Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Effects of Betts in 2006 on Portis in 2007

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well I agree it's absurd to say Betts had no part in his success.

However, it's absolutely 100% true that, given the same holes, a healthy Portis would have done double what Betts did. That's nothing against Betts - it's just the benefit of being an experienced, highly talented back.

100% true? More like 100% impossible to ever know for sure. And no way he would have gained twice the yards Betts did in half a season. That would be over 2000 yards for Portis in half a season--absurd.

It is also possible, probable in fact, that Portis wouldn't have hit the holes like Betts does.....and his dancing behind the line would have produced his normal YPC since coming to Washington--a lower YPC than Betts last season.

All of the Madden lovers are blind to the big picture. This is it:

Portis is great at breaking longer runs. Stats will show that even with these longer runs, his ypc is well below Betts'.

So how can he possibly break so many long runs....but his ypc is so much lower than Betts?

Because for every one run of 40 yards he makes......his next 18 runs have to average only 2 yards a pop. 18 runs in a row of 2 yards. 18 runs in a row of nothing. 18 runs=6 entire offensive series, if we run on 1st-3rd every single time. That is an entire half of football. He literally COSTS us half a game of 3 and outs every time that he starts, and puts up a big run. Now do you think those 40 yard runs are so important?

So 1st down....run for 40. The next 18 downs....run for 3 and outs. No team can win consistently like that. And I think Joe and Al finally figured that out last season. Let's hope so. Time will tell.

I love Betts and when given the chance he did run well and put up good #'s but his issues with fumbles scare me like no other.

I cant wait to see CP back in the saddle full-time. Betts will be a nice change of pace but realistically.....if CP is completely healthy this year Betts will be invisible for the most part.

Its kindof a catch 22.

portis is a great back.

betts is a great backup.

the presence of JC will be more influential on portis' production.

end of conversation, mcd...DON'T START, i'm too hung over for this argument today.

I don't know about "mcd" but you keep that up, and I'll jump in. JC's presence has no effect on the running game. None. Zero. Nada. Again, it's foolish to think a second year QB with poor statistics had any affect on the running game. Despite your believe, JC does not stand for Jesus Christ in this case. Again, give Betts, the Oline, and Gibbs some credit here for crying out loud.

Betts last year will have zero effect on Portis this year. In fact nothing that happened last year will have an effect on this year, except perhaps in terms of coaching, game planning, and game strategy. Lesson learned by the coaches.

Hail,

H

I don't know about "mcd" but you keep that up, and I'll jump in. JC's presence has no effect on the running game. None. Zero. Nada. Again, it's foolish to think a second year QB with poor statistics had any affect on the running game. Despite your believe, JC does not stand for Jesus Christ in this case. Again, give Betts, the Oline, and Gibbs some credit here for crying out loud.

Betts last year will have zero effect on Portis this year. In fact nothing that happened last year will have an effect on this year, except perhaps in terms of coaching, game planning, and game strategy. Lesson learned by the coaches.

Hail,

H

I beg to differ, but part of the running game coming into it's own were 2 things. Gibbs, Saunders, Betts and the O-line getting back to smash mouth football.

And also, Campbell was a bigger threat to throw the ball downfield than dumpoff Brunell. They could no longer stack the box all the time on first and second down. Not say JC was the second coming of Marino, but his ability to get the ball downfield and his threat of stepping up in the pocket and scrambling made defenses respect us on 1st and 2nd down more.

Agree with the number of people who already said Betts will resume his role as a back up. CP's ability to run with the ball & block will keep him on the field. Betts is slightly overrated but is a good #2 running back.

I look forward to a healthy Clinton Portis and another 1500 yard season from him...he is two 1500 yard season away from tying Barry Sanders record of 5.

Never mind Portis and Betts,

Al Saunders is going to have a good year for the redskins.

Portis and Betts means room for Moss and Cooley and LLoyd and El and i hope even Sellars to show their stuff.

Should be plenty of options.

Hail,

H

thats downright hillarious. "JC's presence has no effect on the running game" is a laughable comment. JC had the ability to stretch the field. as i pointed out 2 weeks ago, brunell threw close to 75% of his passes 10 yards or less, so teams didnt need to play anybody deep because he wasnt a threat to go that way. teams stacked up as a result. campbell had the ability to effectively stretch the field, and defenses had to compensate for it. your quarterbacks ability is directly linked to your running game.

i know if i was a defensive coordinator and i knew a QB couldnt throw id just take away the run game, which is what teams did to us early on. maybe some of you forgot what brunell looked like through week 9, it was pretty painful to watch.

Hail,

H

so the game planning that changed last year when jc entered as the qb will have an effect. thanks for proving my point in the exact same post where you tried to rip on me. i'm in no way taking anything away from betts, the oline or gibbs you stubborn idiot....I'M INSULTING BRUNELL'S TERRIBLE PLAY!! get it straight. and you are right, a second year qb shouldn't have that big of an effect, but this year jc is a third year qb and teams know he has an arm and can use it, and just like last year when jc entered the game, the defenses are going to have to respect it. it's about time you started to respect it too.

