Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Finding a backup QB

bubba9497

Wuerffel is going to be resigned as the #2. While he has not proven to be very durable this season, he did show in his last couple of appearances that he can be effective as a relief pitcher and frankly that is more than a lot of us expected after what we saw early on in 2002.

Danny will never be a difference maker at qb for the club because he lacks the physical tools, but for a 2 or 3 game stretch, and with a better supporting cast which we presume the Skins will have in 2003, DW is a viable option as a #2.

Agreed, the #3 qb will be a younger player that we bring in either via the draft or as a free agent.

Perhaps it will be a mobile strong armed guy we find in the later rounds, that is most probable.

You look around the NFL and see backups like Doug Pederson in Green Bay and Tim Rattay in San Francisco.

I think Wuerffel has shown to be more than competitive with those types of players.

If we just stick with the cards we've got I wouldn't be disapointed. I like the idea of finding a QB bargain in a draft that's supposed to be rich in them, but I also see some drawbacks:

Most QBs want short contracts when they sign. That way, if they turn out to be great (and they all think they'll turn out to be great), then 4 years from now they can demand the big bucks.

The problem I see with picking a #3 in the draft is, there're only a few future scenarios:

• He turns out to be Joe Montana. But, odds are, you don't find out till his fourth year (he's #3, remember: how much time do they get?). You get him for 1 year at a bargain price, then it's time for the auction.
  • He performs adequately in the few times you need him. You get your money's worth for a few years, then have to bid for him because he thinks he can do better elsewhere.
  • You pick the wrong guy. (Perhaps the most likely scenario: How many late-round QBs turn out to be decent?)

In short, because of the way the timing works out, (Whoever you draft will want a short contract, and he'll be utterly useless for the first year or two, anyway), I think the odds would recommend against drafting a QB the year after you draft one. (Especially if the first one isn't a bust).

So, if Steve sees a bargain, I won't complain. But, if we stick with our current three I think we're in good shape, as is.

There will be a few "journeymen" qb's available at bargain prices in free agency this year-which short term would probably be best- But, ideally if you can find a cheap low-rounder in the draft, to be your number 3 for a year or two-he could move up as your solid numer 2. Anybody see Kingsbury with Texas A+M? -He's a senior and runs a Spurrier-like pass-oriented offense, often with five and six receivers. -we might get him in 3rd or 4th.

Larry, I don't think a 3rd stringer needs to be Joe Montana.. Most 3rd string QB's are just on the roster incase of an emergency.. I think the only teams that have used 3 qb's this year would be us, the eagles, the dolphins, and the panthers. I could be wrong on that though. That is just off the top of my head.

Most teams have a guy like Fasani or Rosenfels.. But most teams don't care, as long as he knows the plays if for some reason the top two go down.

The trouble with bringing in a rookie QB at third-string is this: the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town. When Ramsey struggles -- and he will struggle -- you probably don't want him looking over his shoulder at the young guy holding the clipboard next to Spurrier.

I'd prefer a competent veteran backup in the #2 spot and Wuerffel at #3. You know the #2 guy will play -- injuries will hit, and Spurrier has a short hook anyway. I'd like to minimize the time I spend watching Wuerffel run the offense in the future, just to save wear-and-tear on my TV remote.

I'm not bashing Wuerffel -- he's just not the guy you want in there when the game is on the line. Hopefully, next year we'll play in some games that count.

If we do take a rookie, I hope it's in round 3 or later. Any earlier than that and fans will have high expectations -- and they'll start chanting for him to come in and deliver whenever Ramsey struggles.

But if it's a late-round QB, when Ramsey struggles, everyone will think, "Hmmm... Wuerffel or some late-round bum? Might as well see if Ramsey can play through it," and sit on their hands.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I think we need to go after a proven veteran, maybe not a big name, but a bargain basement type, a career clipboard holder. Not to say I wouldn't want him to be capable on the field. I think we need someone who allows Ramsey to go on the field and not have to be looking over his shoulder every other play. Remember Johnson/George, Shuler/Frerotte, and so on. It would be nice to go through a year or half a year with out the talking heads screaming "quarterback controversy".

With that being said, I keep hearing J Plummer's name being mentioned. I don't believe his recent play in Arizona is what this guy really has to offer. I think wherever he winds up, he's going to do well. I mean how many guys have flourished in the Cards organization. I don't really want him here though, because of the stated reason above. He comes off as the type of player who isn't going to be content sitting on the bench. I'd say let someone else pick him up, and hopefully we won't have to see him twice a year.

I think Spurrier has turned the corner on bringing in ex-Gators UNLESS that player really is the best available from an athletic standpoint.

With Grossman, I don't think Spurrier will draft him because that might cause some distraction for Ramsey due to the Florida connection.

I think the Redskins will move on and draft another qb from another school, probably one that does not look like Ramsey, ie a mobile qb more in the mold of a Moon or McNabb.

Drafting Grossman puts immediate pressure on Ramsey (and Spurrier) and I don't think that's needed.

I could see taking a Kliff Kingsbury in the 4th (although that Oklahoma game was hard to ignore). Chris Sims is a possible, but he's going in the second round, I believe, and I don't think we want to take a QB that high.

Frankly, I'm not sure there are any young, mobile guys in the draft. Maybe a Shaun King when he's cut from Tampa.

BTW, congrats on your first post, NoreastNCFan. Now that you've got your feet wet, come on in the pool.

Few thoughts from me...

Kingsbury plays for Texas Tech I believe - not A&M.

Simms probably wouldnt even be a 1st day pick if his last name wasn't Simms. A lot of scouts dont seem to high on him this year.

Backup QB's - mobile ones in the draft would have to include Brad Banks from Iowa and the kid from Iowa State. Forget his name now. A few pocket passers that might peak some interest later in the draft would be Philip Rivers of NC State and a sleeper Zach Threadgill of Nevada.

I wonder where Brian Griese is going to end up - he has fallen out of favor in Denver now supposedly...

Evil Genius...You're right, Seneca Wallace of Iowa State might be that mobile QB and his late-season swoon has probably dropped him to the late rounds unless combines/bowls help him. I'd read that he had developed an attitude. Was more than willing to talk with media during his hot streak, but refused to be interviewed when things got freaky (i.e. losing to UConn).

Maybe a Div-IAA QB...

I dont like the idea of Woeful being our backup quarterback. With the luck this organization has been having in the last decade with quarterbacks -- next year Ramsey will probably go down with an injury in game 1-- and then Woeful willl be our starting quarterback for 2003 and we finish 4-12! :doh:

I hope we dont resign Woeful and can find someone better then this. :rolleyes:

Archived