Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lewis Admits He Lied

bulldog

I'm quite sure that Lewis has not lied to anyone within the organization either (a) initially, about his strong desire to be a head coach as soon as possible, or (B) his plans to interview with the Bengals at present (for which the Bengals had to get permission first). Just because the fans want someone who strongly prefers to be a DC for his career rather than a head coach doesn't make the guy a bad guy or a guy that we should get rid of. As long as he has been straightforward to team officials (and Snyder's and SOS's comments make it clear that he has and that they are fully supporting him in his efforts to get a head coach spot), I think it would be ridiculous to try to get rid of him or to suggest that we are better off if he is gone.

I like him. I like that he called it like he saw it, didn't cut older veterans any slack (except that he didn't try to teach them fundamentals -- still Marty's biggest mistake IMO). He expects everyone to adopt a team-first attitude, he expects everyone to subort their own egos for the sake of a proven scheme (which ultimately worked for us to once people got with the program -- at least it worked as well as it could without DE's that could defend against the run or get consistent pressure on the QB's), and he puts pressure on everyone to elevate their expectations. How is any of that a bad thing? Just because Vinny & Co. overdid the linebacking corp. and underdid the DE's and safeties doesn't diminish ML's job this year. Can the Defense improve next year? Absolutely, and I hope/expect them to do so with another year in ML's system and with some better pash rush/run defense. But even if it just remains at this year's level, I'll take ML back in a heartbeat. He has been unfairly pilloried for front office problems and/or for problems inherent with any new def.coordintor.

What he said.

Also Im not sure I want to settle for some guy who is content being a DC for years. I think it makes a team inherently better if its DC is of such caliber that he is wanted and sought after by others.

We knew he was coming for possibly just one year. We'll be happy if he comes back, and we should be happy if he gets the promotion he so desires.

Like him or hate him, he was the architect of one of the top three defenses ever. He deserves a head coaching job and he has always been upfront about that. Its not like he promised he'd be here for five years and is now jumping ship.

I'm about sick of hearing 'We all knew he was only coming here...' statements. So the h&ll what! I didn't hire him. But the point is he ACCEPTED the job. No one held a gun to his head and forced him to leave Baltimore. And for the money he is being paid, he could try to act like he's not doing the Skins the biggest favor of his life in hanging with us until his dream job becomes available. I don't begrudge him wanting his chance to shine as a head coach. If he'd shown an ounce of enthusiasm or love for the Redskins I'd be right up there with others hoping he got his big chance. But he hasn't shown those qualities. I don't like his 'me, me, me' ungrateful attitude, and I don't like his arrogant attitude. And if you like the man, to each his own.

I think some here are:

1. Underestimating the talent we had to work with on D in 2002.

2. Overestimating the impact that Lewis had in 2002 vis a vis what the defense achieved with lesser talent in 2001.

3. Overestimating the dropoff that would occur if Lewis were to leave and another DC was hired either from within or from another NFL team.

4. Underestimating how badly ML wants to get off this cloud, ie the Redskins. This man has looked nothing but unhappy since he took that first press conference after he was hired. He seemed grateful to the organization for about 30 minutes and then has been in a sourpuss spin the last 10 months. Nothing has been to his liking, the guy never smiles or engages anyone here. He is like a political exile that is waiting in a foreign country for his chance to return home and assume a position of importance in a new government :)

I agree with Yomar. I want to see an aggressive attacking style "D". Not only would I rather watch that style of play I feel our present talent is better suited for that style of play.

In regards to Lewis we all knew this was going to happen. I don't understand the anger. We don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here, just let it go.

I just want to know if we recieve any compensation for him when he leaves?

if Lewis moves on to be a head coach, fine. if he decides to stay here and work hard for us because he doesn't like the alternative choices, fine.

what I don't want to see is a guy come back here strictly because he has to pay his mortgage and send his kids to college.

Lewis in my mind to return has to show some genuine interest in THIS team getting to the postseason and ultimately beyond that.

otherwise we are just babysitting and that isn't going to get us anywhere.

Archived