Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

the FO is learning... stop complaining.

GroundNPound

I feel the need to rant on a topic for a short bit. What are one of th biggest knocks on our franchise in the last ten years (other than our record)?

It has been Danny S's "Buy your championship" mentality. I am not saying it is completely wrong, and one or two more years in the playoffs and we wouldn't be calling Schneider and the FO a bunch of lemmings. A majority of Skins fans have a deep dislike of how our franchise has been handled the past few years. Other fans use terms such as "You going to pay 30mil for another bench-warmer this year?" and "Glad he was worth that much to you after we fired him". Or how about "Marino still needs a SB, bet he would play for you again for a paltry 20mil a year".

My request. We need to stop being hypocrites. In just about every forum, there are posts ****ing about the management of our team. Just about every day there are threads posted that read "Player X released by team Y. Only 30ish years old! He could still produce!" or "We should trade to get play A, we don't really need player B and our draft picks".

This is justified by either saying we could get them for vet min (not likely to happen a majority of the time) or we can lowball teams in trade deals. Give them a mediocre player at a position of need for a decent player at a position that is stacked.

Not too many teams in the league have made as many questionable trades in the past couple years as we have. Or had as many questionable FA signings.

This season our FO, Coaching staff, and Owner seem to be bent on improving from within. Give our team a chance to develop together a little. Smoot has played with many of the players before, and Fletcher knows William's D and is a no-brain signing. Give our young DTs a little more time to learn the NFL instead of crying out for 32+ year old players past their prime. Give Lloyd and RE a chance to take the field after learning the offense a little more and getting a little chemistry w/ the QB.

We need to keep building this franchise from the foundation, up. Just because we aren't going out and trying to trade away or overpay for players we think we "need" isn't a cause for complaint. This is the first year in a few where it feels the FO gets this.

Stop ****ing about it! Here's to a new year.:cheers:

I agee with you. Snyder took over this franchise with no owner experience. He made some big FA signings that were'nt the best moves as we all know. When JG came back, he had to change this team to fit his identity and get the players/coaches he saw fit to make his system work. With the few moves we made this off season, it seems to me that JG has his team that he can win with. I am talking about winning this year. You couldn't ask of anything better from an owner over the years. He was trying to win at the same time trying to learn how to be an owner. I think that we have come full circe with our players. We are stacked on both sides of the ball if the players play up to their potential or play as they have in the past. Every team has very good players. The thing that separates each team is the coaching. This year our coaching will take these players to the next level and we will be feared when we step on the field. We have an offense that can hit you from any direction. We have a defense that dictates what the offense will do from its aggressive style. Last year was fluke. This team will be 04-05 defense with a high octane offense that puts up a lot of points. That is the MO of our coaches and that is what I am expecting to see this year. We have two of the greatest offensive minds and one of the greatest defensive minds ever with the players they need to make their systems run to the fullest. This team can and will stop the run this year. I think stopping the run will be a strength this year. Until last year we have been very good against stopping the run. Everyone thought we would be bad in 04-05 against the run and those defenses were stout. Expect that again this year. With our back 7 there is no way to know where the blitz is going to come from. Plus we have the players to play man to man to cover any blitz drawn up. This style of defense causes TO's. Something we were missing last year. I see this defense producing 2-3 TO's a game. Everyone was playing out of position last year do to injuries, bad players and bad play calling in result of those bad players on defense. The offense had some injuries as well but I think their problem had more to do with the inablity to run the offensive system properly. This is year two in the offense and you know what happen in year two of AS offense. With the defense playing out of position, thats why we got LF to line our defense up to make plays. We have 3 very good cover CB's and 2 maybe 3 good nickel/dime CB's. Then we are deep at safety with top caliber players in ST/LL. ST will be used properly this year with these up grades to the defense. Can anyone say ball hawk. The offense is on the shoulders of JC. He has made lots of improvement this off season as everyone has heard. His comfort, knowledge of the system and timing with WR will be the difference we see in his game. Campbell ran a simular offense in college one year and he can run it very well(national title). With him having the arm to make every throw and knowing where everyone will be on each play will be scary. Not to mention the line we have and the caliber of RB's. A health CP can carry this offense as well. With this franchise coming full circle with the owner, coaches and players, this will be a year to remember with many more to come. We need to just keep these current systems in place and add fresh new talent to it every year. 12-4 with a superbowl.

