Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did anyone see the Art Monk interview this morning on a WUSA 9?

Baculus

Right when I was leaving for work this AM, I had channel 9 (WUSA, a local D.C. channel) news on my TV, and Art Monk was being interviewed. I only caught part of it, but he was asked about Jason Campbell, how the team looks thus far, and the Michael Vick situation. Unfortunately I was tying my shoes, around the corner from my TV, and didn't realize it was Monk until I walked over to my TV and said, "Hey, that's ART MONK!"

The only part I really caught was when he was talking about Vick: He wasn't trying to pass judgement on Vick, but really discussed working with young players and the need for these youths to build character and integrity.

I liked how the interviewer described Art as a "Hall of Famer," even though he "hasn't been inducted into the hall as of yet." That was very cool.

Did anyone happen to record this segment, or do the AM segments typically replay at another time? I really wish I had paid more attention, but I was in a rush trying to get ready for leaving my house.

In my books, Art should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame a while back. I sincerely do wish him well, and hope this time around he gets in - he deserves it! Atleast more than pot smoking Michael Irwin!

he was interviewed on Sirius radio this morning talking about the same things. he said true redskins fans stick with this team through thick and thin, that's why we are still one of the most popular franchises in the country, and that we have the most loyal fan base of any NFL team.

he touched on Campbell and said he thought that the team was heading in the right direction this year, that he honestly felt that all the players were working hard and were fighting for the the same goals. To be the best team they can be. Nothing out of the ordinary, but it was good to hear his voice and I think it was a former Dallas coach that hosts a show on Sirius with Randy Cross that was interviewing him. They both talked about the fact that he was the all-time leader in receptions when he retired, they noted his yards and TD's and the fact that he won 3 Super bowls with three different QB's (which was more difficult than Montana to Rice or Aikman to Irvin who had years of building chemistry) and that he went to 3 straight pro-bowls and could have easily gone to 5 ... basically repeating every argument as to why he should already be in. Said he was willing to do the dirty work, to block for his other receivers and RB's and QB's ... most importantly they said if they had to draft a fantasy team with players from the HOF, that even though he isn't in there yet, he would be a first round draft pick.

One of the announcers called him one of the most clutch receivers to ever play the game. Good to hear he's getting some recognition. Sucks that all he has to do is start be viewable to the public for people to remember what he did in the game who aren't skins fans.

most importantly they said if they had to draft a fantasy team with players from the HOF, that even though he isn't in there yet, he would be a first round draft pick.

Not a knock on Monk, but he's not one of the top 32 players in NFL history. The only WR who is, is Jerry Rice, teams would choose QBs, LTs, and pass rushers, than phenominal athletes like Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, and Deion Sanders, before almost every WR.

I heard the interview, he talked about several items here are some key points.

1) the bank of america checking account promotion, I guess he is working with

Charles Mann

2) talked about JC and how he reminds him of Mark Rypien. He said he had the poise and he just needs game time expierence

3) talked about the Posse and he they had the mind set of doing whatever they could to get open and get into the end zone. other players saw that and wanted to do the same. (asked by DOC what the current big 3 could do to have simliar success)

4) about HOF, he said he will continue to work and give to this area. when the time come that he is elected then he will talk about then.

Not a knock on Monk, but he's not one of the top 32 players in NFL history. The only WR who is, is Jerry Rice, teams would choose QBs, LTs, and pass rushers, than phenominal athletes like Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, and Deion Sanders, before almost every WR.

Dude - you are 22. I would have to venture that you have barely seen Art Monk in action. Sorry to say, but you don't know what you are talking about. And Art Monk was an excellent athlete.

Not sure why you felt the need to post that. However, if we are talking straight-up fantasy team, skill position players would get picked first.

Second, if we are simply talking about picking guys who would most benefit a team, I'd take Monk over Deion Sanders in a heartbeat. Probably over Sayers too.

That would be fair - but he is still in the top 15 plus receivers of all time in Catches: #6 (940) and yards, #11 with 12,000+. He retired as the most prolific pass catcher ever and was the first receiver after the AFL/NFL merger to catch 100+ balls (106 in 1984).

His abilities and team work laid the foundation for the model receiver for years to come.

Ask any of his coaches or teamates and even more important, his opponents - was he one of the best? I defy you to find one player who doesnt think he is a hall of famer.

That would be fair - but he is still in the top 15 plus receivers of all time in Catches: #6 (940) and yards, #11 with 12,000+. He retired as the most prolific pass catcher ever and was the first receiver after the AFL/NFL merger to catch 100+ balls (106 in 1984).

His abilities and team work laid the foundation for the model receiver for years to come.

Ask any of his coaches or teamates and even more important, his opponents - was he one of the best? I defy you to find one player who doesnt think he is a hall of famer.

Lol thats a awesome signature dude. Love it.. Wish i had som1 across the field that could take a pic of me, i am right on the field but would need som1 with a good camera like yours

Only a 22 year old Dallasfan would but ignorant enough to say that

In my books, Art should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame a while back. I sincerely do wish him well, and hope this time around he gets in - he deserves it! Atleast more than pot smoking Michael Irwin!

NO kidding, but at least Irvin had the decency to give Monk some credit during his acceptance speech. Maybe Irvin had run out of cocaine that morning or something, because he actually appeared sober.

No offense to Monk, but he sure is a boring interview. All I heard was him droning on about his involvement with Bank Of America. :(

i saw him and bmitch having lunch with terry ore at a restaurant in alexandria about 10years ago. i got the pics to prove it!

