Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Effects of Betts in 2006 on Portis in 2007

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

WOW clinton portis caught a SHOVEL PASS and didnt look clumsy? he MUST be the best pass catching running back in the whole wide world!!!!

if portis cant catch a shovel pass without looking clumsy there would be no point of him even playing football. Now if you actually watch the games you will see portis having trouble with passes that are th actually thrown further than a yard.

im glad you didnt attempt to refute a single point i made.

im glad you didnt attempt to refute a single point i made.

Dont know why you would discount the spurrier years? they both played in the same system. we'll play your games though.

take away clinton's 74 yard "pass" his ypc drops from 10.0 to 6.0 last year.

If you take away that 74 yard "pass" his ypc drops from 7.7 to 6.7 for the last two years.

the fact that you think portis is a better pass catcher then betts is laughable. take off the portis glasses man, you're wrong.

Dont know why you would discount the spurrier years? they both played in the same system. we'll play your games though.

take away clinton's 74 yard "pass" his ypc drops from 10.0 to 6.0 last year.

If you take away that 74 yard "pass" his ypc drops from 7.7 to 6.7 for the last two years.

the fact that you think portis is a better pass catcher then betts is laughable. take off the portis glasses man, you're wrong.

now youre taking long passes away from him? haha. im only discounting the spurrier years because it was a different offense, even if you leave it in, betts goes up by .9 yards. if that really excites you that much, fine, betts averages .9 yards more than portis for every reception he gets.

portis scores more TDs, and fumbles less than betts does catching the ball. and the only reason you think hes so good is because he caught a ton of passes this year because brunell threw to him soooo friggin much. other than this year, running and catching, ladell betts has been invisible. this isnt even arguable. aside from a 6 game stretch in 2006, ladell betts career has amounted to pretty much nothing. hes good for about 5 to 6 carries a game, and maybe a few catches. ill take portis in every single facet of the game over ladell betts.

now youre taking long passes away from him? haha. im only discounting the spurrier years because it was a different offense, even if you leave it in, betts goes up by .9 yards. if that really excites you that much, fine, betts averages .9 yards more than portis for every reception he gets.

portis scores more TDs, and fumbles less than betts does catching the ball. and the only reason you think hes so good is because he caught a ton of passes this year because brunell threw to him soooo friggin much. other than this year, running and catching, ladell betts has been invisible. this isnt even arguable. aside from a 6 game stretch in 2006, ladell betts career has amounted to pretty much nothing. hes good for about 5 to 6 carries a game, and maybe a few catches. ill take portis in every single facet of the game over ladell betts.

Yeah because if you could youd happily perform fellatio on the man. Dude, Betts has had a better YPC then Portis EVERY SINGLE YEAR that they have been in the league. get a clue.

And the reason i took that pass away was because it does not take much pass catching ability to catch a shovel pass. A shovel pass is a freaking long handoff, its just a forward pitch.

Betts is a better pass catcher there is really no argument here, and i have no idea why you continue to argue that point BLC. Portis is a much much better runner than Betts.

Portis: has vision to set up blocks and get the big gains and often times he will continue to run laterally to find the big play where he could hit the first hole and get the 5 yards. He has enough pass catching ability to be effective in teh passing game.

Betts: He hits the hole hard and gets as many yards as he can. He lacks the vision to take it to teh house. His career long is 27 yards and he probably fumbled on that play. With that said Betts is a great back up and can suitably fill the role when Portis needs to be spelled.

Betts is a better pass catcher there is really no argument here, and i have no idea why you continue to argue that point BLC. Portis is a much much better runner than Betts.

because there is absolutely nothing to suggest betts is such a good pass catcher. somebody show me where up until 2006 hes been some great option out of the backfield. what great pass catcher out of the backfield averages 13 catches per season from 2002-2005?? id think such a pass catching option would warrant plenty more catches than that. somebody just show me why betts is so great and ill leave it be, because so far other than "hes so much better" ive yet to see a single piece of evidence to suggest that hes so good.

Lloyd your wrong, have you ever in the past three years really heard that Portis is a better reciever. Why is it that the coaches choose to put Betts in the game more often than not on passing plays? I guess you are just more intelligent then our coaches, and yes obviously I know Portis is in on many passing downs, but hey he should be, he is the flipping starter (and a much better blocker).