I agee with you. Snyder took over this franchise with no owner experience. He made some big FA signings that were'nt the best moves as we all know. When JG came back, he had to change this team to fit his identity and get the players/coaches he saw fit to make his system work. With the few moves we made this off season, it seems to me that JG has his team that he can win with. I am talking about winning this year. You couldn't ask of anything better from an owner over the years. He was trying to win at the same time trying to learn how to be an owner. I think that we have come full circe with our players. We are stacked on both sides of the ball if the players play up to their potential or play as they have in the past. Every team has very good players. The thing that separates each team is the coaching. This year our coaching will take these players to the next level and we will be feared when we step on the field. We have an offense that can hit you from any direction. We have a defense that dictates what the offense will do from its aggressive style. Last year was fluke. This team will be 04-05 defense with a high octane offense that puts up a lot of points. That is the MO of our coaches and that is what I am expecting to see this year. We have two of the greatest offensive minds and one of the greatest defensive minds ever with the players they need to make their systems run to the fullest. This team can and will stop the run this year. I think stopping the run will be a strength this year. Until last year we have been very good against stopping the run. Everyone thought we would be bad in 04-05 against the run and those defenses were stout. Expect that again this year. With our back 7 there is no way to know where the blitz is going to come from. Plus we have the players to play man to man to cover any blitz drawn up. This style of defense causes TO's. Something we were missing last year. I see this defense producing 2-3 TO's a game. Everyone was playing out of position last year do to injuries, bad players and bad play calling in result of those bad players on defense. The offense had some injuries as well but I think their problem had more to do with the inablity to run the offensive system properly. This is year two in the offense and you know what happen in year two of AS offense. With the defense playing out of position, thats why we got LF to line our defense up to make plays. We have 3 very good cover CB's and 2 maybe 3 good nickel/dime CB's. Then we are deep at safety with top caliber players in ST/LL. ST will be used properly this year with these up grades to the defense. Can anyone say ball hawk. The offense is on the shoulders of JC. He has made lots of improvement this off season as everyone has heard. His comfort, knowledge of the system and timing with WR will be the difference we see in his game. Campbell ran a simular offense in college one year and he can run it very well(national title). With him having the arm to make every throw and knowing where everyone will be on each play will be scary. Not to mention the line we have and the caliber of RB's. A health CP can carry this offense as well. With this franchise coming full circle with the owner, coaches and players, this will be a year to remember with many more to come. We need to just keep these current systems in place and add fresh new talent to it every year. 12-4 with a superbowl.

HOLY PARAGRAPH BATMAN! I do like your optimism, though. I'm not certain the Super Bowl is within our grasp, but I do think we have the best chance out of any team in our division to get there.

The Giants are a train wreck waiting to happen with no dominant RB. The Eagles fared better under Garcia last year than they did with McNabb, so they consequently released Garcia. Don't want to upset McNabb! The Cowboys will be mediocre this year. Everyone is touting them to be the NFC's contender for the Super Bowl this year. They have to be hearing it, so I think they will not come out as sharp because they will be too busy reading their own press clippings. That and Wade Phillips is TOTALLY overrated as a head coach. And Jason Garrett (a former QB coach) calling the plays...sounds like a recipe for disaster. What about Romo sits to pee <-- 95 rating :excited: He will be exposed this year now that D-coordinators finally have some substantive film on him. He will not fare well.

I think it's completely feasible that we go 5-1 within our division this year, losing only to Dallas on their home turf. Otherwise, I hope I'm wrong and we go 6-0.

"Learning?"

How long have these guys been at it? They still are learning?

People continue to "learn" all the time...think about your job. Do you know absolutely everything about it and are never wrong, or do you end up messing something up and figuring out what you could have done differently? And how long have you been doing your job? :)

No ****ing, it's training camp.

But people who get paid at the level our FO do, don't deserve or expect a learning curve. They are supposed to be competent in the business of NFL before they take leadership roles in the Redskins organization.

:cheers:

I had a little trouble coming up with the topic name. Next time I'll put more thought in it. My urge to write this comes from seeing multiple threads about vet players getting released.. and a bunch of ESers hop on the bandwagon for picking them up. Then they turn around a thread later and drone about the way this franchise has been run.

