Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Live from the last open training camp of the year

E-Dog Night

campbell just threw a perfect bomb to randel el. carlos rogers was beaten so badly that it's hard to describe. the good news is that jc is sharp as can be. smoot, wearing bright gold knee socks, is playing with the 1st team.

ugh. jc just threw a terrible pass. would have been picked if vernon fox could have held on. then he came back with a td to moss. his bad throw was a touch pass. his rope throws are always on the money.

todd wade is holding his own on pass blocking.

here...this might help you with the numbers

0 Manupuna, Vaka DT        35 Butler, Jerametrius CB   72 Whitley, Taylor OL 
3 Palmer, Jordan QB        36 Broughton, Nehemiah FB   73 Boschetti, Ryan DT 
4 Frost, Derrick P         37 Doughty, Reed S          74 Heyer, Stephon OL 
6 Suisham, Shaun K         38 Macklin, David CB        75 Armstrong, Calvin T 
8 Brunell, Mark QB         39 Fox, Vernon S            75 Hickman, Justin DE 
10 Brown, Kyle WR          40 Schmitt, Pete FB         76 Jansen, Jon T
11 Espy, Mike WR           41 Bell, Brian TE           77 Thomas, Randy G
12 Harris, Steven WR       45 Sellers, Mike FB         77 Wilson, Chris DE
14 Nordin, Jake TE         46 Betts, Ladell RB         78 Lefotu, Kili OL
15 Collins, Todd QB        47 Cooley, Chris TE         79 Alexander, Lorenzo DT
16 McAddley, Jason WR      48 Blaylock, Derrick RB     80 Berman, Carl WR
17 Campbell, Jason QB      50 Campbell, Khary LB       82 Randle El, Antwaan WR
18 Hoag, Ryan WR           52 McIntosh, Rocky LB       83 Thrash, James WR
19 Bradford, Corey WR      53 Washington, Marcus LB    84 Edwards, Eric TE
20 Prioleau, Pierson S     54 Blades, H.B. LB          85 Lloyd, Brandon WR
21 Taylor, Sean S          55 Sartz, Dallas LB         86 Toler, Burl WR
22 Rogers, Carlos CB       56 Jones, Kevin LB          87 Yoder, Todd TE
23 Mason, Marcus RB        58 Sinclair, Matt LB        88 Ecker, Tyler TE
23 Stoutmire, Omar S       59 Fletcher, London LB      89 Moss, Santana WR
24 Springs, Shawn CB       59 Trucks, Anthony LB       90 Buzbee, Alex DE
25 Eubanks, John CB        60 Samuels, Chris T         91 Green, Jamaal DE
26 Portis, Clinton RB      61 Rabach, Casey C          92 Evans, Demetric DE
27 Smoot, Fred CB          62 Pucillo, Mike OL         93 Daniels, Phillip DE
29 Brown, Dee   RB         64 Golston, Kedric DT       94 Montgomery, Anthony DT
29 Torrence, Leigh CB      67 Albright, Ethan LS       95 Salave'a, Joe DT
30 Landry, LaRon S         68 Tucker, Ross OL          96 Griffin, Cornelius DT
31 Cartwright, Rock RB     69 Fabini, Jason OL         97 Wynn, Renaldo DE
32 Jimoh, Ade CB           71 Shaw, Bryant DE          98 Marshall, Lemar LB
34 Westbrook, Byron CB     71 Wade, Todd OL            99 Carter, Andre DE

Well I just got back. Now I can type on a normal keyboard.

The first thing that sticks out in my mind is that, overall, it wasn't too tough a practice. There was very little hitting and everything seemed to be...I dunno...not lacksidasical exactly, but it certainly wasn't the most spirited practice I've ever seen. It did lend credence to the whispers that Gibbs is running a soft camp. But Bill Walsh always ran a soft camp, so who knows if a team needs a ton of hitting in practice. Certainly, nobody got hit with any force today.

The good: Jason Campbell was mostly impressive. He does have a bit of a touch problem and tends to under throw his receivers when he tries to lob it over the defenders heads. But on every other type of throw, the ball was right where it needed to be - not just catchable but in the precise location to make it easy for the receiver to make the catch and get YAC.

Todd Wade isn't going to blow anybody off he ball in the running game but he isn't going to give up too many sacks either. I feel good about Campbell's blind side protection this season. Based on today's performance, I would guess that the running game will feature more counters and such plays where Wade will be moving, rather than straight ahead, move your man off the spot type of plays. That would have been easy to guess considering Wade's history at tackle, but this practice confirmed it, at least for now. I don't see that changing this year. It isn't as if Wade is going to turn into Joe Jacoby anytime soon.