Lloyd your wrong, have you ever in the past three years really heard that Portis is a better reciever. Why is it that the coaches choose to put Betts in the game more often than not on passing plays? I guess you are just more intelligent then our coaches, and yes obviously I know Portis is in on many passing downs, but hey he should be, he is the flipping starter (and a much better blocker).

ive never heard betts is a better receiver, only started hearing that on this board when he'd catch 18 screen passes from mark brunell.

and you just stated that portis is in on tons of passing downs (hes also known for his superior pass blocking) so again, other than you just telling me so, prove to me that betts is such a good receiver. 13 catches a season tells me otherwise.

Portis will have his best year ever! The magazines disrespect this guy and have him around #25 in fantasy football and he counts for $8M next year. He likes DC and will re-work his deal next year for big $$$'s in bonus money after having a 1,600+ yard season.

Clinton went down and Betts picked up the slack like a champ. Thats the problem when you leave your glove on the mound, so to speak. Somebody might pick it up and be lights out. I think Clinton will be motivated to perform well, although I'll be the first to say that he played with intensity even before Betts turned into a beast. Heck, the guy dislocated his shoulder tackling a dude after a turnover in a PRESEASON game. To be honest, until Jason proves he can handle the load at QB on a consistent basis, these two guys will have to carry the load. I expect a big year from both of them. HTTR.

yeah gotta love that foolish play!! it was preseason, when you are feature back you have to use your head and portis failed to do so. sure i love intense competitiveness, however i dont like seeing him throwing himself around in wreckless abandon. he helped majorly screw up our season with this move. i sure hope he has learned his lesson!!

betts having 5 good games wont effect portis. betts will be fulfilling the role he always has, being a solid backup.

:applause: Agreed. They will be a great tandem, but neither will be better or worse than in '05.

BLC and I disagree all the time, but he's one of the people here who really does know what he's talking about.

Betts is not a better pass catcher than Portis, that's absolutely silly. Betts comes in on third down to be MORE of ground threat, not less.

If we were showing pass, we'd keep Portis in - he's known leaguewide for being a fabulous pass-blocking running back. Betts comes in for Portis to keep Portis fresh. There are no skills Betts has that Portis doesn't.

I repeat - there are NO skills Betts has that Portis doesn't.

I'm not saying Betts isn't a great backup RB. In fact, I think he's the best backup RB in the NFL. I'd take him over Michael Turner in a SECOND, and most people would say I'm crazy for that.

You can't stat-compare Portis to Betts. We throw to Betts more often because it's usually 3rd and 8, not because his hands are better than CP's.

To the dude claiming BLC has a mancrush on Portis, at least Portis has done something in his career to earn a mancrush. Betts has played 6 great games. That's not enough to say he's better in any aspect than one of the top 5 running backs in the NFL. Come on. Your mancrush on Betts is clouding your thoughts.

BLC and I disagree all the time, but he's one of the people here who really does know what he's talking about.

Betts is not a better pass catcher than Portis, that's absolutely silly. Betts comes in on third down to be MORE of ground threat, not less.

If we were showing pass, we'd keep Portis in - he's known leaguewide for being a fabulous pass-blocking running back. Betts comes in for Portis to keep Portis fresh. There are no skills Betts has that Portis doesn't.

I repeat - there are NO skills Betts has that Portis doesn't.

I'm not saying Betts isn't a great backup RB. In fact, I think he's the best backup RB in the NFL. I'd take him over Michael Turner in a SECOND, and most people would say I'm crazy for that.

You can't stat-compare Portis to Betts. We throw to Betts more often because it's usually 3rd and 8, not because his hands are better than CP's.

To the dude claiming BLC has a mancrush on Portis, at least Portis has done something in his career to earn a mancrush. Betts has played 6 great games. That's not enough to say he's better in any aspect than one of the top 5 running backs in the NFL. Come on. Your mancrush on Betts is clouding your thoughts.

haha dude you are wrong, have you not seen portis go to his knees to catch a ball when he absolutely does not have to? receiving is NOT one of portis' strengths. Betts on the other hand is very natural when it comes to catching the the ball, hes been great at it since his college days.

Since 2002

Portis: 158 receptions, 1299 yards, 8.2 ypc, 4 td's, SIXTY-EIGHT games started

Betts: 105 receptions, 952 yards, 9.1 ypc, 2 td's, ELEVEN games started

how is this even a question? portis has started in FIFTY-SEVEN more games then Betts and Betts only has 53 less catches, 347 less yards, and two less touchdowns. Betts has had a higher ypc EVERY SINGLE YEAR that they have been in the league.

Come on you portis homers open your eyes! Betts is the better reciever. Period. End of story.

haha dude you are wrong, have you not seen portis go to his knees to catch a ball when he absolutely does not have to? receiving is NOT one of portis' strengths. Betts on the other hand is very natural when it comes to catching the the ball, hes been great at it since his college days.

