Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: Brunell TO SEAHAWKS!!!!! (merged)

Dan T.

What I blame on Brunell is meaningless stats that seem to thrill some people. I don't want want to see our QB throw another 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8. I want a guy with the confidence and game awareness to at least attempt to win the game, not play it safe all the time. I don't want a QB whose diminished passing skills cause our running game to suffer because everybody stacks the box.

I don't think ANY #3 has but a tiny chance of ever seeing the field, and that is huge compared to the possibility it turns into something positive for this team. On the other hand, MBs presence here is hurting the team. There is no future with MB, and we are preventing ourselves from developing Palmer or some young Joe off the street who may be actually able to help the team someday.

So, evethough I've shown you Brunell converted more than half of thrid down pass attempts, even better than Brady, you stick by your belief and show me something that is universal amongst the Brunell haters.

That is, all of you want to see a QB who hurls a ball down field, in other words, all you guys want is sparkle, you don't care about substance. Some of you know this, some say MB just irks you for an unknown reason. It's all the same. Some people appreciate that a Gibbs offense relies on QB game management and a sound run game. For this reason Gibbs was able to win 3 Superbowls with 3 different QBs, and others only want sparkle, and pizzaz, and have their teams star QB praised and loved by all the media.

This is why so many of you just throw out insults to try and weaken the perception of Brunell. This is why so many of you continue your blind hatred, no matter how many stats are thrown out at you, no matter how many times your childish name calling you try and pass off as "opinion" is disproven. Until the QB has that flash, and sadly that flash only requires the QB hurls a ball downfield, you haters will blindly hate. Pretty sad and pathetic you would do that to one of our own players.

I've already disproven these stupid notions that Brunell can't throw more than 10 yards, that somehow JC opened up the run game, not the D caring more about Moss than Betts. These stupid notions that Brunell can't play, eventhough multiple teams are showing interest in him right now. It all boils down to some childish/foolish notion of a young, stud QB who can throw the ball a mile. Sadly, Brunell doesn't fit that mold, and instead of appreciating the things he does bring to the table, you guys come on here and berate the man, insult the man, unneccessarily at every turn. I don't know if that shows lack of confidence, immaturity, ignorance, or all 3.

What I do know is it is a pathetic game to play, it certainly is disgraceful the level you all take it to, and it's even sadder that it's all because of some stupid ass preconceived notion of what a QB should be, force fed down our mouths by the sports media. If a QB is black, he has to be a scrambler. If he's white he has to have great arm power. Are you all so dumb you don't realize there are more aspects to a game than just the QB throwing the ball down field? Do you all really think if MB was as ineffective as you claim, that the coaching staff, who know what they are doing and are some of the best in the NFL, would stick with an ineffective QB? What's your excuse for Garcia and Pennington? They both win games, they both made the playoffs last year, and neither has that great ability to throw deep downfield.

Brunell is a solid QB who has a lot to offer as a back-up still, and any of you who have taken the hate to an extreme level (saying he sucks more than ten times, starting threads devoted solely to how much he sucks, etc.) ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I've already shown that your preconceptions of him are all false, that he is better than any of you haters give him credit for. All you can do is retort with childish name-calling and continue with your disproven preconceptions.

I now consider the argument closed, and all you haters as lost causes. Many of you will get to see this team do well again. Sadly, some of you really don't deserve it.

There is no link. It is called live news!!! Believe us our ears heard it right. We are not pulling anyone's chain.

The deal will be done in the next few days.

**** the Boonell crap. Who is the gal in the center? I sure would like to make a play/trade for her.

By the way how do you guys get these images to post in your signature? Please private mail the instructions.

Thanks! Thanks! Many Thanks!!:point2sky

So, evethough I've shown you Brunell converted more than half of thrid down pass attempts, even better than Brady, you stick by your belief and show me something that is universal amongst the Brunell haters.

Damn dude. That post was like the Declaration of Independence from Brunell Haters. I could not agree more with every single point you made. Your work in this thread deserves a medal.

