Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Article: Peerless is digging us... aww yeah.

Zen-like Todd

Guys, at this point, I'm going to say there's an 75% chance that this kid is on our roster next season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34981-2002Dec24.html

The Washington Redskins seem intent upon signing a top wide receiver via free agency in the coming offseason, and an early candidate has emerged. The representative for Buffalo Bills standout Peerless Price said that if Price is on the market, as expected, he would regard the Redskins as a leading contender to sign him because of Coach Steve Spurrier's reliance on the passing game.

"There's no question about it," agent Tim McGee said in a telephone interview this week. "With Spurrier there, with the type of personality that he has and his type of play-calling, you'd look at it very closely. Although it's premature at this time, I would think that would be one of the places that would be ideal for him. It's definitely one of the places he'd look at seriously."

Redskins officials are making plans to add two wide receivers before next season as part of their overhaul of Spurrier's offense, and expect to sign one as a free agent and use an early-round draft selection in April on another. Price, 26, would be one of the top wideouts available if he does not sign a contract extension with the Bills before the NFL's free agent signing period begins in March, and almost certainly would command a hefty signing bonus as part of a long-term deal.

But NFL sources said this week that the Redskins would unlikely be outbid for him. Redskins officials declined to comment. Price is still under contract with the Bills.

McGee said that negotiations with the Bills on a contract extension for Price are "nowhere that gets you excited" and he expects Price to be available.

"I'm always optimistic" about negotiations with Buffalo, McGee said. "But I think he'll be on the market."

The Bills could use their franchise-player tag to all but ensure they would retain Price. That would give them the right to keep him by matching any contract offer he receives from another team, and would enable them to receive two first-round draft choices as compensation from any club that would sign Price. But it also would require the Bills to pay Price a salary next season equal to the average of the five top-paid wide receivers in the league.

"It's always possible," McGee said. "It's been thrown out there by some people, but I don't know."

The Bills already have one highly paid wideout in Pro Bowler Eric Moulds, and have rookie Josh Reed ready to step into a more prominent role if Price departs. The three wide receivers have teamed with quarterback Drew Bledsoe this season to give the Bills the NFL's fourth-ranked passing offense entering Sunday's final regular season game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Price and Moulds are both having strong seasons. Moulds has 91 catches for 1,212 yards and nine touchdowns. Price has 89 receptions for 1,195 yards and nine touchdowns. But while Moulds was named to the AFC Pro Bowl team last week with fellow wide receivers Marvin Harrison of Indianapolis, Hines Ward of Pittsburgh and Jerry Rice of Oakland, Price was named an alternate. The snub caused Price to express increased reservations about re-signing with Buffalo, saying he might be better off signing with another team for which he would be the top pass-catching target.

"It definitely makes me think twice about it," Price told the Buffalo News. "I know there's more opportunities out there for me."

Atlanta, Jacksonville, Miami, Tennessee and Philadelphia also have been mentioned as possible suitors for Price. He certainly would become the top target for the Redskins, whose leading receiver this season, Rod Gardner, has 66 catches for 947 yards and eight touchdowns entering Sunday's finale against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field.

In his first season as an NFL head coach, Spurrier has been unable to recreate the magic of his passing offenses at the University of Florida. The Redskins rank 20th in the NFL in total offense and 21st in passing offense. They seem to have settled on rookie Patrick Ramsey as their starting quarterback but plan to retool their offense with two new wide receivers and two new guards. The Redskins have little salary cap room at this point but plan to create nearly $9 million of cap space in the offseason by releasing tailback Stephen Davis and defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson.

Some NFL scouts think Gardner would be better suited to being a number two wide receiver than the top wideout he now must be. Spurrier said he could envision keeping Gardner, Derrius Thompson and Darnerien McCants in prominent roles next season. Thompson is eligible for unrestricted free agency following the season.

If the Redskins are unable to get Price, their next-best option among free agent wide receivers might be Kevin Dyson, who has 41 catches for Tennessee. Arizona's David Boston is eligible for unrestricted free agency, but executives from many NFL teams expect the Cardinals to name him their franchise player. Prospective free agent Ike Hilliard, who has spent six seasons with the New York Giants after playing for Spurrier at Florida, also is interested in signing with the Redskins, according to NFL sources.

Redskins Notes: The team signed offensive lineman Patrick Downey off the Atlanta Falcons' practice squad. The Redskins also promoted wide receiver Richmond Flowers from their practice squad to their 53-man roster and signed linebacker Shamar Finney to their practice squad.

well, it's cool I guess as long as TCO promises not to call him honey anymore. :silly: Hmmmm ran a 4.45 ..puts him ahead of at least Dmac, D.T. who ran 4.55's and the same as Gardner. I believe......hmmmmmmm well...Russell ran a 4.27 so that may just put him ahead in the speed category. More than speed involved, obviously, but all those guys except russell are big. Not a bad thing in this division.

:cheers:

The front office needs to quit gambling big contracts on the easy, low hanging fruit that are free agents. They should instead get their scouts in gear and start beating the bushes to find the talent they need in the draft.

Gardner ran a 4.45. Price isn't a true burner. He's quicker, though, than Gardner, but not nearly as strong. I don't envision Price being a true No. 1 receiver, but, having him will help make Gardner that true No. 1 receiver I think.

Although I'm intrigued by the potential of Price, I too think maybe we should be looking for draftees who run precise.. quick routes and have great hands. Maybe the kid from San Diego St., Tolliver I believe. Also, Lee Evans might be a great second day pick... considering he's now had to have two surgeries to fix his blown out knee. Kelly Washington two on the second day would be a steal.