Betts is not that good. Yeah he had 5 games that were off the charts, but anyone will tell you that his numbers were the product of AWESOME O-line play. If CP were healthy last year and he were running through those holes, CP would have had twice the yardage and TD's.

So you are saying CP would have had over 1,000 yards in 5 games and over 2,000 yards in 8 games? Keep dreaming.

thats downright hillarious. "JC's presence has no effect on the running game" is a laughable comment. JC had the ability to stretch the field. as i pointed out 2 weeks ago, brunell threw close to 75% of his passes 10 yards or less, so teams didnt need to play anybody deep because he wasnt a threat to go that way. teams stacked up as a result. campbell had the ability to effectively stretch the field, and defenses had to compensate for it. your quarterbacks ability is directly linked to your running game.

i know if i was a defensive coordinator and i knew a QB couldnt throw id just take away the run game, which is what teams did to us early on. maybe some of you forgot what brunell looked like through week 9, it was pretty painful to watch.

So can you explain how Brunnell had a HIGHER YPA then Campbell did?

yea, it's called watch the game and tell me when a ball travels more than 15 yards down the field, and then tell me when santana turns a screen pass into 25 yard gain, or when portis catches brunell's longest pass of the year for 72 yards on a shovel pass.

next question.

yea, it's called watch the game and tell me when a ball travels more than 15 yards down the field, and then tell me when santana turns a screen pass into 25 yard gain, or when portis catches brunell's longest pass of the year for 72 yards on a shovel pass.

next question.

how about you watch a game, and while you are at it why dont you learn what that acronym means. YPA means YARDS PER ATTEMPT...NOT yards per completion. move along.

next question.

how about you watch a game, and while you are at it why dont you learn what that acronym means. YPA means YARDS PER ATTEMPT...NOT yards per completion. move along.

:munchout:

Absurd. Tell that line of garbage to TJ Duckett.

TJ Duckett isn't half the back Portis is.

I may have been a liitle overly facetious when stating that Portis would have had twice as many yards. How about I put it this way he would have had substantially more.

Portis hits holes faster than Betts and also has the ability to make defenders miss. Betts is a load to take down but he slower and not as agile. Betts had a ton of carries over 15 yds., but if it were Portis most of those carries would have been 20-30 yd. carries and some the distance. Portis simply has a gear that few backs have.

Last season was the first season that the man was hurt. Now, people want his head?

C'mon, he carried this team to the playoffs in '05 and if it were Betts in there the Skins would NOT have finished the way they did. The man is a great back and will be 100% healthy to start the season and hopefully he can avoid injury.

his YPA is effected by what the receivers do after the ball is caught. brunell throwing the ball to portis on a pitchout and him getting credit for a 78 yard pass is hillarious. again ill say, 75% of his passes were thrown 10 yards or less, so our receivers should get all the credit for any yards they got. lets not delude ourselves into thinking brunell was stretching the field.

his YPA is effected by what the receivers do after the ball is caught. brunell throwing the ball to portis on a pitchout and him getting credit for a 78 yard pass is hillarious. again ill say, 75% of his passes were thrown 10 yards or less, so our receivers should get all the credit for any yards they got. lets not delude ourselves into thinking brunell was stretching the field.

again...ypa is not ypc

its as simple as this.

Portis did not play one game with JC under center. All of his games were with Brunell under center. Now, Portis was not getting the holes that betts was. Also, when portis was playing, Saunders and Gibbs still had no idea how to run the offence. By the end of the season it began to gel and betts benefited from this. His stats are hugely inflated. Guaranteed that if portis was the feature back all year then he would have broken the rushing record he set the previous year.

Lastly, how rare is it to see portis fumble? Betts does it all the time. Remember last year against st. louis when betts fumbled at the end of the game? The O-line opened a HUGE hole for betts. He hit it hard, next thing you know the DB caught up to betts (cuz this always happens) and stripped him of the ball. If that was portis. TD and we would have most likely won that game.

that is an example of making NOTHING out of SOMETHING

2005. Eagles vs skins, game 2. hand off to portis. He is caught behind the line. Does a quick 360, eludes the D-line, starts to the outside, turns the corner, outruns everyone and superman into the endzone!!!

that is an example if making SOMETHING out of NOTHING.

I really hope portis coems back this year and tears the league apart. He wil embarass all of you people who don't want him to start and or want him to be traded.

HTTR

Portis reg. season prediction= 400 carries, 2,250 yds 5.625 yds/ carry 33 tds

NFL MVP

Portis playoff prediction= 3 games(1st rd. bye)78 carries,398 yds, 5.1 yds/carry, 5 tds

SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

My opinion is evident. Best will play the best.Portis is our guy. Don't doubt, the haters will regret.

If portis does not get injured, then I think that he will have a great year. Betts should give portis spells he needs for him to be fresh.

On a side note, the back that you have to be careful about getting injured this year will be Larry Johnson. That guys has a heck of a lot of carries, plus he is in a contract year. He could try and do too much and in the process injury himself and knock himself out of money.

Saunders loves Betts. I bet he will call his number slightly more than Portis. Portis is a gamebreaker though. He loves taking the load and is much more likely to make a big run.. I think they will both have good seasons dispite that both of them might not break 1'000 yds. I just hope they can get along together.

Archived