Extremeskins

U.S. Arms Guerrillas to Fight Al Qaeda

#98QBKiller

Rift seen in Iraq insurgency -- some groups reject al Qaeda

POSTED: 3:20 p.m. EDT, June 8, 2007

Full Article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/06/07/penhaul.iraq/index.html

Video:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/world/2007/06/08/penhaul.bed.insurgents.cnn

By Karl Penhaul

CNN

BUHRUZ, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. forces have begun arming nationalist guerrillas and former Saddam Hussein loyalists -- and coordinating tactics -- in a marriage of convenience against al Qaeda radicals in one of Iraq's most violent provinces, senior U.S. commanders tell CNN.

This new alliance, a result of the deepening divisions among Iraqi insurgent factions, was on display earlier this week at a highway intersection in the town of Tahrir. There, a group of some 15 insurgents publicly chanted: "Death to al Qaeda."

"The al Qaeda organization has dominated and humiliated Sunnis, Shiites and jihadis. It has forced people from their homes. They can't get enough blood. They killed many honest scholars, preachers and loyal mujahedeen," one of the group's spokesmen read from a written manifesto.

It's a sharp turnaround from just two months ago when the same insurgent forces were focused on fighting U.S. troops and driving them out of Diyala province, about 40 miles north of Baghdad.

do we ever learn from past mistakes?

isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place, arming guerillas to fight the commies?

My first thought exactly. In 10-20 years we'll be arming al-Qaeda to fight these guerrillas :doh:

do we ever learn from past mistakes?

isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place, arming guerillas to fight the commies?

we never carried through in Afghanistan after the commies were expelled, we let the crazies have the country instead of finding some better alternatie... i think this situation is a bit different. in Afghanistan we supported religious crazies to fight a relatively decent Afghan government plus the Russians. in this case we are using nationalists interested in fighting the people who want chaos.

or at least that's the hope

we never carried through in Afghanistan after the commies were expelled, we let the crazies have the country instead of finding some better alternatie... i think this situation is a bit different. in Afghanistan we supported religious crazies to fight a relatively decent Afghan government plus the Russians. in this case we are using nationalists interested in fighting the people who want chaos.

or at least that's the hope

well i just hope this doesn't come and bite us on the ass, again.

My first thought exactly. In 10-20 years we'll be arming al-Qaeda to fight these guerrillas :doh:

These "guerillas" are Iraqi tribesmen who have decided to work with and for the government...you remember, the one we hope will represent all of Iraq ;)

If the State dept hadn't tried to work around the tribes Iraq might easily have been further along.

These "guerillas" are Iraqi tribesmen who have decided to work with and for the government...you remember, the one we hope will represent all of Iraq ;)

Then why the Eff don't they do something really radical, like joining the Army? (You remember, the one that represents all of Iraq, and also is authorized by the government, has a publicly-identifiable chain of command, and wears uniforms?)

:halo:

Then why the Eff don't they do something really radical, like joining the Army? (You remember, the one that represents all of Iraq, and also is authorized by the government, has a publicly-identifiable chain of command, and wears uniforms?)

Good question.

If you care to look into it they ARE joining the army in record numbers.

There is also value in some like these that are beyond Maliki's control. ;)

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

And a million other applicable clichés, all yours for three easy payments of just $14.95 each!

~Bang Zoom!

Money Talks

Talk is Cheap

Archived