Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins will be the Saints of 2007

jileib

I think injuries aren't a concern for us at playmaker positions, it's more at the "meat and potatoes" positions, namely our lines.

We're set at receiver since our ground game can take a game over in an instant (even in 2006, we ran consistently).

We're set at running back for depth - I trust Ladell as much as CP.

We're set at CB - obviously.

We're set at SS and FS.

We're set at TE - Gibbs makes the best use of the TE position in the NFL when it comes to versatility. SD and KC are showier, but our TEs can be running backs, blockers, receivers, and decoys.

We're very set at QB - hated Brunell as the starter, love him as a backup.

If our lines stay healthy, injuries are really not a concern for us, provided they're not career threatening.

Did you copy and paste this from last offseason and just replace some names?

Don't set yourself up for disappointment, pleeeeeeeeeease. I'd hate to see what happened to me last season happen to you.

I want to be dead wrong and go 19-0, but I don't have any money on it (this time). :(

Did we sign Carson Palmer as a FA?

Did we draft Calvin Johnson in the first round?

Did we draft a pro-bowler rookie at 7th round?

Did we get an young coach when would become COY?

These are the reasons saints were good last year, not because they sucked the year before.

Im sorry sir, but what in the heck are you talking about?

I seriously hope you were joking with these statements. Carson palmer plays for the Bengals, so I take it you mean Brees right? Calvin Johnson was drafted, by the Lions. Your other statements are correct, but Im not exactly sure why you mentioned the first 2.

As for this thread I would have to say that we definitely have a chance to be as good as the Saints were. No we don't have Reggie Bush, but we have a pretty good 2 headed monster with CP, and betts. We also have a recieving core that is just as good as the Saints if not better since we have a strong TE in cooley, and the Saints never really had a big play TE. Karney is a strong FB, but I believe were just as strong with Sellers. The biggest thing is obviously Campbell, but I don't believe he has to have a phenomenal year for us to be successful. All he needs to do is manage the game, and keep the defense honest by throwing it deep 4 or 5 times a year. Everyone knows we were completely ineffective with Brunell, but with Campbell at the helm, and if he limits his mistake our O could be flat out nasty

We also have a better defense IMO this year as well. The Saints were never really typically strong in their D, but they were so pumped up with their Cinderella story that they were overachieving. We actually are much more talented on the defensive side of the ball. We just need Springs to be relatively healthy, and the D-line to stay healthy, and especially Griffin. Our Corners are better, and our Safeties are much better, as well as our linebackers. Obviously if we suffer a few big injuries we will be in the same boat as last year, but I truly believe we can definitely make some noise this coming season.

Hail

Sounds good, it'll be easy to be the most improved team, especially defensively, since we bottomed out in most defensive rankings and set a record for fewest takeaways.

haha yeah maybe we tanked last year so it'd be easier to look good this year? :laugh:

The comparison of us this year to the Saints last year doesn't compute.

The circumstances surrounding the two teams are too different.

However you could have simply asked, 'Will we be the most improved team and surprise some people this year?' or 'Will we overachieve and lose an NFC title game that we should have won?' Either would have been valid questions.

I do think we can be the most improved this team this year for sure. I hate 'coulds' and 'couldas' though...

I hope, like everyone here, that the 'Skins turn everything around this upcoming season.

At this point though, I think the smart bet for most improved would have to go to SF in the NFC, and obviously NE in the AFC.

I don't know, I honestly think that all of their FA acquisitions are going to explode in their faces...or at least going to take some time to gel. With all of the new additions they made, there are going to be many new faces in that locker room come game #1. I think it will affect them, similar to its effect on us last year and 2000 :doh:

You seem confident in that statement, so you should have no problem providing ample facts to back it up.

I'm very confident in this statement, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that isn't. And I'm not going to spend my day looking up facts and stats to prove what is generally considered to be a universally agreed upon statement.

Simply put, this is not a well built team in terms of depth. The only positions where we really have depth are Saftey and Running back. Everything else is an injury away from a big breakdown or a serious drop-off in talent between the starter and the backups.

The offense should be a lot better and could dominate if everyone stays healthy, but the O-line is the Achilles heel. Losing Dockery will hurt. Losing anyone else on the line to injury will totally disrupt everything the offense is supposed to do.

The jury is out on the defense. It will be better, but how much better depends on the D-line. If they cant pressure the QB then teams will move the ball on us.

WOW thats painful to read but it's very true.... i never thought of it like that :gus:

I'm very confident in this statement, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that isn't. And I'm not going to spend my day looking up facts and stats to prove what is generally considered to be a universally agreed upon statement.

No need for a day full of research. Since all teams have injuries and the best built teams overcome them, all you need to do is name the first two well built teams that pop in your head.

No need for a day full of research. Since all teams have injuries and the best built teams overcome them, all you need to do is name the first two well built teams that pop in your head.

I'll tell you what...look at the final records for the 2006 season. Most of the teams that had the best records either had amazing luck or were built to sustain injuries. The teams with the worst records most likely did not.

Or are you going to disagree with the notion that every team in the league has injuries to some degree? More often than not, your depth is more important than your starters. That's why the Redskins' free-agent-first approach has for the most part failed so far.

Did we sign Carson Palmer as a FA?

Did we draft Calvin Johnson in the first round?

Did we draft a pro-bowler rookie at 7th round?

Did we get an young coach when would become COY?

These are the reasons saints were good last year, not because they sucked the year before.

............??

............??

What I am saying is that Saints had some amazing breaks after their 3-13 season:

1) They got a young franchise QB (Brees) on the FA market. How often did this happen? ( it is like that we somehow sign Carson Palmer without giving up anything).

2) The best player on the draft was slided to #2 magically ( Reggie Bush). it is like CJ had fallen down to #6 and we had drafted him.

3) Their 7th round rookie became a pro-bowler WR in the ROOKIE year. It is like our Tyler Ecker would become Ben Coates THIS year.

Archived