Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Esq: Greetings from Idiot America

chomerics

Considering how profoundly wrong science has been proven in the past........

Glad you're sitting their in your air-conditioned house.... heating up a pizza pocket in the microwave.... using your cable connection to write your opinions on the computer... of which you'll drive your car to work later.

If you didn't believe in answers and benefits the science provides.... you'd be living in a hut... living off the earth... riding horses.

You just want it both ways..... because it's convenient for you.

Writers for Esquire Magazine for sure....and a few ES posters to boot.

But tell me how many anti-religious articles from the scientific community I could find on google.com if I tried?

Probably about the same amount as anti-science articles from the religious community. ;)

I've always found it a little hypocritical when people of faith.... use modern medicine and technology (ie. science) to prevent illness and extend life.

If it's God's plan for you to go.... then you don't get the benefit of science to prolong your life.

Heck, if it wasn't for science.... what would the mortality rate be right now?

And I find it hypocritical for science to ignor the fact that they are not singularly responsible for drug addiction via the "modern technology".

Heck if it wasn't for science....what need would we have for fighting religious nuts trying to plant a nuclear weapon on our soil?

And I find it hypocritical for science to ignor the fact that they are not singularly responsible for drug addiction via the "modern technology".

Heck if it wasn't for science....what need would we have for fighting religious nuts trying to plant a nuclear weapon on our soil?

Are you seriously suggesting there was no drug addiction before 'modern technology'? Don't know when you consider modern technology to have begun, but opium has been around a LONG time.

To me, what is most compelling about the article is not religion vs. non-religion. That debate is old and tired and leads nowhere, and the author was an idiot to get caught up in it and mix it in so much to his main point.

The interesting thing is the overt hostility of much of America to the "elitist egghead-types" and how that hostility is manipulated by political elites. How many times on this board have you seen people go on the attack against those arrogant elitists who think they know everything blah blah blah as though this hostility alone makes the opinion of those elites somehow invalid.

To some people it seems like the words "All men are created equal" means that "my opinion on how to build a suspension bridge is equal to yours even though you are a structural engineer and I work at a pet food store - you arrogant elitist!"

God forbid you should ever point this out. Joe Sixpack will go ballistic on you, and there are millions and millions of Joe Sixpacks out there voting in every election. In the last quarter century, the Republicans have created a science out of manipulating this resentment, and have achieved tremendous electoral success.

Writers for Esquire Magazine for sure....and a few ES posters to boot.

Oh there's a lot of arrogance on ES. Covers all manner of topics, from science to religion to football to politics to what type of grill you use ... I really hope you aren't picking out one element of that and holding it up as proof that 'Science' is arrogant.

But tell me how many anti-religious articles from the scientific community I could find on google.com if I tried?

Why don't you try and then maybe you'll have some basis for your claim instead of just rhetoric.

Just remember. All Science can EVER DO is reveal that which has been created. End of discussion.

You were supposed to say " 'Nuff said! "

Isn't that the traditional thing to say on message boards when you try to simplify down a complicated discussion?

How many times on this board have you seen people go on the attack against those arrogant elitists who think they know everything blah blah blah as though this hostility alone makes the opinion of those elites somehow invalid.

In this thread, at least once. :)

To me, what is most compelling about the article is not religion vs. non-religion. That debate is old and tired and leads nowhere, and the author was an idiot to get caught up in it and mix it in so much to his main point.

The interesting thing is the overt hostility of much of America to the "elitist egghead-types" and how that hostility is manipulated by political elites. How many times on this board have you seen people go on the attack against those arrogant elitists who think they know everything blah blah blah as though this hostility alone makes the opinion of those elites somehow invalid.

To some people it seems like the words "All men are created equal" means that "my opinion on how to build a suspension bridge is equal to yours even though you are a structural engineer and I work at a pet food store - you arrogant elitist!"

God forbid you should ever point this out. Joe Sixpack will go ballistic on you, and there are millions and millions of Joe Sixpacks out there voting in every election. In the last quarter century, the Republicans have created a science out of manipulating this resentment, and have achieved tremendous electoral success.

....thus we must remove the milions of Joe Sixpacks that are holding up progress for the priveledged elite.

STFU Hitler. This country is not yours alone. Everyone has a right in this country to their opinions and Religion. Even you elitist lunatics running around in San Fransisco.

....thus we must remove the milions of Joe Sixpacks that are holding up progress for the priveledged elite.

STFU Hitler. This country is not yours alone. Everyone has a right in this country to their opinions and Religion. Even you elitist lunatics running around in San Fransisco.

Thank you. I love it when someone proves my point within the first few posts :D

I got Hitlerized! :applause:

Really. Have flying space cars been invented yet? Or does God already have the patent? :laugh:

This one is easy:

no, but everything you use to make it is from him.

and your just copying one of his creations...

and using the imagination he gave you.

So congradulations: In 6001 years we went from naked apple eaters to space flyers.

Are you seriously suggesting there was no drug addiction before 'modern technology'? Don't know when you consider modern technology to have begun, but opium has been around a LONG time.

Opium is mildly addictive at best when smoked or injested in its non refined state. HEROIN on the other hand as well as papaverine and codeine were not refined from the plant until the mid to late 1800s. Being pure alkaloids, these are the addictive properties of the plant that cause the greatest cases of addiction.

Better living through chemistry.

The same country that was the first to use science to create it. Thank the lucky stars GOD is on our side. Who knows where we would be if GOD preferred Japan.

Oh goody, I love the chance to post Dylan lyrics. The whole song is great, but I want you to pay close attention to the last two lines:

So now as I'm leavin'

I'm weary as Hell

The confusion I'm feelin'

Ain't no tongue can tell

The words fill my head

And fall to the floor

If God's on our side

He'll stop the next war.

Really. Have flying space cars been invented yet? Or does God already have the patent? :laugh:

I was wondering.......what does a aluminum toy have to do with your existence on this planet.

Human accomplishment (IE you flying car) of which we have had many (ie the wheel) is a far cry from the discussion of Religion and our existence. Maybe Science should remain where they are useful.....making toys.

Opium is mildly addictive at best when smoked or injested in its non refined state. HEROIN on the other hand as well as papaverine and codeine were not refined from the plant until the mid to late 1800s. Being pure alkaloids, these are the addictive properties of the plant that cause the greatest cases of addiction.

Better living through chemistry.

mildly addictive = addictive

Not too mention the pyschological addiction that is hard to prove/disprove.

Just remember. All Science can EVER DO is reveal that which has been created. End of discussion.

It only ends if you accept the absurd notion that everything was "created" by a "creator".

I don't, so it's not the end of my discussion, and thankfully not the end of the quest for truth and real answers instead of simply accepting the antiquated fables and buying the bedtime stories about all powerful ghosts in the sky.

Since you do accept this, it's easy for you to end your discussion.

~Bang

By the way, you totally missed the point of my post (what a surprise).

The point is that I, Predicto, do not know how to build a suspension bridge and You, Portisizzle, don't know how to build a suspension bridge either.

But I know my limitations and am willing to listen to the structural engineers, while you hate and resent the structural engineers for being over-educated elitist eggheads, and put your fingers in your ears and say "nay nya nya."

Archived