Our FO might not have learned. They might trade away our 2nd pick next year for Vick for all I know... but for the first time in years I feel like our FO, owner and coaches alike acted as if they have professional insight, as apposed to approaching free agency along w/ conducting trade in a "kid at a candy store" mannerism. NoItAllRS summed it up pretty well in that giant block of letters a couple of posts above.

People continue to "learn" all the time...think about your job. Do you know absolutely everything about it and are never wrong, or do you end up messing something up and figuring out what you could have done differently? And how long have you been doing your job? :)

Perhaps, but this thread was made to sound like our FO is full of first timers.

No ****ing, it's training camp.

But people who get paid at the level our FO do, don't deserve or expect a learning curve. They are supposed to be competent in the business of NFL before they take leadership roles in the Redskins organization.

True. But if you have a dog that keeps pissing on the carpet, you don't rub its face in it when it finally takes is buisness where its supposed to go.

You encourage it. :silly:

My request. We need to stop being hypocrites. In just about every forum, there are posts ****ing about the management of our team. Just about every day there are threads posted that read "Player X released by team Y. Only 30ish years old! He could still produce!" or "We should trade to get play A, we don't really need player B and our draft picks".

Well said. I made this same point in the Simeon Rice thread yesterday.

Hail,

H

what...we cant complain?

I don't think the point is that you cannot complain - I've done my share of complaining.

The point is that everyone complains about The Danny signing a bunch of free agents or making trades for name players who cannot play, but whenever some injured, headcase, has-been is released, we get a bunch of guys saying we should sign him right away. "Fire up Redskins One and give him VM+I!"

It's just stupid and, like GNP said, hypocritical.

Hail,

H

I find it humorous how we always get ridiculed when we open the checkbook, but now that New England is doing it, everyone thinks they are gonna win it all. I hope it back fires on them.

I'm sure it will. There's no way (Bellichick - the god of coaching - or not) that all of those receivers and additions to their team are going to gel in time. People underestimate what we as Redskins fans already know: the more new blood you add, the harder it is for your team to play cohesively from the get-go. I'm pretty sure NE's experiment will indeed go south.

There's no way this team has "built from the foundation up." The Browns, 49ers, Texans, Eagles, Patriots etc. have all done or are doing that. That approach you speak of is drafting your own players and then topping off your home-grown foundation with free agents and trades. We have done completely the opposite and it continued into this year's draft. I give the FO no slack with money Danny has given them and the time we fans have endured. There are no excuses for missing the playoffs this year and there was no excuse for missing them last year.

Is it just me, or is it hard to take anyone's opinion seriously who thinks we have an owner by the name of Schneider? :whoknows:

brian schneider is throwing out like 59% from behind the plate this year. i wish he could get a little more consistent at bat though cause he's such a great defensive catcher...no wonder he's making bad trades in the NFL; he's spending too much time working on hitting the 0-2 backdoor slider.

There's no way this team has "built from the foundation up." The Browns, 49ers, Texans, Eagles, Patriots etc. have all done or are doing that. That approach you speak of is drafting your own players and then topping off your home-grown foundation with free agents and trades. We have done completely the opposite and it continued into this year's draft. I give the FO no slack with money Danny has given them and the time we fans have endured. There are no excuses for missing the playoffs this year and there was no excuse for missing them last year.

Yes, what he means by "the FO is learning" in the fact that this season, we held out ground on the supposed negotiations for Lance Briggs and didn't give in when they asked for Rocky along with our 6th overall pick. We instead on Landry, who in our 46 packages will be a 4th linebacker in essence. We haven't traded away any of our picks for 2008 (I believe ..) as of yet, and for the most part have a complete draft next season.

We didn't overspend for FAs this season, instead of going after Clements, who I'm sure if we really really wanted, could've gotten. We brought back Smoot for a reduced price, got a true defensive leader in London Fletcher (who knows what it means to be a championship team), and have continued to add depth to areas where we really needed it (OLINE and CB).

Plus, we do have homegrown talent as a matter of fact.

- Taylor

- Rogers

- Smoot

- Marshall

- Montgomery

- Golston

- Samuels

- Jansen

- Campbell

- Cooley

- Sellers

- Betts

Most of these guys came after Gibbs II started, and that list will only continue to grow with our FO now realizing what it takes to build a team. Trust me brother, we're gonna be fine!

Archived