Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie Watch 2007

Isifhan

***Edited through 12/11/2007***

Landry and Okoye continue to look like the cream of this list. After initally having an incredible three game strech with 4.5 sacks Okoye's production dropped significantly only registering 1 more sack in the next 10 games. However he's allowed Mario Williams to drastically improve on his sack total as well.

Landry has been consistent but not spectacular performer. He disguises sacks very well but needs work on his hands. When compared with Adam Archuleta whom he was drafted to replace the guy looks like an all star. With Sean passing Landry seems likely to switch to FS and eventually his numbers should improve once he calms down a bit and makes catchable interceptions.

Calvin Johnson, though hurt and only starting 7 games has pedestrian numbers. Certiainly not worth the amount some were willing to pay to trade up and get him. Kudos to the FO for holding their ground. Will he develop into a good or great receiver? Perhaps, he has the tools but he hasn't made a once in a lifetime game changing player impact as of yet, and if he was once in a lifetime he should be dominating from the outset.

The others are putting up fairly terrible numbers. Wouldn't go so far as to call them busts but aside from Gaines Adams the others have 48 tackles and 2 sacks combined.

In all I'm very pleased with Landry who should be a solid, if not spectacular in time safety.

***Edited through 10/3/2007***

Seems like Amobi Okoye is making the most impact out of all the rookies in the watch by far. I would say Landry and Calvin Johnson are about neck and neck. For the "best receiver ever to come out of college let's mortgage our future and do anything to get him" crowd he's put up respectible numbers and helped that offense, but he's certainly not a game changer at the moment. Roy Williams is making that offense go not CJ. I'm glad *at this point in time* we stood pat and took Landry. Updated statistics below.

***end edit***

As the 2007 season gets underway I thought it would be fun to keep up with the Rookie Class, specifically the draftees that a majority of folks were clamoring for prior to said draft. So below I've started a compilation of the most popular draftees and what they've done so far during the preseason.

Obviously not much can be learned at this point, so this isn't intended to be a post showing one pick was justified over another, just a post that can be updated throughout the year as to how those popular picks are doing. Since we don't have any real information on them yet I've compiled their stats up to this point and some select quotes from various news sources. Feel free to contribute in any way you see fit.

Quotes from unnamed members on the drafting of LaRon Landry:

…In the end, the Redskins saw all options, explored every possibility, and, as the draft fell, other plans falling away, they sat at No. 6, looking for possible moves down, finding little of value, and, they took the most sound, reasonable, fundamental pick possible.

…Choosing Landry was as simple and solid as it gets, traits we rarely credit to our FO. He was the BPA, and it was an area of need, too. Pretty straight up, there.

…to say Landry was the best player on everyone's board may sound nice and make people feel good, but it is probably not true. Landry might be regarded as the "safe" pick, but to me he was a pick that represents a fear of failure by the Redskins front office. Meanwhile, unless something unforseen happens, we will pay the price for having the worst DLine in the league again...

…This was a wasted pick. No matter how good Landry is, it was an absolutely ridiculous move by a front office that is lost.

Statistics per nfl.com

Washington: Laron Landry

Preseason Statistics:

8 Tackles (4 solo)

0 Sacks

0 Pass Defended

Regular Season Statistics:

82 Tackles (56 solo)

1.5 Sacks

4 Pass Defended

Excerpts:

...The first signature moment for the Washington Redskins' defense this season came from a rookie.

On a third-and-five play from the Washington 23-yard line in the preseason opener two weeks ago, safety LaRon Landry burst through the line on a blitz and drilled Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins in the backfield, forcing an errant throw that ended a Titans drive. It was the kind of aggressive play the Redskins' defense hopes to be known for this year.

..."He's come in, he's learned what he's had to do," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "We've got to put him out there. We've got to have him."

Landry's rapid development bodes well for a defense that struggled to make big plays last year. Landry and free safety Taylor have the makings to form a strong, fast and fearless tandem for years to come.

..."LaRon has put himself in a position so that everyone feels comfortable around him," assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams said. "The opportunities that he has had this preseason caused his teammates to notice that they play better when he is in there. He has built trust in a lot of people."

Detroit: Calvin Johnson

Preseason Statistics:

5 catches 70 yards 0 TD’s

37 catches (long 39) 553 yards 4 TD's

3 rush 50 yards

Excerpts:

...Calvin Johnson showed a glimpse of what's to come from the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft. Calvin Johnson caught two passes for 45 yards late in the first half to set up a score and the Detroit Lions rallied late to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 27-26 on Thursday night in the exhibition opener for both teams.

