green dot. Why use color? Does the league not watch college football? Do they not know the existence of "clear stickers"? Why not a clear sticker with a headset icon, or I dunno, the letter "R" for radio? And why place it down the middle? On a Colts helmet it falls right on the blue stripe. How tacky is that ****? Does this not bother anybody? If it's just meant for the refs then why must it be so big? Couldn't it be moved to a less conspicuous but no less deliberate spot? If the refs knew where to look for it they'd find it. Why do I need to find it between 50 and a million times a game? Why does it need to be there at all? Only QBs wear them so why don't we just say something like, "All QBs have a radio in their helmet" and be done with it. By the way hasn't this been common knowledge for like thirty years now?

The helmet is color and the color is sacred. Get that ******* green dot off.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well I don't feel nearly as passionate about it as you, I have been trying to figure out what it meant. It was obvious that it was only on the QB's but I though that maybe it was meant so that the players/refs would know it is the QB so that during the quick action the players would be able to tell quickly that it was a QB so that they could abibe by the numerous BS rules protecting QB's and so that the refs would know it was a QB that got creamed.

Oh well if it is to denote a radio is in the helmet then it doesn't make much sense.

Does the D captain have a radio and a dot, never noticed?

Does the D captain have a radio and a dot, never noticed?

Good question. I don't know how many guys can have radios. I think it's only one. It would make sense that a Middle Linebacker have one but I don't think they do. I guess a MLB's job isn't as difficult and complex as a QBs.

Good question. I don't know how many guys can have radios. I think it's only one. It would make sense that a Middle Linebacker have one but I don't think they do. I guess a MLB's job isn't as difficult and complex as a QBs.

Not as complex but I guess it would be an advantage as the DC could be telling the D QB the possible plays with the package involved. Also how would you cut off the D's mike, I guess when the O breaks the huddle.

I heard on a Sports talk show, it was done when qb's like Mike Vick line up as WR, and not having to huddle to know the play (trickery),

to prevent an unfair advantage,

That doesn't make alot of sense. The QB will always have that unfair advantage then. They'd have to just stop using radio.

I heard on a Sports talk show, it was done when qb's like Mike Vick line up as WR, and not having to huddle to know the play (trickery),

to prevent an unfair advantage,

What bothers me about these times is this whole idea of having an "unfair advantage". It's sports. Isn't the whole purpose to try and do things that the other team doesn't know about and then they have to try and figure it out?

I heard that the fumble-rooskie has been outlawed in HS football. Why? It's one of the most exciting plays when it works. Next thing you know, you won't be able to do any play fakes, no statue of Liberty plays (Boise St.-great play) or pump fakes.

How in the hell did this "don't hurt anyone's feelings" or "let's not make the other team feel embarrassed" society come from? I hear that some little leagues don't keep score and if they do and another team gets too far ahead, they automatically "Catch" the other team up to make it fair.

How are kids supposed to learn that life is all about obsticles and overcoming them? Do you know that you'll have more bad moments in a lifetime than good ones? We kept score when I played pee wee sports and if we got our clock cleaned, we just had to deal with it. Geez.

How are kids supposed to learn that life is all about obsticles and overcoming them? Do you know that you'll have more bad moments in a lifetime than good ones?

Wow...man, I hate to say this but you are a F'ING GENIUS! Isn't it strange how WUSSED out the PC's have made sports and physical activity:

"Careful! Someone might lose and get mad and kill everyone!"

"Careful! Someone might get hurt and their head will explode!"

"Careful! Actually loosing might show weakness and make ourselves targets for Unsportsmanlike Terrorists!"

They even banned TAG in a Colorado Springs school for crying out loud! Don't even get me started on the 'tuck' rule or the 'hand to the QBs head' rule. Dang...can't we just use common sense with officiating anymore?!

Btw, I agree...get rid of the F'ing green dot. The NFL has been ok without it for how many years now? Get the retired players fund WORKING instead. :doh:

Wow...man, I hate to say this but you are a F'ING GENIUS! Isn't it strange how WUSSED out the PC's have made sports and physical activity:

"Careful! Someone might lose and get mad and kill everyone!"

"Careful! Someone might get hurt and their head will explode!"

"Careful! Actually loosing might show weakness and make ourselves targets for Unsportsmanlike Terrorists!"

They even banned TAG in a Colorado Springs school for crying out loud! Don't even get me started on the 'tuck' rule or the 'hand to the QBs head' rule. Dang...can't we just use common sense with officiating anymore?!

Btw, I agree...get rid of the F'ing green dot. The NFL has been ok without it for how many years now? Get the retired players fund WORKING instead. :doh:

I guess I'll take that as a compliment.??? :D

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the whole radio-in-helmet anyway.

i second that. if every team doesnt have one, then its fair, everyone deals with the fan noise, etc. it worked for the nfl for all those years, why not now

get back to sign language or better yet, letting the QB make the play decision occasionally.

You mean OCD?

No I don't have it.

No I don't have it.

No I don't have it.

No I don't have it.

No I don't have it.

Nah ADD. Like you're watching the game and all of a sudden you see the helmet dot and now you're thinking about the dot for the next few minutes and miss what's actually going on. Easily distracted type deal, you know.

it's needed because only one player on teh field is allowed to have an earpiece in their helmets. It is there because some teams were manipulating the rule and had multiple players with earpieces in their helmets so that they did not have to hear the play in the huddle because of crowd noise.

Archived