Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lewis Admits He Lied

bulldog

"Lewis spent most of Tuesday in Cincinnati, a day after the Redskins granted the Bengals' request to interview him, and the meeting first was reported by CNNSI.com yesterday. Lewis told The Washington Post on Wednesday that he had spoken only briefly with Brown and no interview had been scheduled. He said yesterday that he lied about the meeting because the Bengals had asked him to keep the interview secret.

"It was important for them that no one know, and now everyone knows," Lewis said. "It's unfortunate."

Marvin is so out of here it isn't even funny.

This guy would jump on a log raft to navigate the Pacific as long as they were willing to name him the captain :laugh:

And, even if all the other vessels around him were cruise ships :D

then I don't want him coming back here simply because he needs the money :)

he has been particularly ungracious in his comments about Washington and this team in 2002 and I think we need to move o with a DC that has less emotional baggage left over from situations WE had no part in creating (ie the Tampa Bay fiasco last year).

Lewis is now embittered and somewhat hostile because of that experience and not getting a head job is eating away at him.

While I may feel sorry for him from the outside looking in as an NFL fan, as a Redskins fan I want no part of that kind of negativity.

Originally posted by bulldog

"Lewis spent most of Tuesday in Cincinnati, a day after the Redskins granted the Bengals' request to interview him, and the meeting first was reported by CNNSI.com yesterday. Lewis told The Washington Post on Wednesday that he had spoken only briefly with Brown and no interview had been scheduled. He said yesterday that he lied about the meeting because the Bengals had asked him to keep the interview secret.

"It was important for them that no one know, and now everyone knows," Lewis said. "It's unfortunate."

First of all, I don't see any reason why the Bengals would want to make the interview secret. They've already fired their coach. A lot of teams like to announce who they are interviewing, because it allows public comment prior to the team decision -- avoiding unpleasant surprises later. In any case, the Bengals would be compelled to disclose the Lewis interview to satisfy the new "minority interview" requirement, unless another minority interview is planned (and I've heard of none).

Second, even if they did ask for Lewis to keep it secret, he didn't have to lie. The "unavailable for comment" and "no comment" options are time-honored. Why he felt compelled to construct an elaborate lie to both the Post and the Times is truly bizarre, and shows his loyalties are still not with the Redskins -- who depend upon their good standing with these papers.

Which is why he is taking anger management classes right? I agree bulldog, let's be done with the egotistical stubborn classless act. George Edwards will be our DC for as long as Spurrier is coaching, and that just might be a formidable tandem.

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

In any case, the Bengals would be compelled to disclose the Lewis interview to satisfy the new "minority interview" requirement, unless another minority interview is planned (and I've heard of none).

There were two other minority coordinators being interviewed, or Brown had interest in that I heard of. I can't remember their names, but I do remember one was a DC and the other was an OC. I'll post here aganist once I find the names.

Never paid much attention to Lewis until he became a Redskin but from what little I have seen of him it seems a cloud of controversy clings to him like hair on a bear. Better for him to leave now before things get out of hand and he becomes an even bigger distraction than he already is.

I had a long, long response...but canx'd at the last minute. it aint worth it. ML is a winner. that's all that matters. the rest is atmospherics.

is Parcells egotistical...yes

has Parcells dissembled things from the Press....yes

has Parcells berated players publicly....yes

would we want him....YES....because he is a winner.....

I gotta agree with fansince62 on this one. We all knew Lewis wasn't going to be around long when he was hired. We all knew he wanted to be a HC. Now that that reality is upon us we get all huffy? What's the point?

This is a whole lot of nuthin. If he stays he stays. If he goes he goes and we'll promote Edwards. Either way we'll have some contiuity to help build on our top five defense.

Originally posted by Henry

I gotta agree with fansince62 on this one. We all knew Lewis wasn't going to be around long when he was hired. We all knew he wanted to be a HC. Now that that reality is upon us we get all huffy? What's the point?

This is a whole lot of nuthin. If he stays he stays. If he goes he goes and we'll promote Edwards. Either way we'll have some contiuity to help build on our top five defense.

that is the smartest thing written yet about this situation

I'm siding with bulldog on this one. Even ignoring Lewis' handling of media matters such as this one, the strong impression he leaves is that he's merely biding time with us until something better comes along. He has no stake in our team.

