Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Best College Fight Song (opinion or not)

Mr. S

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I like Rocky Top, a lot, but the thing is - if you go to a bar in Seattle or Boston or Hawaii and start whistling Rocky Top, not many people are going to recognize it as "that colleg fight song." It is sort if like "Anchors Aweigh" for Navy. A great song but maybe not the most classic college football fight song.

Plus, if you like bluegrass you know that Rocky Top is the Freebird of blugrass. Followed closely by Dueling Banjos (and more recently Man of Constant Sorrow).

sorry guys, wish I could edit the poll to include the FSU war chant. I just threw some of those out there like Oklahoma, but you guys have a point, FSU's is definitely recognizable.

To all you Rocky Top bashers, I posted in the beginning "even though that isn't their real fight song". No sense in arguing it. Nice to see some other rocky toppers here, as I am excited to be going there for grad school in about 2 months!

Edit: I also forgot Auburn - War Eagle, another solid song.

The JMU fight song! ;)

I am partial to the JMU fight song myself, playing it in the band for four years straight and never missing a home, playoff, or W&M game. However, it still does not have the recognition as these big time school songs have, so I had to omit it.

Madison, James Madison....

Yeah that's all that I know and I have only been out for a year.

We are the Dukes of JMU..

Madison, James Madison

The Fighting Dukes of JMUUUUUUU

FIGHT for glory, honors won

Brighten the lights of Madison

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Madison James Madison

Show your colors, proud and true

We are the Dukes of JMU!!!!!!

:D i learned it off the cups we got at basketball games

This is also a PSU favorite...

Fight on State

Black Shoes. Basic Blues. No Names. ALL GAME.

WE ARE.....PENN STATE!!! :point2sky

As of right now, 2 people have voted for PSU.... hmmm, who could those two voters be ;)

"We put on college football's most distinctive uniform. Thinking about those before us. The walk-ons, the All Americans, the legends who made sure to uphold the tradition. We are the black shoes, white helmets and plain uniforms of one of America's most successful programs. We are heroes, we are winners, we are Penn State football"

edit: I'll give the Victors a close 2nd

As of right now, 2 people have voted for PSU.... hmmm, who could those two voters be ;)

"We put on college football's most distinctive uniform. Thinking about those before us. The walk-ons, the All Americans, the legends who made sure to uphold the tradition. We are the black shoes, white helmets and plain uniforms of one of America's most successful programs. We are heroes, we are winners, we are Penn State football"

edit: I'll give the Victors a close 2nd

I never understood why some people don't like PSU's uniforms. I think they're sharp. Of course they're not winged helmets. :cool:

ed69351b.jpg

Maryland Victory Song

Maryland, we're all behind you,

Raise high the Black and Gold.

For there is nothing half so glorious,

As to see our team victorious.
We've got the team boys,

We've got the steam boys,

So keep on fighting, don't give in;

M-A-R-Y-L-A-N-D

Maryland will win!

Simple, short, quick, awesome... although if we still used rock and roll part 2. We'd win hands down

Ba na na na... Heeey!. You Suck!! (duke).:laugh:

I never understood why some people don't like PSU's uniforms. I think they're sharp. Of course they're not winged helmets. :cool:

Rinewind... ur a wolverines, yankees, redskins fan? how did that happen? are you a celtics/lakers fan too? detroit redwings?

Rinewind... ur a wolverines, yankees, redskins fan? how did that happen? are you a celtics/lakers fan too? detroit redwings?

Don't you be getting on my boy Rince about rooting for the Wolverines. Yankees, ok. But cheering for the Wolverines is like cheering for the Skins - it's a natural impulse for all good red-blooded Americans. :salute:

Celtics/Lakers? Have you not seen my stance on cheering for two teams? And I think you might be inferring that I'm a front runner. :mad:

We moved a lot when I was a kid - lived in Baltimore (how I became a Skins and Caps fan), Detriot (how I became a Pistons and Wolverines fan) - the Yankees are because of Don Mattingly.

Don't you be getting on my boy Rince about rooting for the Wolverines. Yankees, ok. But cheering for the Wolverines is like cheering for the Skins - it's a natural impulse for all good red-blooded Americans. :salute:

:laugh:

And you get to say HAIL! for both!!

:cheers:

I like Rocky Top, a lot, but the thing is - if you go to a bar in Seattle or Boston or Hawaii and start whistling Rocky Top, not many people are going to recognize it as "that colleg fight song." It is sort if like "Anchors Aweigh" for Navy. A great song but maybe not the most classic college football fight song.

Not like the Notre Dame/Michigan/Wisconson songs. Those three are like the throwbacks to a more innocent time of racoon coats and those little triangular rah-rah pennants.

Or at least it seems that way to me.

I can see your point here. I was part of a rousing rendition of Rocky Top at the dueling piano bar in Vegas at NY NY and I bet a good amount of people didn't associate it with football. I'd like to experience them all live. I was there when Peyton lead the band, awesome. I'd like to be in the big house for a Mich vs Ohio State game.

I can see your point here. I was part of a rousing rendition of Rocky Top at the dueling piano bar in Vegas at NY NY and I bet a good amount of people didn't associate it with football. I'd like to experience them all live. I was there when Peyton lead the band, awesome. I'd like to be in the big house for a Mich vs Ohio State game.

Yeah, I was not at all ripping on Rocky Top - great song, great fans.

I went to two OSU games at the Big House when I was at Michigan, and they were a blast.

With all this talk about Rocky Top... here's some pictures from a UT game last year -vs- LSU. Great times :cheers: (although they freaking lost on the last play of the game)

In one of the pictures you can see our top draft pick. :)

Not like the Notre Dame/Michigan/Wisconson songs. Those three are like the throwbacks to a more innocent time of racoon coats and those little triangular rah-rah pennants.

Or at least it seems that way to me.

That's my opinion, too.

I'm a (lite) Oklahoma fan, and I think Boomer Sooner is a nice song.

But to me, to qualify as "best fight song", opposing team's fans have to know the words.

ed69351b.jpg

Hey, I respect their team. Solid program. Tradition. All that.

But those aren't winged helmets. Those are "get me some black helmets, and a roll of yellow electrical tape".

Those were the ugliest helmets in all of football, until the Ravens wrested the title away.

Hey, I respect their team. Solid program. Tradition. All that.

But those aren't winged helmets. Those are "get me some black helmets, and a roll of yellow electrical tape".

Those were the ugliest helmets in all of football, until the Ravens wrested the title away.

Huh, learn something everyday. I knew Princeton used the winged helmet - I just didn't realize they actually used it before us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_Football_Helmet

Also - they kick ass. The only better helmets in the NCAA are Alabama's.

yay, Rocky Top is getting closer to ND. Gotta love unarguably the most obnoxious fight song!

BTW, any UT students here? I'm looking for more Skins/Vols fans to chill with during Redskins games.

Archived