Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about Sean Taylor?

Taurus82

Everyone seems to be wanting Cooley back next year but what about Sean Taylor. Do you guys think we'll make him the highest paid safety or close to it to bring him back? I hope so myself, personally he's my favorite player. Him and Fletcher are gonna be tackling machines.

Taylor is signed through 2010. If he is not back next year or the year after or the year after' date=' it is because we traded him.

I don't understand why this "Sign Sean Taylor" Debate continues to rage. At this point, Ethan Albright should be a higher priority than Sean Taylor in terms of next year.[/quote']Actually, he's only signed through 2009 because the last year of his contract is voidable.

I think we should consider locking him up in the next year so we don't go through another Dock situation where we lose him because we procrastinated

Dockery is to Taylor as bronze is to a diamond. We're not letting Taylor go. He's not going anywhere. Neither is Cooley. They'll both be buried at FedEx for Christ's sake.

Calm down, people.

Taylor is signed through 2010. If he is not back next year or the year after or the year after' date=' it is because we traded him.

I don't understand why this "Sign Sean Taylor" Debate continues to rage. At this point, Ethan Albright should be a higher priority than Sean Taylor in terms of next year.[/quote']

It's all these chicken-little mancrushes that are hard to understand eh, LKB? I don't get it either. Cooley is priority along with Albright. Just a lack of knowledge I guess.

Assuming Sean has another good year in 2007, the Skins should start discussing an extension with him to finish his career in Washington. There's something to be said for rewarding the players on your team who deserve it -- other players on the team and players around the league will notice it. In addition, the Skins will probably get him extended for a better price if they do it early instead of waiting until he's about to be a FA and can smell the $$$$ from other teams around the league.

Also, just because he's locked through 2009 doesn't mean we couldn't experience a Deon Branch/Antonio Gates/Asante Samuel type situation.

Dockery is to Taylor as bronze is to a diamond. We're not letting Taylor go. He's not going anywhere. Neither is Cooley. They'll both be buried at FedEx for Christ's sake.

Calm down, people.

I agree that Dockery was an EASY decision.

Taylor is interesting....we have Landry, who is so far performing at animalistic levels.

I think if our offense is bad, it will be good for us that Taylor has not re-signed with us yet. His contract right now is super-cap friendly, and his trade value is skyscraper high. We could plug every hole at offense (guard, possession WR, real number 2 WR) and probably pick up a draft pick too.

I am NOT suggesting we should be looking to trade our best defensive player. When we did that with Bailey, we got the short end of that stick.

I AM suggesting that we be open to offers from teams who are sick of getting decimated by the deep ball. Who here wouldn't at least listen to possible terms of a Sean Taylor for Chad Johnson trade, or something of the like?

Before you flame me for this, think about it. Do you really think we will have the Number One and Number Two highest paid safeties in the league, especially when we have multiple need positions on offense?

Again - I hope Sean Taylor retires a Redskin. I hope the combo of Taylor/Landry goes down in history as the Iron Curtain of pro football.

If that can't happen, I hope we get maximum value from Taylor, and the only way that happens is under his current contract.

Let's just say the Skins want to keep ST no matter what. In 2010, they could franchise him for the average of the top 5 salaries at that position. Maybe a good deal. The full amount counts against the cap that year. The next year, he gets a minimum 20% raise. Same thing the next year. Franchising a player ends up being very costly.

Right now, the Skins have leverage. ST makes about $2M for the duration of his contract. For the next three years, he's underpaid by $4-5M/yr, so lets just say he'll be underpaid by $14M to get a taste of that FA money. You use that in negotiations to get a cap-friendly long term contract now.

Do you really want to carry two long-snappers on the roster? Why not two kickers too?

We can get by with 4 linebackers.

I just wanted to know if Albright was getting long in the tooth. Geez

Why not get a Kicker to punt and kick too? Save some roster space for another LB then?:doh:

Anyways, how old is albright? How many years does everyone think he has left?

and which LB should we cut so LKB can get his second kicker?

I just wanted to know if Albright was getting long in the tooth. Geez

Why not get a Kicker to punt and kick too? Save some roster space for another LB then?:doh:

Anyways, how old is albright? How many years does everyone think he has left? and which LB should we cut so LKB can get his second kicker?

I remember the guy Dallas used to use for years (Hellestrae?) was in his early 40's when he finally gave out of gas and the guy KC used to use at least made it to 40. Assuming Albright stays healthy, I predict we can milk 3-4 more years from him. I mean, really, the guy doesn't take much of a beating so his body ought to stay as fresh as any kicker or backup QB ought to (and they usually are the oldest guys in the league).

Archived