Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 NFC-East Pass Rushers 2007

ImRickJamesB

Top 10 NFC-East Pass Rushers

The criteria for the list; it's mostly a combination of the players recent history (last 1-3 seasons), and what I project for them in 2007......

1. DeMarcus Ware - Cowboys

2. Osi Umenyiora - Giants

3. Michael Strahan - Giants

4. Trent Cole - Eagles

5. Jevon Kearse - Eagles

6. Greg Ellis - Cowboys

7. Andre Carter - Skins

8. Darren Howard - Eagles

9. Marcus Washington - Skins

10. Anthony Spencer - Cowboys

#1. Ware is a cut above the rest, and he's still on the ascent... He's like a young Jevon Kearse, maybe better...

#2-6.... I wonder, is it Strahan who is lucky to have Umenyiora, or is it the other way around? Whatever it is, it works...Strahan's old, but you can not count this guy out!

Only 1 of these players (Trent Cole) played in all 16 games for 2006. Cole looks solid at worst...

Kearse, he's also getting older, and he's been injured, again... You gotta wonder if he'll ever return to his dominant form...

Ellis showed his athleticism by switching to LB for the first time ever, at age 31. He has always been pretty consistent... Like the others, I'm kinda giving him the benefit of the doubt, that 'he'll comeback relatively healthy in 2007...

#7-8.... Carterand Howard are both "boom or bust" players, and both have been stuck on bust for awhile now.... I think Carter's more likely than Howard to return to his prior form in 2007...

#9-10... The Skins would be better off on defense, if they let Marcus Washington rush the passer more... He's pretty darn good at it...

Anthony Spencer is a rookie, and he might (or might not) struggle while making the switch from DE to OLB... But with Ware eating double-teams all day, Spencer will not struggle to get to the QB...

PS - Wasn't sure if this thread belongs here, or if it should be in Around the NFL... Sorry if I guessed wrong...... :notworthy

The criteria for the list; it's mostly a combination of the players recent history (last 1-3 seasons), and what I project for them in 2007......

1. DeMarcus Ware - Cowboys

2. Osi Umenyiora - Giants

3. Michael Strahan - Giants

4. Trent Cole - Eagles

5. Jevon Kearse - Eagles

6. Greg Ellis - Cowboys

7. Andre Carter - Skins

8. Darren Howard - Eagles

9. Marcus Washington - Skins

10. Anthony Spencer - Cowboys

#1. Ware is a cut above the rest, and he's still on the ascent... He's like a young Jevon Kearse, maybe better...

#2-6.... I wonder, is it Strahan who is lucky to have Umenyiora, or is it the other way around? Whatever it is, it works...Strahan's old, but you can not count this guy out!

Only 1 of these players (Trent Cole) played in all 16 games for 2006. Cole looks solid at worst...

Kearse, he's also getting older, and he's been injured, again... You gotta wonder if he'll ever return to his dominant form...

Ellis showed his athleticism by switching to LB for the first time ever, at age 31. He has always been pretty consistent... Like the others, I'm kinda giving him the benefit of the doubt, that 'he'll comeback relatively healthy in 2007...

#7-8.... Carterand Howard are both "boom or bust" players, and both have been stuck on bust for awhile now.... I think Carter's more likely than Howard to return to his prior form in 2007...

#9-10... The Skins would be better off on defense, if they let Marcus Washington rush the passer more... He's pretty darn good at it...

Anthony Spencer is a rookie, and he might (or might not) struggle while making the switch from DE to OLB... But with Ware eating double-teams all day, Spencer will not struggle to get to the QB...

PS - Wasn't sure if this thread belongs here, or if it should be in Around the NFL... Sorry if I guessed wrong...... :notworthy

You're using an "if" for Washington.

I'd suggest that you consider Kiwanuka as an "if" given his rookie season and the fact that he'll be playing on the same side as Strahan.

That said, like you, I'm looking at this with my "team goggles" on.

Speaking of which, this sounds like something you'll have to fear quite often. Apparently next season, Washington will be used as an edge rusher, getting himself into the 3 technique. It's gonna be scary! :notworthy

Good job with the list. Ware is the best right now, but he is nowhere near the talent that Javon Kearse used to be. He is just a has-been now, but Javon Kearse was on his way to being one of the best defensive ends ever.

Javon Kearse fact: At the scouting combine when running the 40, Javon had the 2nd fastest first 10 yards in combine history. He was 2nd only to Deion. He made guys like Peppers and Ware look like Renaldo Wynn.

Im not a Cowboys fan' date=' but Ware could put Merriman to shame if he rushed as much as Shawne does...and who knows if his rushes will increase with Wade Phillips now in Dallas.[/quote']

I like your list but I must say your "man-crush" on Ware is a bit overstated. He is not in a class by himself. Maybe ONE of the best ones in the NFC East but not above and beyond everyone else. :2cents: Besides did you ever see a Wad Phillips head coached team? Besides 1999 in Buffalo his defenses weren't exactly spectacular. :D

Anthony Spencer is a rookie, and he might (or might not) struggle while making the switch from DE to OLB... But with Ware eating double-teams all day, Spencer will not struggle to get to the QB

:doh:

At this time last year Broderick Bunkley was going to dominate the NFL and he wasn't even changing positions. Might want to let the guy play even an exhibition game before you anoint him.

I like your list but I must say your "man-crush" on Ware is a bit overstated. He is not in a class by himself. Maybe ONE of the best ones in the NFC East but not above and beyond everyone else. :2cents: Besides did you ever see a Wad Phillips head coached team? Besides 1999 in Buffalo his defenses weren't exactly spectacular. :D

Wad Phillips!!! :laugh:

I think Strahan's best days are behind him at 35. I would be surprised if he plays 16 games for the Giants in 2007. The team does have other talented D-linemen however.

Dallas will get good pressure from its front seven, which it will need because the secondary is still vulnerable to the deep ball.

The Eagles have some age at DE, Kearse and Howard are not what they were. Inside they are much younger at DT, having released some vets in the offseason.

The Redskins don't have a dominant rusher. If healthy, Griffin is a formidable presence inside going both ways. Carter has the physical ability to be a 10-12 sack performer. The Redskins will depend upon a rotation to keep guys healthy and limit their reps at the other spots.

Archived