Using our early round picks on Beef for the front lines seems a more safe strategy, and picking up skilled positions with guys who "fit" the Spurrier system and can be "coached up".

Finally, Kevin Johnson of Cleveland would be a nice addition. He's quick out of cuts but doesn't have burner speed. Good hands as well. The post mentioned Kevin Dyson, whom I've thought has been playing rather well for TN.

I like Kevin Johnson alot, but he is not a speedster. Dyson is also too injury-prone. I wouldn't draft a WR in the early rounds unless Roy Williams decides to come out, or Charlie Rogers falls to us. I doubt both accounts will happen.

I'd like to see Price as a Redskin, he could be a good compliment to Gardner and has shown he can be productive going deep.

Peerless Price is a guy like Stubblefield that has had one outstanding year and someone is going to make the mistake of giving him Marvin Harrison or Isaac Bruce money and then they are going to pay the 'price' later on :)

In order to sign Price the Skins would probably have to give him 35-40% more than he is worth in terms of contract (because there will be others willing to overpay too) and I would hope we are beyond that.

If, like Joe Gibbs, Spurrier is an offensive guru we should be able to come back in 2003 with a physically talented qb in Ramsey and wr in Gardner, add another WR in the draft or MID-RANGE free agency and have a productive offense :)

I think I would rather have Kevin Dyson than PRice. He's got serious quicks, which this offense lacks. Gardner, Thompson, and McCants all have decent speed but are very slow getting into their routes and off the line of scrimage. Dyson can create separation very early and has good hands and toughness over the middle for his size.

Basically, I think Price is talented, but too similar to Gardner and Thompson. Cliff Russell may be our answer for speed, but won't be ready next year to start. I think Dyson would be very dangerous paired with Gardner and Thompson. He would provide some quickness underneath and allow Gardner and Thompson to get downfield and take advantage of their size.

For the record, Stubblefield had more than one outstanding year.

He was the rookie of the year with double-digit sacks. He followed that with 8.5 sacks. He then had two poor years and his huge one. He's nothing at all like Price. Price is a one-year wonder at this point. Stubblefield was a proven player who'd had three incredible years among his five.

I wouldn't say Price is a one hit wonder, he's steadily progressed over his first 3 seasons, and exploded this year when the Bills finally got a QB and a running game.

Here are his numbers for his first 3 years:

31-393-3

52-762-3

55-895-7

So it's not like he's coming completely out of left field, the Bills were counting on him being this type of player, and in his 4th year, like a lot of receivers do, he's busted out.

Price is for real.

And another note, of his 22 career TD's, 13 of them have come from over 40 yards.

Exactly the type of playmaker we need.

Don't overthink this one guys, Price is a playmaker that would be a great fit in Spurrier's offense. Of course I don't want us to over pay for him either, but he's definitely worth pursuing.

Price has had one good year, and he did it playing opposite Moulds with Bledsoe throwing the ball to him. I'm not convinced that he's really ready to step up and be a number one.

I'm all for us signing him, as long as it's not one of those cap-busting contracts that we seem to specialize in. He's still a risk, and we need to make sure he doesn't burn us.

Originally posted by MRMADD

Price has had one good year, and he did it playing opposite Moulds with Bledsoe throwing the ball to him. I'm not convinced that he's really ready to step up and be a number one.

I don't think we really need him to be a #1 reciever for us, that is what Gardner is here for. All we need is a reciever with deep speed who compliment Gardner, and force teams not to double team him as much.

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

Dyson wouldn't be much of an upgrade for us if at all. The guy had 460 yards recieving in 12 games this year and now he's injured. Derrick Mason has 1012 yards in 13 games in the same offense. In Dyson's best year he only had 825 yards playing all 16 games.

That's an interesting stat about Price, TheWarpath.

Yeah ok. I'm not the biggest Titans fan and have gotten those two mixed up before. I was under the impression that Dyson was the better of Tennessee's wr's. I changed my mind, especially after reading about that touchdown stat of Price's. BUT, we have to be careful.

I think what a lot of people are afriad of( myself included) is that we will sign him to a big contract and he will not do anything more than Thompson has and Thompson has become a decent reciever and could be had for ALOT less money. If we can sign him to a decent deal(which he is gonna want an arm and a leg) we do it. The main reason we do it is so that we can use our first rounder on a DE or DT.

Price may very well be just playing us to up his asking price. Everybody knows Danny-Boy is a wheeler-dealer and market leader, so they express interest in the Skins first to get the bidding started at a higher level. Price wants to leave Buffalo to become a #1. Do you guys think he'd really be okay with splitting catches with Gardner and maybe Thompson?

If he comes at a value, great; but I have a feeling he's gonna get kooky cash just like Hakim last year.

Signing Price would be a good move. He is a young, emerging playmaker who fills one of the biggest voids on our team, a fast potential #1 WR. He will cost us, but I think he's worth it because I am not convinced the offense will function as it was designed to without a fast playmaking WR.

I do think he should be the only WR we acquire in the offseason because the other guys have shown potential. I would be happy with a WR depth chart that looked something like this:

1. Price

2. Gardner

3. Thompson (we need to re-sign him)

4. McCants

5. Russell

6. Skaggs or Doering

Price strikes me as a nice WR, but I would also be one to question whether he is a true #1 threat. I suppose that could hinge on the WRs you have at #s 2-4. I think he would make our team better, though, provided we don't tie up so much in him that we can't address other areas.

Let someone else win a bidding war.

If washington signed Price or another speed burner, I believe the receiver that would benefit the most would be Doering. Stretching the field will open up big areas in the middle, that doering can work, and be Ramsey security blanket, sort of like Novichek was for Aikman back in the early 90's for the Cowboys.

Archived