I wonder if Terry Orr was ripping them off at that moment, lol.

"In some cases, former players use their friendships to bilk their old teammates. Former tight end Terry Orr was sentenced to 14 months in prison last August for defrauding a Georgia businessman and three former Washington Redskin teammates, including Art Monk, one of the greatest wide receivers in NFL history. Each of the players invested $50,000 in Orr's failed shoe company. Prosecutors say Orr diverted most of the money to pay personal debts."

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/020211/archive_020154_2.htm

No, Chris Hanburger is not in the Hall of Fame, for obvious reasons. He played 14 seasons for the Skins and made only 9 Pro Bowls.

As for Monk, I am so sick of people using the wrong benchmark to judge his greatness. He was not a WR who ran 20 yards down the field for a jump ball every play. He was an extraordinarily versatile WR who could do just about anything--and the coaches loved to use all of his skills, even if they didn't show up in the stats.

Sure, he could go deep. He could go over the middle. He could run reverses. He was an excellent special teamer--even while he was starting. And he could block (I challenge anyone to name 3 retired true WRs who were better blockers).

In fact, because he was such a great blocker, and because of his unique combination of speed, smarts, and strength, Gibbs created some great mismatches by using Monk unconventionally. For example, what other receivers of his era could consistently be moved in motion to a TE position and successfully seal off a side of the line? (Gibbs now uses Thrash a lot in that type of role because of the blocking mismatches he can create.)

Monk was a major reason we could go three wide and run the ball down opponents' throats. Monk wasn't the first true WR who was physical and strong, but (at least in my memory) he was the first to use those skills to dominate in the running game.

I believe Monk redefined the position (or at least introduced a new "strain" of WR), but in a way that made the position less glamorous. Is it any wonder that his unquantifiable contributions--the things that brought so much value to his game--are overlooked?

Kellen Winslow redefined his position by bringing better receiving skills to the TE position, and he was rewarded with a spot in the Hall. Monk redefined his position by bringing new toughness and blocking skills to the WR position, and he is punished. Makes sense.

No, Chris Hanburger is not in the Hall of Fame, for obvious reasons. He played 14 seasons for the Skins and made only 9 Pro Bowls.

As for Monk, I am so sick of people using the wrong benchmark to judge his greatness. He was not a WR who ran 20 yards down the field for a jump ball every play. He was an extraordinarily versatile WR who could do just about anything--and the coaches loved to use all of his skills, even if they didn't show up in the stats.

Sure, he could go deep. He could go over the middle. He could run reverses. He was an excellent special teamer--even while he was starting. And he could block (I challenge anyone to name 3 retired true WRs who were better blockers).

In fact, because he was such a great blocker, and because of his unique combination of speed, smarts, and strength, Gibbs created some great mismatches by using Monk unconventionally. For example, what other receivers of his era could consistently be moved in motion to a TE position and successfully seal off a side of the line? (Gibbs now uses Thrash a lot in that type of role because of the blocking mismatches he can create.)

Monk was a major reason we could go three wide and run the ball down opponents' throats. Monk wasn't the first true WR who was physical and strong, but (at least in my memory) he was the first to use those skills to dominate in the running game.

I believe Monk redefined the position (or at least introduced a new "strain" of WR), but in a way that made the position less glamorous. Is it any wonder that his unquantifiable contributions--the things that brought so much value to his game--are overlooked?

Kellen Winslow redefined his position by bringing better receiving skills to the TE position, and he was rewarded with a spot in the Hall. Monk redefined his position by bringing new toughness and blocking skills to the WR position, and he is punished. Makes sense.

What a fantastic post Goldbean. :applause: Good job.

So how many LT's do you draft for your FANTASY team. If you read that the correct way I have a $100 Fantasy league I would like you to play in. Heck if you got in the league I would try to push it up to $250.

Dude - you are 22. I would have to venture that you have barely seen Art Monk in action. Sorry to say, but you don't know what you are talking about. And Art Monk was an excellent athlete.

wasn't a knock on him, but if you knew what you were talking about, you would know that WR isn't a premium position in the NFL. Successful teams don't build around a WR. The Vikings tried to build around Moss, and it had bad results, teams like the 49ers that had Rice built around the QB.

So how many LT's do you draft for your FANTASY team. If you read that the correct way I have a $100 Fantasy league I would like you to play in. Heck if you got in the league I would try to push it up to $250.

Maybe I had to hear them say it, cause the impression I got wasn't for playing fantasy football, more like if you were building a team just for discussion purposes. Reguardless considering how FF is played (Gotta be 20 RBs alone who'd be worth more than any WR), and most league consist of 8-12 teams would you really take Art Monk is the first round? Cause if you would, then yes I'll join your league, hell we can push it to $500.

wasn't a knock on him, but if you knew what you were talking about, you would know that WR isn't a premium position in the NFL. Successful teams don't build around a WR. The Vikings tried to build around Moss, and it had bad results, teams like the 49ers that had Rice built around the QB.

Someone said something nice about Monk and you had to be sure and jump in and qualify the statement for us. Yes, that's a knock on Monk.

Trust me, we know a LOT more about Monk than you do. We know how valuble he was to the team. We know how central and critical he was to winning three superbowls.

Comparing Monk to Randy Moss is laughable. One guy is famous for being the ultimate team player, the other is famous to tearing teams apart. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. The sad thing is, thanks to your type of thinking, Moss and his pretty numbers will probably be a shoo-in for the HOF, while the guy with three rings and a quiet voice sits on the sideline and waits.

Archived