I would like to pose Redskins "fans" this question:

If Collins is better than Brunell, how come we don't hear any trade rumors about Collins? It just seems to me that if he is this fantastic gem of a backup that he would at least be getting more looks than the "washed up" QB you all have pegged as our #3.

Embrace it. Brunell is our #2, and he is one of the better #2s in the league.

That is, all of you want to see a QB who hurls a ball down field, in other words, all you guys want is sparkle, you don't care about substance. Some of you know this, some say MB just irks you for an unknown reason. It's all the same. Some people appreciate that a Gibbs offense relies on QB game management and a sound run game. For this reason Gibbs was able to win 3 Superbowls with 3 different QBs, and others only want sparkle, and pizzaz, and have their teams star QB praised and loved by all the media.

This is why so many of you just throw out insults to try and weaken the perception of Brunell. This is why so many of you continue your blind hatred, no matter how many stats are thrown out at you, no matter how many times your childish name calling you try and pass off as "opinion" is disproven. Until the QB has that flash, and sadly that flash only requires the QB hurls a ball downfield, you haters will blindly hate. Pretty sad and pathetic you would do that to one of our own players.

I've already disproven these stupid notions that Brunell can't throw more than 10 yards, that somehow JC opened up the run game, not the D caring more about Moss than Betts. These stupid notions that Brunell can't play, eventhough multiple teams are showing interest in him right now. It all boils down to some childish/foolish notion of a young, stud QB who can throw the ball a mile. Sadly, Brunell doesn't fit that mold, and instead of appreciating the things he does bring to the table, you guys come on here and berate the man, insult the man, unneccessarily at every turn. I don't know if that shows lack of confidence, immaturity, ignorance, or all 3.

What I do know is it is a pathetic game to play, it certainly is disgraceful the level you all take it to, and it's even sadder that it's all because of some stupid ass preconceived notion of what a QB should be, force fed down our mouths by the sports media. If a QB is black, he has to be a scrambler. If he's white he has to have great arm power. Are you all so dumb you don't realize there are more aspects to a game than just the QB throwing the ball down field? Do you all really think if MB was as ineffective as you claim, that the coaching staff, who know what they are doing and are some of the best in the NFL, would stick with an ineffective QB? What's your excuse for Garcia and Pennington? They both win games, they both made the playoffs last year, and neither has that great ability to throw deep downfield.

Brunell is a solid QB who has a lot to offer as a back-up still, and any of you who have taken the hate to an extreme level (saying he sucks more than ten times, starting threads devoted solely to how much he sucks, etc.) ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I've already shown that your preconceptions of him are all false, that he is better than any of you haters give him credit for. All you can do is retort with childish name-calling and continue with your disproven preconceptions.

I now consider the argument closed, and all you haters as lost causes. Many of you will get to see this team do well again. Sadly, some of you really don't deserve it.

Did you even watch Brunell play last year? Or did you just look at the stat page afterwards?

With Brunell in the game, we were getting blown out most of the time.

In 3 divisional road games with Brunell, our offense put up a whopping 3 points each game, enroute to getting blown out. We weren't even competitive in those 3 very important games.

Most of those 3rd down conversions were well after the game had been decided, and the defense was playing prevent.

With Campbell at the helm, we were in every single game until the end.

I don't hate Brunell, he was great in 2005, but that was 2 years ago. Now, he is an average backup at best.

First, the only stat that means anything to me is our W/L record. I have not been impressed with Marks overall production there. When we were postseason due mostly to an awesome defense, MB disappeared. If he were a young man, I would be on board with getting him up to speed with our revered coaching staff, but Marks better days are behind him.

Second, I am not a Brunell hater and I don't ever recall insulting him personally On this board or anywhere else. I feel MB is an upstanding individual and has good character. Anybody invited to dinner at the Gibbs is probably a pretty decent human. I also think whatever he can teach JC has been taught. They started learning this offense on the same day. And any, ANY comments I have made about Mark only reflect my impression of him as our QB.