This means that we gain nothing by keeping him other than having a respectable D-coordinator around for more than one year. While stability in and of itself - especially on our team - is or can be a virtue, I don't think it's an end all. And Edwards would provide that stability by maintaining the same system for once.

Edwards would also have a great stake in the success of the defense were he promoted to coordinator. Young, unproven guys are hungry to prove themselves. One wouldn't get the impression from him that he thought he was too good for us and was doing us a favor by gracing us with his presence.

Originally posted by Henry

I think you're missing the point, Henry. I actually assumed he would interview with the Bengals, and don't mind that he did. He just managed to take a non-controversial situation and make it controversial by lying about it.

Previously he interviewed with MSU during the season, which I did have a big problem with. And he's constantly leaking his gripes -- past and present, about the Bucs and the Redskins -- to the media. The guy reeks with disdain for the Redskins and nurses perceived personal insults like capital crimes.

Sure, the guy's a good DC. But when half this forum can see that he's misusing LaVar and Champ, he's obviously not a genius. (Yes, he eventually moved Champ to cover the #1 WR, but it took more than half the season to do so.)

So yes, Lewis is not a liability as a coach. But excuse us for not panicking if Lewis hits the road. I for one would be pleased to have the Redskins organization composed of players and coaches who were delighted to be Redskins.

Lewis wanted to be a HC one year ago just as much as he wants to be a HC now... who cares?

we all knew this... why are we getting so mad? let him interview... the MSU interview a few weeks ago was stupid, yes, but it's over with... you would be ignorant to question where his priorities lie during the season...

the man gets paid to coach the defense... and that's what he did... did you see improvement? of course we did... why? because he coached them... he made them better players...

he did his job and if it's time for him to move on, well move on... if he stays, all the better... whatever happens, happens... nothing you can type on this board will change that, except maybe the less you type, the better health you'd have...

too many people hate ML for reasons that are beyond me...

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

So yes, Lewis is not a liability as a coach. But excuse us for not panicking if Lewis hits the road. I for one would be pleased to have the Redskins organization composed of players and coaches who were delighted to be Redskins.

I agree that we should only have coaches/players that understand & admire Redskin tradition & pride. However, Henry gets to the core of the issue by reminding us that we knew Lewis would be gone in one year, and we know he's still bitter about what happened with the Bucs. So why are we preoccupied with ML? He was our DC for one year, and thats it. Cant we be reasonable Skins fans, and think outside the box. He has a career of his own, he's been screwed plenty of times by the League & its owners. This latest issue, isn't really that big of a deal.

We were his 'layover' stop, en route to a Head Coaching job. His recent actions really haven't disturbed me. Why are we making such a big fuss of his departure, when we knew of his plans ahead of time.

I'm quite sure that Lewis has not lied to anyone within the organization either (a) initially, about his strong desire to be a head coach as soon as possible, or (B) his plans to interview with the Bengals at present (for which the Bengals had to get permission first). Just because the fans want someone who strongly prefers to be a DC for his career rather than a head coach doesn't make the guy a bad guy or a guy that we should get rid of. As long as he has been straightforward to team officials (and Snyder's and SOS's comments make it clear that he has and that they are fully supporting him in his efforts to get a head coach spot), I think it would be ridiculous to try to get rid of him or to suggest that we are better off if he is gone.

I like him. I like that he called it like he saw it, didn't cut older veterans any slack (except that he didn't try to teach them fundamentals -- still Marty's biggest mistake IMO). He expects everyone to adopt a team-first attitude, he expects everyone to subort their own egos for the sake of a proven scheme (which ultimately worked for us to once people got with the program -- at least it worked as well as it could without DE's that could defend against the run or get consistent pressure on the QB's), and he puts pressure on everyone to elevate their expectations. How is any of that a bad thing? Just because Vinny & Co. overdid the linebacking corp. and underdid the DE's and safeties doesn't diminish ML's job this year. Can the Defense improve next year? Absolutely, and I hope/expect them to do so with another year in ML's system and with some better pash rush/run defense. But even if it just remains at this year's level, I'll take ML back in a heartbeat. He has been unfairly pilloried for front office problems and/or for problems inherent with any new def.coordintor.

what do I like best about ML? well...at every home game I attended, and from what I could see on TV, he was always coaching, always thinking. up to the last he was strategizing: sometimes he guessed wrong...but that's the nature of the game. he was always with the defensive players when they went to the bench reviewing photographs, going over strategy.......when the defense was on the field he was always at the closest point of approach....intently animated and directing his defense......the man was engaged 110% of the time - say what you like, but there is no doubt in my mind he gave it everything he had during a game....

