Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espns Worst Beatdowns Ever (2 skins tidbits)

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

100. Georgia Tech 222, Cumberland 0.Yes, college football's most prestigious award is named after a coach who once ran up the score on tiny Cumberland College in 1916. There is a background story here: Cumberland had discontinued its football team before the season, but Tech held Cumberland to its scheduling agreement (otherwise Cumberland would have had to pay Tech $3,000), so the tiny school from Lebanon, Tenn., sent a scrub team of 14 players. It wasn't pretty as Cumberland had 15 turnovers. Beatdown? This was more like bad sportsmanship. Shame on you, John Heisman.

I should be really embarrassed by this, but thankfully, it's a different Cumberland. :laugh:

If you want to talk about playoff beatdowns, what about the Jags vs Dolphins. Wasn't it like 52-0? I don't know what the exact score was, but I remember that the Dan Marino/Jimmy Johnson Dolphins had zippy. That was a beatdown.

It was on there. Right here:

83. Jacksonville 62, Miami 7, 1999 AFC Playoffs. A beatdown so bad, it turned out to be the last NFL game for both Dan Marino and Jimmy Johnson.

That was when Brunell was smoking. :)

100. Georgia Tech 222, Cumberland 0.Yes, college football's most prestigious award is named after a coach who once ran up the score on tiny Cumberland College in 1916. There is a background story here: Cumberland had discontinued its football team before the season, but Tech held Cumberland to its scheduling agreement (otherwise Cumberland would have had to pay Tech $3,000), so the tiny school from Lebanon, Tenn., sent a scrub team of 14 players. It wasn't pretty as Cumberland had 15 turnovers. Beatdown? This was more like bad sportsmanship. Shame on you, John Heisman.

I should be really embarrassed by this, but thankfully, it's a different Cumberland. :laugh:

They were talking about that here in Atlanta the other day and said that Ga Tech didn't have a second down play all day. Unbelievable stats.

These statistics are based on the sources listed below and may be incomplete.

• Rushing: Cumberland, 27-(minus 42)-0TD; Georgia Tech 28-440-18TD
  • Passing: Cumberland, 2-18, 14 yards, 6 interceptions; Georgia Tech, 0-0
  • Kicking: Cumberland, 0-0 FG, 0-0 XP; Georgia Tech, 0-0 FG, 30-32 XP
  • Turnovers: Cumberland 15 (9 fumbles, 6 interceptions), Georgia Tech 0

They were talking about that here in Atlanta the other day and said that Ga Tech didn't have a second down play all day. Unbelievable stats.

These statistics are based on the sources listed below and may be incomplete.

• Rushing: Cumberland, 27-(minus 42)-0TD; Georgia Tech 28-440-18TD
  • Passing: Cumberland, 2-18, 14 yards, 6 interceptions; Georgia Tech, 0-0
  • Kicking: Cumberland, 0-0 FG, 0-0 XP; Georgia Tech, 0-0 FG, 30-32 XP
  • Turnovers: Cumberland 15 (9 fumbles, 6 interceptions), Georgia Tech 0

Those 2 missed PATs were probably the last two as the GT kicker just got tired. :)

95. NBA referees versus Sacramento Kings, Game 6, 2002 Western Conference finals: Kings called for 27 fourth-quarter fouls against the Lakers as L.A. pulled out a 106-102 victory.

I remember this. I was so livid. That game was so blatantly fixed.

Whatever dude. The Sacto Kings were choke artists, floppers, and all around dirty players. Their alleged "pressure defense" was only them fouling without it getting called.

How about the 1983 playoff win against the Rams....Redskins 51, Rams 7.

Or the 1966 game agains the Giants.... Redskins 72, NYG 41.

HTTR

Sam Huff enjoyed the 1966 game even more than we fans did...he remembers that he kept telling Sonny to keep on scoring because he was so pissed at Allie Sherman :laugh:

OJ -vs- Nicole and Ron didn't even make the list?

But seriously, what about the 1991 Redskins vs the 1991 Lions?

The Redskins beat them in the opener 41-0 then in the NFCCG 45-10. The 2nd best team in the NFC got beat by a combined score of 86-10 by the Redskins.

95. NBA referees versus Sacramento Kings, Game 6, 2002 Western Conference finals: Kings called for 27 fourth-quarter fouls against the Lakers as L.A. pulled out a 106-102 victory.

I remember this. I was so livid. That game was so blatantly fixed.

all jokes aside, was donahue (sp?) reffing that game?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schoenfield/070823

3. 1940 NFL championship: Bears 73, Redskins 0. The Bears had 501 yards of offense, intercepted eight passes and officials had to ask Bears coach George Halas to run or pass for the PAT on the team's final two scores because so many balls had been kicked into the stands.

73. Super Bowl XXII: Redskins 42, Broncos 10.

i thought this one was funny too

44. The playoffs versus Marty Schottenheimer.

# 73 PRICELESS........

I agree but how in the world was there only 5 horses in that race? Nowadays there are at least 8-12 it seems.

there were only 7 in the Belmont this past year and it really doesn't matter if there were 35 horses in the field with him or no horses. He knocked more than 3 full seconds off of the track record and no horse has come within 2 seconds of Secretariats time. He won by 31 lengths for pete's sake.

But yeah you are right, it is out of the ordinary to see only 5 in the field for a major stakes race like that, but it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that Secretariat was going to win that race long before he ran it. Not by as much as he did, but he was going off at less than even money.

Whatever dude. The Sacto Kings were choke artists, floppers, and all around dirty players. Their alleged "pressure defense" was only them fouling without it getting called.

27, count them, 27 in ONE QUARTER. LOL

Give me a break. The Kings were not a shabby team then and one has to wonder how a team is called for that many fouls in one quarter. Your argument lends nothing to merit the rationality of those referees.

Archived