Third, I think MB is probably in the top third of all #2s in the NFL. Unfortunately, it appears Collins has outplayed him for our backup. I don't think MB is worth a roster spot for #3, and I would like to see him continue playing, but elsewhere. I would love seeing the skins face him.

In my mind, MB will always be a Skin because of that Dallas game, but I have a hard time finding other games that make me wannna love him as our QB considering the balance of his performance here. And if the team can get a decent pick for him (4th or 5th), we should jump on it.

Brunell was 47 of 84 on 3rd down passing, or 56%.

Campbell was 34 of 70 on 3rd down passing, or 48.6%

Tom Brady was 71 of 136 on 3rd down passing, or 52.2%

Yeah, eff stats. Those silly little things do nothing but make opinions with no facts look even dumber.

I love stats, only when they are used properly though.

That is COMPLETED not CONVERTED.

Big difference.

Anyone can jack that number up by settling for a dump off versus actually trying to convert the 3rd down. I'll bet that Tom Brady's numbers have more converted in them than do Mark Brunell's.

I think if you change the criteria to 3rd downs converted, Brunell's numbers take a massive drop.

As a team we only converted 37.4 percent of our 3rd downs.

I could not find the numbers broken down by 3rd downs converted but take a look at the same QBs numbers when it comes to percentage of completions that resulted in a 1st down.

Jason Campbell 110 completions 68 resulted in a 1st down 61.8%

Tom Brady 389 completions 211 resulted in a 1st down 54.2%

Mark Brunell 162 completions 80 resulted in a 1st down 49.4%

Those stats are from the Situational Splits from last season at NFL.com

Interesting.....isn't it? Kind of makes the point about ole "Mr. Dump Off" doesn't it?

I love stats, only when they are used properly though.

That is COMPLETED not CONVERTED.

Big difference.

Anyone can jack that number up by settling for a dump off versus actually trying to convert the 3rd down. I'll bet that Tom Brady's numbers have more converted in them than do Mark Brunell's.

I think if you change the criteria to 3rd downs converted, Brunell's numbers take a massive drop.

As a team we only converted 37.4 percent of our 3rd downs.

I could not find the numbers broken down by 3rd downs converted but take a look at the same QBs numbers when it comes to percentage of completions that resulted in a 1st down.

Jason Campbell 110 completions 68 resulted in a 1st down 61.8%

Tom Brady 389 completions 211 resulted in a 1st down 54.2%

Mark Brunell 162 completions 80 resulted in a 1st down 49.4%

Those stats are from the Situational Splits from last season at NFL.com

Interesting.....isn't it? Kind of makes the point about ole "Mr. Dump Off" doesn't it?

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

You'd HAVE to be a.) Mark himself b.) a relative of his OR c.) legally blind to hold his recent play in such high regard.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

You'd HAVE to be a.) Mark himself b.) a relative of his OR c.) legally blind to hold his recent play in such high regard.

The most damning thing is that a QB, working in the same offense, with the same personnel (that's arguable since JC didn't have the benefit of Clinton Portis or even a healthy Santana Moss) and playing for the first time ever in the NFL, dwarfed Brunell's numbers.

Joe Gibbs (Era 1-aka the real Joe Gibbs) never, I'll repeat NEVER, ran an offense that settled for the short "safe" stuff. He always employed the deep passing game. Soften them up with the run and then hit'em deep. Crowd the line (like the 46 Bears) kill'em deep and make them pay for it. That was Joe Gibbs Football. But Gibbs 2.0 seems more concerned with what is "safe" and thus we get "he's super smart" and "doesn't make mistakes" instead of the agressive play we've seen in the past by Theismann,Schroeder,Williams, and Rypien.

It does appear that we finally may be returning to a real "Joe Gibbs" QB with Jason Campbell and this whole Mark Brunell mistake has finally come to a long long long long overdue end.

Would you trade Brunell for a #7 pick when we just saw what Jordan Palmer is capable of as the #3 qb?

If we get down to our 3rd string QB the season is sunk anyway, so keep the young guy who has potential to get better over a guy who can only get worse is my thought.

Archived