I also watched HBC/offensive coordinator SOS.....who rarely went to the bench when the offense was off the field.......who was doing the most coaching? and remember, SOS turned the defense over to ML and wasn't, by confession, engaged with the defense very much this past season......

Spurrier can't turn his back on the field. As a head coach he can't ignore what the defense is doing and simply turn around. However, that being said, he did make sure to speak with his QB's as much as possible.

That being said I think your point reiterates the fact that steve needed to promote a real OC. I'm glad he made the right decision.

As for ML, as a specialized coach he better be talking to the players when his unit isn't out on the field. I'd expect that at a minimum.

-DB

look, the Redskins are a 3 yards per game better defense then they were a year ago. The guy that coordinated THAT defense just suffered through a horrendous year in Detroit.

Why? He lacked talent :)

The reason Parcells wins is because he gets talent and mixes it together well.

Marvin Lewis came to Washington and inherited a defense ranked #10 and improved it to the degree we were, as I said, 3 yards per game better....................

One can also say that he did it with some additional talent :)

Daryl Gardener for Kenard Lang was a nice swap.

Jeremiah Trotter and Jessie Armstead brought veteran experience and sterling resumes at LB.

Renaldo Wynn was certainly a better run defender than Marco Coleman was in 2001.

And we had Fred Smoot at age 23 coming back to improve, supposedly, on a fine rookie campaign where he started most of the games.

So, in my mind, A LOT of defensive minds from Ray Rhodes to John Fox to Bill Bellichick to Jeff Fisher, etc.....could have come in here and posted darn respectable numbers........... :)

That said, my objection to Lewis, as stated earlier, is more a matter of his own feelings in being here and how he represents the organization.

He gives the impression, beyond his wanting to be a head coach, of being a guy that is off by himself and away from Spurrier and the front office.

He isn't a promoter of the program at all, and gives every indication of being someone that would rather be elsewhere.

I don't particularly like seeing Redskins coaches on TV and having a sourpuss like Lewis going through the motions, looking uninterested and bored with the team and its prospects.

You guys are talking about Parcells.

See him at the news conference yesterday?

Upbeat. Positive. Supports the program. Already considers himself part of that organization and representing its interests.

I wouldn't mind Lewis' desire to go off and become a Head Coach as much if he had EVER evinced even an ounce of that kind of energy and enthusiasm for coming here and getting the best paycheck he has ever gotten in the National Football League :)

Originally posted by bulldog

I commented earlier in this post that I found it hard to believe that the Bengals asked Lewis to keep the interview secret.

Now I read:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20459&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=1

NFL.com wire reports

CINCINNATI (Jan. 2, 2003) -- Washington defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis has interviewed for the head coaching job with the Cincinnati Bengals, who also plan to talk to Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey over the weekend.

The club confirmed on its Web site that Lewis met with owner Mike Brown and other family members in Cincinnati. He was the first outside candidate interviewed for the job.

So, let me get this straight, Marvin: the Bengals asked you to keep the interview secret (for a yet-unexplained reason), and then posted news about the interview on their Web site?

Call me crazy, but it sure sounds like one Marvin Lewis lie is being explained away with another lie.

Now this is some senseless bickering.

Since we are not in the know of what exactly is going on, I would say that the media does not provide anywhere near enough information for you guys to go bashing Lewis.

But then again, I don't expect anything better from Lewis haters.

Now, more then ever, I would love for Lewis to come back just to torment those pitiful souls.

Im in agreement with Bulldow here.

Its not like Marv had a 30th ranked defense with no talent and led it to a top 5 ranking.

Imagine how much higher we would be ranked if we didnt play prevent or sone as much as we did.

If he leaves he leaves then we can promote a humble guy from within who should be here for atleast 3 to 4 years

Archived