Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HD Cables worth it?

FunBunch7

Okay, so I finally have the HD reciever and satellite dish to watch my beloved Redskins in HD all season. I had the DIRECTV guy come out and install it a few weeks ago.

The guy at Best Buy said I should invest in the HD cables they sell...the prices range from $60 on up to $150...he said I will see a marked improvement in picture quality.

The picture is already unbelieveable and I can't imagine it getting any better.

Have any of you invested in the store-bought cables? Did it make a difference? Thanks in advance.

i just got a new tv for my apartment pretty nice stuff! I have a 60" back home and we had hd the games are awesome. only thing i have noticed though is that in HD sometimes there seems to be video errors, unlike regular tv

you can see individual blades of grass

sweat flying off some dudes head after getn knocked out

i <3 HD Discovery. Some cool stuff my gf says im a nerd for watching it but whatever. eh and check out a DVD called BARAKA . watch that after some tasty psychadeli really puts you in there. Labyrinth is a good one as well.

No.

Don't buy cables from any major retailer...

You will pay more money than what is necessary. You will get ripped off.

Good cables are necessary, but they should not be so damn expensive (as you quoted). All the cables carry the same information and rarely will you see any noticeable difference from, say, RadioShack's house brand to something premium like Monster cables(absolutely stay away from those). Cables don't really vary in technology. Their performances are usually equal.

Sure, if I had the money, I'd waste some bucks and go all out, because thats what the A/V and hi-fi geek in me would like, but the fact is, its simply not needed. Key word here is waste.

Someone posted a website before that sells cables that did the job well for a good price... I can't recall it, but hopefully someone remembers and brings it back up.

I am not sure, but if they are anything like audio cables than I would say no. I was told to buy Monster cables at $120 and didn't hear any marked difference from just really good cables that were cheaper.

My fath-in-law bought the over $100 HD cables and we had to buy new ones due to some troubles and hooked up the HD with what came with the TV and I didn't see a difference.

I've been told by audiophiles that there is a difference, but the untrained eyes of the average joe really can't tell the difference. I would save money, go with some good middle of the road HD cables and enjoy the Redskins this season!

I bought the Monster Cable audio and video cables and for my HDTV I bought 2 weeks ago and love them. It is funny because when I switch from standard def shows to HD shows the sound quality is insanely better and clearer. The picture quality, well, thats a no brainer!

I only buy monster cable though, so to each their own.

Plenty of people who have bought expensive cables, along with plenty of people who stand to make a living off of selling you expensive cables, will tell you that these cables can make a huge difference.

Plenty of audio engineers, on the other hand, are on record as saying that expensive cables are essentially a scam, and that perceived differences between cables are almost entirely due to the placebo effect, and never stand up to a double-blind testing protocol.

So unless you're able to do a bit of double-blind testing yourself (with level-matching of +/- .1 db), it comes down to who you want to believe. :2cents:

No.

Don't buy cables from any major retailer...

You will pay more money than what is necessary. You will get ripped off.

Good cables are necessary, but they should not be so damn expensive (as you quoted). All the cables carry the same information and rarely will you see any noticeable difference from, say, RadioShack's house brand to something premium like Monster cables(absolutely stay away from those). Cables don't really vary in technology. Their performances are usually equal.

Sure, if I had the money, I'd waste some bucks and go all out, because thats what the A/V and hi-fi geek in me would like, but the fact is, its simply not needed. Key word here is waste.

Someone posted a website before that sells cables that did the job well for a good price... I can't recall it, but hopefully someone remembers and brings it back up.

Listen to this man, he is exactly right. As for Reic, he just doesn't know better :D

I bought the Monster Cable audio and video cables and for my HDTV I bought 2 weeks ago and love them. It is funny because when I switch from standard def shows to HD shows the sound quality is insanely better and clearer. The picture quality, well, thats a no brainer!

I only buy monster cable though, so to each their own.

Monster cables are THE BEST

have em on my 60"

Monster cables are THE BEST

have em on my 60"

Only when you don't know better, and you put all your trust into marketing :laugh:

Monster bought their reputation, ALL CABLES ARE THE SAME.

Kinda like how Dr Pepper is the ****, but everyone asks for Coke because they spend tons of money on ads?

As the other well informed folk here have already stated, Monster cables are expensive because of the insane advertising they do. I actually got into an argument with a Best Buy employee trying to push monster cables on me. He finally admitted that yes it doesn't make any difference having a $120 monster cable and a $10 www.monoprice.com cable if the wire is LESS then 100ft :laugh: It is true, that over 100ft you will see less image degradation in the monsters but thats it. Otherwise they are the same. Check out www.avsforum.com for more information about this.

monoprice.com

I know there are other cable places that are cheap, but I had a good dealing with them.

Check this out from Gizmodo, basically a shootout between Monster and monoprice (again, I know there are other places to get cheap cables, I've dealt with monoprice). Conclusion is that cheap cables are fine for shorter (what I'd say 95%) of cable runs are.

Sorry to those who bought monster before... buy online and wait...

Only when you don't know better, and you put all your trust into marketing :laugh:

Kinda like how Dr Pepper is the ****, but everyone asks for Coke because they spend tons of money on ads?

trust me, withing the next year dr pepper will be owned by coca cola...hell, thye just bought vitamin water and it will be under the coke name within 2 months

Go to Ebay - type in HDMI cable and buy the cheapest set.

I spent $60 on my first cables and then spent $8 on another set and there is no difference at all.

the best thing about HDMI is that it sends in the picture and audio signals - frees up some outputs on your receiver for surround sound or dvd.

Only if 7-up and pepsi sell their holds of it, which will never happen.

dr pepper is owned by a company called cadbury schweppes..... coa cola is in the final negotiations to purchase them, and they will also own the rights to distribute yoo-hoo, sunny D, schwepes ginger ale, birch beer, a&w root beer etc... all of which are distributed by canada dry right now....canada dry is in the process of being bought by pepsi.......almost every else in the united states outside of the atlantic botteling region, coca cola distributes dr pepper

http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/EN

I have compared. so I didnt put my trust into marketing :laugh:

Nice assumption chump

Archived