Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hue Jackson the new OC

The Evil Genius

Spurrier Names Jackson as Offensive Coordinator

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, December 26, 2002; 4:38 PM

Washington Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier said today that the team's running backs coach, Hue Jackson, will serve as the club's offensive coordinator beginning next season.

Spurrier said he will continue to serve as the team's primary offensive play-caller, but wants to delegate some authority to give himself the freedom to take a more hands-on approach in overseeing the defense and special teams. Spurrier had the titles of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach as well as head coach this season. The Redskins are 20th in the NFL in total offense.

Jackson was retained by Spurrier from the staff of former Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer. He was the offensive coordinator at USC before being hired by Schottenheimer prior to last season, and Spurrier said he could envision Jackson being a head coach some day.

More:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1226/1482598.html

Thursday, December 26

Spurrier will still be primary play-caller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- The more Steve Spurrier learns, the more things change around the Washington Redskins.

The first-year NFL coach said Thursday he has promoted running backs coach Hue Jackson to offensive coordinator, effective in January.

"It seems like every team in this league has an offensive coordinator even though the head coach calls plays,'' Spurrier said. "Looking back, I feel this is a good way for us to go. It will allow me as a head coach to have a little more interaction with the defensive players, the special teams players, and let me get a little more involved with the personnel decisions.''

Spurrier said he will still continue to be the primary play-caller and also continue to develop the team's passing game.

"The bottom line is that this is Coach's offense and he's going to run it, and call it,'' Jackson said. "I think the biggest thing is that when he's not there to oversee it that I know now that he will feel comfortable.''

Washington has lost 10 straight to Dallas, which has major issues of its own, with coach Dave Campo's future uncertain and Emmitt Smith's return to Dallas next season in question. Rumors about owner Jerry Jones hiring Bill Parcells as coach hover over the team.

"There's a lot of distractions,'' Campo said. "Matter of fact, if the Redskins don't beat us this weekend they may never beat the Cowboys again in the history of the game of football.''

Campo said he first learned about the meeting between Jones and Parcells during a pre-game meal while watching ESPN, the network Parcells currently works for as an analyst. Campo, who has gotten one-third of his career wins against the Redskins, said he and Jones talked Monday, but would not elaborate on what was discussed during that meeting.

Someone went so far Thursday as to write "Beat Dallas'' in the snow near the entrance to Redskins Park.

"This is an important game, but I don't want to make this the biggest game in the world,'' Spurrier said. "I hope they come in here and don't try very hard, but that's not going to happen.''

"There's a lot of distractions,'' Campo said. "Matter of fact, if the Redskins don't beat us this weekend they may never beat the Cowboys again in the history of the game of football.''

Phuck you Campo, you fat tub of sh!t. We're gonna kick your @ss and send you off in style. Good luck in your job hunt. I hear there are a few high schools that may be interested. :jerkoff:

Forget Campo's quote. The quote that bothered me the most was from our very own coach :

"This is an important game, but I don't want to make this the biggest game in the world,'' Spurrier said. "I hope they come in here and don't try very hard, but that's not going to happen.''.

It shows a pathetic state of our team that we're hoping the other team bows down in order for us to win. What's the other teams attitude got to do with it ? Take matters in your own hands. Where's the fire ? Seems like Spurrier turned 180 degrees from his original quote when he was hired, when he emphasized how important it was to beat the Boys, virtually guaranteeing a win.

Spurrier is just kidding around about the "hope the Cowboys don't try to hard" comment. Sheesh, don't make such inane conclusions. He said the same thing as coach of UF a few times. He's responding to reports that the Cowboys will be distracted and he's calling BS on it. They'll come ready to play and I'll bet the Skins will to.

The thing that you always want to see from a coach is the ability to adjust after a setback.

It would appear that Spurrier is showing just that ability to adjust that our past few coaches never seemed to have. Marty's my way or the highway approach, the Norv bash your head against a brick wall approach (or was that gus?)

:gus:

Not since Gibbs have we seen a coach that can really adjust the style/ approach. That's a good thing.

I also think that Jackson is probably a good hire. He has seemed to bring good performances out of the running backs. Let's see how he does at managing the entire offensive side of the ball.

Out of interest, who was the HC of USC when he was the OC there?

I think this move clearly marks the distinction between Norv Turner and Steve Spurrier. Norv was so involved in the offense that he didnt have time to focus on the defense, often bringing in the bottom borderline free agents to help the defense out. SS has just showed me that he knows what his problems were this year and knows how to fix them. I dont personally know Hue Jackson's resume, but he has done a pretty good job with Davis, Watson and Betts and our FB's so I guess he's nice and talented. Sounds like a good move.

Archived