...Calvin Johnson went catchless in his second preseason game as a Lion, a 23-20 win over the Browns, but one play is making some noise.

He didn't catch one pass, but it's obvious that officials are buying into the hype that the rookie wide receiver is indeed from another world. Toward the end of the first half, Jon Kitna heaved a high pass to the corner of the end zone that even Superman's hops couldn't have corralled. But Cleveland defensive back Jereme Perry was flagged for interfering with Calvin Johnson. It was a bad call.

Tampa Bay: Gaines Adams

*First two games exclusively with second team defense

Preseason Statistics

7 tackles (6 solo)

1 Pass Defended

1 Sack

Regular Season Statistics

30 Tackles (23 solo)

2 Pass Defended

4.5 Sacks

1 FF

Excerpts:

...RUSH HOUR: The Bucs came into this camp looking to generate more of a pass rush. They're still looking. The slow development of Gaines Adams is part of the problem. According to some Bucs vets, so is the absence of a proven playmaker.

...In the Bucs’ preseason opener against the New England Patriots, he quickly made his presence felt. Shortly after entering the game Adams, unable to get to the quarterback, instinctively batted down a Tom Brady pass on third down to kill the New England drive. He finished the game with two solo tackles, two assists and that one big pass defensed.

...Gruden has not been quick to criticize Adams. He said the fourth overall pick of the draft has shown improvement since training camp opened two weeks ago. 'He made some really good plays in the game the other night. Athletic plays. Chasing screens down. He had a couple of good penetrations,' Gruden said. 'He had a tough night. They chipped him on almost every passing down. That's tough on anybody, let alone a rookie player, but I do like some of the upside.'

Atlanta: Jamaal Anderson

Preseason Statistics:

4 tackles (2 solo)

1 Pass Defend

0 sacks

24 tackles (20 solo)

0 Pass Defend

0 sacks

Excerpts

...First-round draft pick Jamaal Anderson was inserted as the starting left defensive end Sunday, a move generated by his progress and new coach Bobby Petrino's mind-set that if a change is imminent, why wait?

"We need to get him in, no question about it," Petrino said of Anderson. "He's come back from the break in very good condition. He's not been timid at all. He's been really good going against the run, and he already had the ability to rush the pass. Right now, it's just getting used to lining up with the Ones."

Anderson did not have any eye-popping plays, but he stayed at home on a reverse by Brad Smith and held up the play until help arrived.

..."He's going to be a nice player for us. Jamaal Anderson was in there a lot. He held the point (of attack) against the run pretty well. We really didn't get to see him pass rush."

Houston: Amobi Okoye

Preseason Statistics:

Five Tackles (2 solo)

1 sack

0 Pass Defended

28 Tackles (20 solo)

5.5 sacks (evened out after a 4.5 sack performance over first three games)

0 pass defend

Excerpts:

...The Houston Texans have taken defensive linemen in the first round of the past four drafts, including No. 10 pick Amobi Okoye in April and No. 1 choice Mario Williams last year. But it isn't helping the pass rush. The starting linemen haven't registered a quarterback pressure, much less a sack in two preseason games for the Texans, who ranked 27th in the NFL in sacks last year.

...And then there was Amobi Okoye. The Louisville product and 10th overall pick in the 2007 draft had three tackles and got in on his first NFL sack, assisting linebacker Shantee Orr on a takedown of Romo sits to pee to close out the first half. Afterward, Okoye said he’s starting to feel more and more like he belongs in the NFL.

St. Louis: Adam Carriker

Preseason Statistics:

Two Tackles (2 solo)

0 Sacks

0 Pass defended

24 Tackles (15 solo)

2 Sacks

1 Pass Defended

1 Safety

Excerpts:

...Carriker is known for using his hands well to fend off or occupy blockers. Wroten said his hands are fine; his issues are with his lower extremities.

..."He's ready," coach Scott Linehan said. "He's worked with the (first team) from the get-go and never looked out of place. It'll be fun to watch him play."

...One of the chief challenges in moving from defensive end at Nebraska to tackle here is expunging many of the techniques he used in college. "A lot of the things I learned at Nebraska that I was supposed to do, if I do it here, it's wrong," he said. "So I'm unlearning some of the stuff that I'd been taught for three or four years. But other than that, I'm adjusting pretty well."

