Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A thoughtful, NON-emotinal, analysis of Art Monk and the HOF........

kleese

Originally posted by codeorama

All of the receivers you named were faster and deep threats.

The primary reason they got open deep was NOT their speed but the fact that the number 1 corner had to cover Monk tight, otherwise he'd catch the ball while because of the tight coverage, you had to give over-the top help in case Monk got a step due to the tight coverage or he broke the CBs tackle.

Fact is this is the primary reason anyone gets open deep (assuming decent speed). The next reason is your own ability to run good patterns then the ability for the QB to see the whole field so the defense has to cover all its responsibilities. At this point, one can look at outstanding speed.

Doering was open on long routes several times this year.

----

I also don't believe in making up for a mistake by making another one but this is not the argument. If you use some reason to keep someone out of the HOF (Monk) then you should not put in another guy into the HOF for the same reasons.

When considering players for the HOF, the judges/experts/commitees should be able to look past all the antics/starpower/attitude of the players in question and just look at the PRODUCTION of the player and what he did. Art Monk's stats merit his induction to the HOF...

Monk deserves to get in, but not against this year's crop of players. Much as it hurts to say it, the 3 Raiduhs Stabler, Hayes and Marcus Allen deserve it more. So do a couple of the other guys. On the other hand, Monk should have gotten in before some of the other guys from last year.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Monk deserves to get in, but not against this year's crop of players. Much as it hurts to say it, the 3 Raiduhs Stabler, Hayes and Marcus Allen deserve it more. So do a couple of the other guys. On the other hand, Monk should have gotten in before some of the other guys from last year.

I agree with you.

I'll say this, compared to some of the other players that are already in the Hall, Monk deserves to be in as much as they do....

But my stance is that there are players there that don't deserve it. The hall of Fame is for the Elite, It should be limited, I hate how they have a quota each year, that a minimum number must make it. I don't like that at all. The odds are that Monk will get in sooner or later regardless of our opinions because at some point, there will be a weak class and they have to take at least 4 people.

:soapbox: Why does it have to be a weak class for Monk to get in? Monk is every bit the Hall of Famer Steve Largent is, plain and simple. All of these marginal names (like Lester Hayes) should be the answer to my other question, just for their respective teams. Why don't the Redskins have a REAL Hall of Fame? The ring of honor is nice, but our heros deserve more. As I stated in another post, most of the memorabilia disappeared from the HOF Store at FedEx after it became FedEx. The "Wall of Fame" plaques served as no more than flag stands for the now popular car flags at the Cowboys game. What a disgrace. Players like Larry Brown and Chris Hanburger need a Redskins Hall of Fame complete with an induction ceremony. These could be done during one of the preseason games to offer the fans a little more incentive to attend the pretend games. What would you like to see in this Hall? I think a replica of the ring of honor (circling the ceiling) would be nice. All of the missing memorabilia from the current store should be included. How about the 1937 and 1942 Championship trophies? A seat cushion from the '91('92) playoff game versus Atlanta. Custom replicas of all five stadiums the Redskins called home (including Boston). Baugh's retired jersey. The George Preston Marshall granite momument from outside of RFK. A complete library of Redskins programs and media guides. The sounds of Sonny, Frank, and Sam. This is all in addition to the usual mementos like uniforms, trophies (Lombardi), and etc.

At the time both were playing at the peak of their careers with excellent teams, there really wasn't much difference between Monk and John Stallworth and a half dozen receivers that are already in the HOF.

The fact Monk (and Stallworth as well) played longer and were more consistent than some others that were flashier but didn't take care of themselves should not count against him :)

Marcus Allen is a no brainer for the HOF. Ditto for Hayes.

I don't think Stabler, however should be a lock. He doesn't rate anywhere near the top qbs in any major categories and only won one championship on a team that was considered somewhat of an underachiever through most of the 70s.

Remember that after the loss to the Packers in SB II, the Raiders didn't get back for 8 years and were consistently a runner up to the Colts, then Dolphins and then Steelers.

Again, Stabler played 14 years, but where are his numbers overall?

If you are going to vote a guy into the HOF for 2 or 3 superb seasons surrounded by 11 or 12 medium to good ones than you need to put guys like Steve Grogan and Ken Anderson in the HOF too :)

And if that one Super Bowl in 1976 is so meaningful, then we can advance the case of Joe Theismann, who also won one Super Bowl and earned one MVP award :D

Archived