Since 2002

Portis: 158 receptions, 1299 yards, 8.2 ypc, 4 td's, SIXTY-EIGHT games started

Betts: 105 receptions, 952 yards, 9.1 ypc, 2 td's, ELEVEN games started

how is this even a question? portis has started in FIFTY-SEVEN more games then Betts and Betts only has 53 less catches, 347 less yards, and two less touchdowns. Betts has had a higher ypc EVERY SINGLE YEAR that they have been in the league.

Come on you portis homers open your eyes! Betts is the better reciever. Period. End of story.

haha, dude, 445 of those 952 came this year because of our shaky QB situation. both brunell and campbell used him a lot more as a saftey valve, especially brunell. he was used mostly when teams were beating the bejesus out of us. 7 catches against dallas where our offense mustered 3 points, 5 catches against indy where they sat in a prevent and brunell couldnt hit anyone else, and 6 catches in the giants game after they went up 27-7.

before this season, he'd never had more than 167 yards receiving, and his average from 2002-2005 was 126 yards a season.

these arent the numbers of a good receiver. hes put up 1 good season in 06 where our WR were ranked in the bottom of the NFL because our QBs were shaky and used him as a saftey valve. ladell betts is hardly impressive. portis is better at everything - period.

betts comes in to give portis a break, that is his job. he isnt some pass catching phenom and never will be.

haha, dude, 445 of those 952 came this year because of our shaky QB situation. both brunell and campbell used him a lot more as a saftey valve, especially brunell. he was used mostly when teams were beating the bejesus out of us. 7 catches against dallas where our offense mustered 3 points, 5 catches against indy where they sat in a prevent and brunell couldnt hit anyone else, and 6 catches in the giants game after they went up 27-7.

before this season, he'd never had more than 167 yards receiving, and his average from 2002-2005 was 126 yards a season.

these arent the numbers of a good receiver. hes put up 1 good season in 06 where our WR were ranked in the bottom of the NFL because our QBs were shaky and used him as a saftey valve. ladell betts is hardly impressive. portis is better at everything - period.

betts comes in to give portis a break, that is his job. he isnt some pass catching phenom and never will be.

the guy has started eleven games to portis' 63. i'm sorry but if portis were a better pass catcher out of the backfield his stats would not be as close to someone who has started in 52 less games then him. FIFTY TWO LESS STARTS and portis has a couple more catches and less than 400 more yards then betts. open your eyes, youre wrong.

Betts started 9 games last year and put up 445 yards. Portis has never sniffed 400 yards receiving and he has started over 12 games in four seasons, over 13 games in three seasons, and 15 or 16 games in two seasons.

In this case stats dont lie.

ladell betts - 2006 - YPC - 8.4

clinton portis - 2006 - YPC - 10.0

lol

sorry i made a mistake

do you really want to compare their 2006 seasons?

and like i said take away that 74 yard "pass" against houston and portis' average is 6.0 ypc. dont tell me that i cant just discount that play because i absolutely can, catching a shovel pass is not an indication of a players recieving skills.

the guy has started eleven games to portis' 63. i'm sorry but if portis were a better pass catcher out of the backfield his stats would not be as close to someone who has started in 52 less games then him. FIFTY TWO LESS STARTS and portis has a couple more catches and less than 400 more yards then betts. open your eyes, youre wrong.

Betts started 9 games last year and put up 445 yards. Portis has never sniffed 400 yards receiving and he has started over 12 games in four seasons, over 13 games in three seasons, and 15 or 16 games in two seasons.

betts starting has nothing to do with anything. he plays in every game. in fact, he had 23 of his 53 catches in games he didnt start. either way, betts comes in on 3rd downs, and catches the football sometimes. up until this year, he barely contributed at all with receiving. he has one year where he catches a bunch of passes as a saftey valve and all the sudden hes good out of the backfield. and he never scores out of the backfield, and he cant break long runs. hes not very good, this is why hes a backup.

Starting has NOTHING to do with how many catches the two have. Betts has been the THIRD DOWN back since he's been here. Of course he gets more of a chance to catch the ball. Isn't that what a third down back does or am I just having a bad dream? :doh:

Starting has NOTHING to do with how many catches the two have. Betts has been the THIRD DOWN back since he's been here. Of course he gets more of a chance to catch the ball. Isn't that what a third down back does or am I just having a bad dream? :doh:

you really think a third down backs main objective is to catch passes? that makes alot of sense considering when betts STARTED he had his best season catching the ball.

Archived