Arizona: Alan Branch

Preseason Statistics

3 Tackles (2 solo)

0 Sacks

0 Pass Defended

4 Tackles

0 Sacks

0 Pass Defended

(guess there was a reason this dude fell)

Excerpts:

...Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said he has been impressed with Branch's desire during camp so far. "He's getting a lot of pressure from the way the defensive line is playing and he's improving," Whisenhunt said. "He wants to be good, and that's one thing about Alan I really like, that he wants to be a good football player and he's trying to do it the right way

Very good thread. It should be interesting. I'll gladly eat my words if Landry becomes sensational, and Anderson/Branch become just another pair of average DE/DTs. I'm happy that at least we didn't go after Okoye. Gaines Adams I felt was going to be a great pass rusher, and it would suck terribly for them if he ended up never meeting his potential.

So far I think Landry is surpassing even the best predictions for him. We'll see come the regular season, but as of now he's playing like a seasoned veteran.

At worst, he seems about on par (if not a touch ahead) of Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson, the two people who seemed most desired during the offseason by the fans. Branch seems to be about what I expected after the Rose Bowl; not much.

]']Very good thread. It should be interesting. I'll gladly eat my words if Landry becomes sensational' date=' and Anderson/Branch become just another pair of average DE/DTs. I'm happy that at least we didn't go after Okoye. Gaines Adams I felt was going to be a great pass rusher, and it would suck terribly for them if he ended up never meeting his potential.[/quote']

You might wanna get your bib ready, Landry already looks phenominal!

Landry was unmatched in this years Draft class when it came to Saftey's. Only M Griffen came close but he was converted to CB, after that there was a major drop off. LL is playing the way he played at LSU, his skill level at saftey was his upside by draft experts.

Thee sure were a lot of Alan Branh fans around. My favorite player in the draft was ILB Patrick Willis. Once the Redskins signed Fletcher I scratched him off my board, leaving Carriker and Landry. So far Landry has been the best pick and I think his stats will only elevate that thought as time progresses!!!

Interesting. Definitely one to come back to at around the halfway point of the season and again at the end of the season. Right now, seems like the Redskins did just fine. Hope young Mr. Landry keeps that trend going all season long.

Thee sure were a lot of Alan Branh fans around. My favorite player in the draft was ILB Patrick Willis. Once the Redskins signed Fletcher I scratched him off my board, leaving Carriker and Landry. So far Landry has been the best pick and I think his stats will only elevate that thought as time progresses!!!

Landry was the best "defensive player" in the draft all draft experts agreed, it was either him or a DL for the skins. GW knew that when he picked LL that no other "defensive player" would make a greater impact. Carriker is slow, my choice for a DL was Jamaal Anderson and he's balling for the Falcon's.

Landry was the best "defensive player" in the draft all draft experts agreed, it was either him or a DL for the skins. GW knew that when he picked LL that no other "defensive player" would make a greater impact. Carriker is slow, my choice for a DL was Jamaal Anderson and he's balling for the Falcon's.
Not to get into an argument but Carriker was the perfect size and had the right character to become a DE on run situations and a DT on pass situations in GW's scheme! He was requested add weight and be used as a NT/DT in the Rams scheme so his stats will not prove comparable.

Whats your point do you know who Jamaal Anderson is? He's a way better athelete then Carriker, why you think they moved him over to DT. We need a pass rusher not a run stopper if we picked a DL IMO. We drafted 2 DT in last years draft (golston n montgomery), another DT would have stunted their development.

Both of you two are crazy. Carriker is not slow. He's 300 pounds and runs a 4.7. Much better athlete than Anderson, and would have been a great pickup for the Skins. But Landry is nice.

Are you serious J Anderson used to play WR in highschool, Carriker is a ONE direction runner, he was horrible in the Cone drills that test change of direction. he's not athletic just big strong and faster than most DT

I'll admit that I wanted Branch at first, but I'm glad I was wrong. There I said it. Looking at the Taylor and Landry tandem, frightening to opposing receivers, backs, and QB's.

Funny thing... I think HB Blades has outplayed all of them' date=' including Landry.[/quote']

I agree with you. Thats not a knock against Landry. Blades has just been that good. I'm still stunned that he fell so far in the draft. We got a legit 2nd round draft pick in the six round and he is playing like 1st round pick. With Landry living up to his hype we are going to end up having an excellent draft class, despite the lack of picks.:2cents:

Now if we can have a draft as good as this years with the additional picks we will have next year.....

Archived