Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interview Techniques ( help needed )

Sherlock Holmes

Which Record Will Favre Break First???  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which Record Will Favre Break First???

• Most career touchdown passes.
    • Most career interceptions.
    • Who cares?

A-yo guys,

Haven't posted for a while, probably in a meager attempt to stop Redskins hysteria from sweeping me away into the land of 10 post's a day yet again.

Anyways, got an interview this coming tuesday here in England for a small, part time job. Ok, its not microsoft, but I need the income that this job is offering and the principles of Interviewing techniques must be the same however high the position, yes?

Any tips for maintaining a positive persona during an interview, how to put myself across well, how to blag an answer to a question convincingly even when I don't know the answer, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sherlock ;)

:cheers:

Research the company before hand and be able to talk intelligently about what they do, and have an answer for why you want to work there. Dress sharp and be confident and relaxed.

When they ask you questions, make sure you directly answer the question they're asking - they'll know if you're side-stepping the question or giving them the run-around.

Oh, and be in a good mood. Listen to your favorite music in the car on the way there, read a few jokes on the web before you go, whatever. Even if you're having the worst day of your life, try to check that at the door. Show them a person who will be pleasant and professional in the office.

Edit: And be yourself - sell them on the real you, because that's who you're going to have to be at the office.

good advice. The thing I try to keep in mind is that the inteviewers are rooting for you. They want to find a great candidate and they are hoping you're it. No one wants their time wasted, so for the most part they're on your side. Like Dfitzo said, prep work is good, researching the couple, reviewing to yourself questions you anticipate and how you would like to answer them. For me, details are important. If you can be specific about the how's and why's it's much more meaningful. Create verbal pictures that you hope your audience can see. Vague talk or generalized talk is boring.

Incriminating photos help too.

Good advice so far. Definitely being in a positive frame of mind is important. Also, the little things, such as eye contact and body language are still very important. Don't appear rigid, but, if this sounds odd, appear relaxed and attentive at the same time. Make sure to also bring a copy of your resume, if you have one, in case the interviewer ask you for a copy. And, of course, dress for success: Nothing turns me off more, when I used to interview folks, when a candidate would dress poorly or isn't clean in appearance. Dressing neatly often shows respect for the interviewer, the position, and yourself. Last but not least, just spend a few minutes before you leaving your house to make sure you are well put-together and have everything you need: Don't rush, but give yourself plenty of time.

Good luck!

All good advice. As Burgold said, remember the interviewer is talking to you because they want to hire you. Be natural. Show interest in what the company does and ask the interviewer to tell you about the job. Be a good listener :).

Based on your age they aren't expecting too much from you in terms of skills; they want to validate that you'll show up on time with a good attitude and do what's asked of you.

It may seem obvious, but no gum, and don't smoke. Turn off your cell phone. I've seen all in interviews. One person even took a call. :doh:

Make sure you know how long it will take to get to the actual building you will be interviewed at (sometimes reception and where you need to be are some distance apart. FInd out if you need to get there early to fill out any paperwork before the interview.

The first five seconds are important for many interviewers in creating an impression. Give eye contact, be ready for a handshake (put your CV/resume, or anything else you have, in your left hand.), remember your name ;), decide if you'll take them up on their offer of a drink or restroom before the interview starts.

And ask them for their e-mail address to send them a brief thank you and to express interest in the job.

Here are a few things that might help:

Enter the interview wearing your ipod (with it on), and if asked about it state that you can listen to the interviewer and the music at the same time.

Challenge the interviewer to arm wrestle.

Bring a bag lunch and eat it during the interview (if necessary explain that you think more clearly on a full stomach).

When asked about your long-term goals, state that they are to replace the interviewer.

If you're feeling tired at any point, don't be afraid to put your head down on the desk/table and take a nap.

Let's see, at the end of the interview when they ask if there is anything else say "Well, ma'am, I ain't never killed nobody before."

Oh, and here are some good things to say if you can work them into the conversation:

"Sometimes I feel like smashing things."

"My legs are really hairy."

"I think I'm going to throw up."

"Women should not be allowed to drink in ****tail bars."

"Why aren't you in a more interesting business?"

"What are the zodiac signs of all the board members?"

"Why do you want references?"

"Do I have to dress for the next interview?"

"I know this is off the subject, but will you marry me?"

"Will the company move my rock collection from California to Maryland?"

"Would it be a problem if I'm angry most of the time?"

"Does your company have a policy regarding concealed weapons?"

"Do you think the company would be willing to lower my pay?"

"Why am I here?"

"I have no difficulty in starting or holding my bowel movements."

"I feel uneasy indoors."

"I think that Lincoln was greater than Washington."

"I get excited very easily."

"Once a week, I usually feel hot all over."

"I am fascinated by fire."

"I like tall women."

"Whenever a man is with a woman he is usually thinking about sex."

"People are always watching me."

"If I get too much change in a store, I always give it back."

"Almost everyone is guilty of bad sexual conduct."

"I must admit that I am a pretty fair talker."

"If the pay was right, I'd travel with the carnival."

Disclosure: These are not original, but are actions/statements actually used by job applicants/interviewees.

Archived