Watching Cooley makes me wonder why the FO hasn't locked him down to a contract extension. If he has the type of year that he looks like he'll have, then it will cost much more to sign him 9 months from now. Not sure what's going on there. Good news is that he's is primed for a monster year. I actually got a chance to "chat" with him for about 5 seconds after practice. He came right up to me and we exchanged a few brief words. He's very personable and approachable.

Santana Moss was Santana Moss. Quiet...then boom! Huge play out of nowhere. Randle El had that one very nice route where he dusted Carlos. Those are our guys in the deep passing game. Which brings us to...

The bad: Someone asked me if Campbell's pass to Lloyd was catchable. Well, it hit him in the hands. If the pass hadn't bounced off Lloyd's hands like a foul ball off a backstop, it would have missed skimming the top of his helmet by a few inches. So yeah, you could say it was catchable. It has a ton of mustard on it, and was a bit high, but anyone who has ever started at WR in the NFL should make that catch. Lloyd in general did absolutely nothing to distinguish himself. Kind of like last year.

Portis did not actually run a play. Why he appeared in the backfield with his jersey on, I have no idea. Maybe he's itching to get in there, but judging from his comments, I don't think so. He spent most of practice peddling on a stationary bike.

Like I said, Todd Collins is just not an NFL quarterback. I don't know how to put it more plainly. I seriously doubt that in a real game he could complete any pass deeper or more complicated than a dump-off, 4 yard in-route to a RB. Jordan Palmer...of course he's a rookie, but he needs to be the 3rd guy. It would apparently take a small miracle to make that happen, but Palmer showed lots of zip and good accuracy on his throws. I cannot think what good could be gained from banishing Palmer to the practice squad while Collins assumes the role of player/coach. He's not a player, so let him coach, and let's start grooming Palmer for the backup role. Palmer seemed very similar to Campbell (probably the answer to the question: why did we draft him?) so let’s get him ready to play in the NFL.

The defense might...not...be...real good this year. I certainly didn't see anything that would lead me to believe Gregg Williams is forming that kind of unit we saw 2 years ago. One good thing was LB's getting some penetration in the backfield on blitzes. Collins would have been sacked about 3-4 times, if that were allowed. But there wasn't much hitting, as I said, so who knows. Maybe GW is waiting to unleash the hounds at a later date? Let's hope so. I suppose if Fletcher & Rocky can turn those ridiculous, galloping runs by opposing RB’s to 5-yard gains instead, that’ll be something.

That's about it. Glad I got one in this year. I think the offense could be special. If the defense can hold the dam from bursting, then this could be a playoff team.

campbell just threw a perfect bomb to randel el. carlos rogers was beaten so badly that it's hard to describe.

So much for Gregg being able to blitz and leave his corners on an island...

How can we possibly get a pass rush if the corners are going to need safety help? :(

God knows we won't be getting one from our defensive line. :laugh:

that play was run on a blitz...offense did a great job picking it up....randel el did a double move on rogers...rogers bit on the first move.... (probably assuming the QB didn't have time for randel to do another move)

I have to disagree on one thing. I think B Lloyd has been having a good camp, and proving he should get that 2 spot back. I've been to two training camps and the scrimmage. He has his quickness and has been running good routes. Minus the one ball he dropped.

On another note it was hot and it was crowded. Luckily I have my camel bak with a liter of ice cold water. I had a blast was at the front at about the ten yard line. Got to see the cheerleaders up close and personal. Pics to come lol. Actually just realized I went to school with one of them.

It started to cool down. Was able to see some nice plays by Campbell. To bad Brunell is just a back up. But Collins needs to get cut or they should just hand him a clipboard. I'll try and post up my pics in the next couple of days.

Last note feel bad for all you people that waited in your car to get into to the parking lot. I just pulled to the side parked the car. Walked to the front of the line. Went back and got my car when they opened the gate. First one in line Woo hoo

So much for Gregg being able to blitz and leave his corners on an island...

How can we possibly get a pass rush if the corners are going to need safety help? :(

God knows we won't be getting one from our defensive line. :laugh:

Hopefully Smoot takes care of that problem. I imagine Carlos has lost his starting job. He just looked totally lost last season.

And please God.....don't put Rogers on the speedster Ginn in our first game against Miami. That could get ugly quickly, resulting in six points fast.

Hopefully Smoot takes care of that problem. I imagine Carlos has lost his starting job. He just looked totally lost last season.

And please God.....don't put Rogers on the speedster Ginn in our first game against Miami. That could get ugly quickly, resulting in six points fast.

That would be absolutely BRUTAL. Although, Green may no longer have the arm strength to exploit Rogers downfield...

Archived