Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - Portis has knee problems

gangars

Favre has had on and off tendinitis in his throwing elbow for ten years.

It sounds like it "creeps up" as Joe Gibbs put it, when these guys come off long periods of rest then work that area of their body hard. ie: Portis recovering from injuries since last November, now trying to work hard to get into playing shape.

It's a big deal only because this is the third problem he's has in less than 9 months. We're starting to get into chronic injury status.

FYI, i had tendonitis in my knee once. It basically came from working out with weights for 2 hours and then playing basketball immediately after lifting for 3 hours (for about an average of 4 days per week). Again it came from over using my body and not getting proper rest. I then rested it for about a month. And soon after i was back to normal. This is why i'm saying its not that bad, specifically since it happend in May, four months before the start of the regular season.

I developed patella tendinitis, also commonly known as jumper's knee, a couple of four years ago while playing in an organized men's bball league. It is much more of a problem than many of you think, at least it was to me. I went through 10 weeks of physical therapy, while continuing to play, to strengthen my quadricep muscles in order to take pressure off of the tendon. The pain never went away. Ultimately I had to stop playing and give it full rest for a year and a half before I was pain free. Still today I can't jump or put other explosive tension on that knee without the pain reoccuring.

Clinton is much younger than I am and I'm sure that he will work through the condition successfully. But it's treatment is not the walk in the park some here are describing. Taking a couple of Advils ain't gonna solve it.

Here is some treatment guidelines from the Mayo Clinic for anyone who's interested:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/patellar-tendinitis/DS00625/DSECTION=7

I noticed you didn't rest the knee, you continued to play on it. You probably made the condition worse and hindered the recovery process by doing that. Time and time again, I've seen people come down with it and get over it quickly once they rested the joint or muscle affected for at least a couple of weeks.

I noticed you didn't rest the knee, you continued to play on it. You probably made the condition worse and hindered the recovery process by doing that. Time and time again, I've seen people come down with it and get over it quickly once they rested the joint or muscle affected for at least a couple of weeks.

You're right, I didn't at first because I wanted to keep competing. Plus, I had the blessing of the therapist.

We shouldn't overlook the fact that Bubba Tyer said that they need to strengthen his quads. Clinton doesn't seem like a guy whose legs need strengthening. I think it's also interesting that he was sent to see Dr. Andrews in Alabama.

I hope that they are just being overly cautious with him. :fingersx:

The guy was out for 2 surgeries which had him unable to train hard. Tendonitis does heal with rest. And if anything, this shows that Portis hasn't been slacking, and has been working hard to be ready for this season.

You're right, I didn't at first because I wanted to keep competing. Plus, I had the blessing of the therapist.

We shouldn't overlook the fact that Bubba Tyer said that they need to strengthen his quads. Clinton doesn't seem like a guy whose legs need strengthening. I think it's also interesting that he was sent to see Dr. Andrews in Alabama.

I hope that they are just being overly cautious with him. :fingersx:

Makes it all the better that this happened in May. Minicamp isn't so important where he needs to suck it up and play on the knee. I expect it to be fine by training camp.

I developed tendonitis in both of my ankles while in the service. My problem lasted quite a while but I never really was allowed to rest. When I got out and took some rest from the long runs I healed rather quickly. I for one am not too worried about this issue. He will be fine by the start of mini camp as long as he gets rested and follows by the doctors orders.

I used to want to be a sports journalist but thank god I'm not. Over-speculation and paranoid rumor-starting seem to be qualifications to become a "respectable" (and I use that term very loosely) sports journalist.

I think if my dream had come true, I would have most likely blown my brains out.

they have to fill the space... everything else (like legit journalism) comes second

The doctor said I had tendonitis in my left foot which made it hard for me to walk on. I contributed it to working on a concrete floor for 12 hours a day. I have a different job now where I don't need to stand as much, and the problem went away. Rest and less work will make the problem go away.

That being said, if Portis does rest the knee and doesn't get involved in any football drills, will that lead to bigger problems later on? It's like trading one problem for another?

This is most likely mot a big deal at all. Sounds like he might have overdone it a little working out trying to get back in shape. The word is that Clinton is on a misson this year.

Any of you guys suffer from tendenitis ? It can be very painfull and only gets better with resting of the joint in question to let the swelling subside. I know this first hand, being I have tendenitis. For aplayer who depends on his lower body strenth, this can actuall be a problem. Even if the knee is stable, discomfort can cause a player to push less on that knee.

I could be no isue at all,but going to see Dr Andrews isn't a good sign.

To me it's a bit worrisome considering his legs should feel great after all the time he's spent rehabbing is shoulders.

This is most likely the exact reason he has tendinitis, though. His legs have had no work at all and he went right into OTA's.

Makes it all the better that this happened in May. Minicamp isn't so important where he needs to suck it up and play on the knee.

Agreed. Let's hope his rehab goes well. Dwayne Wade just had surgery to relieve his patellar tendinitis. This is a condition that often becomes chronic.

this is what i dont want to happen. lets just hope that all the injury stuff goes away. hes young which is good, and his broken hand and shoulder seem to be ok, but knees are much more worrysome than shoulders.

I agree w/ a lot of what you say, but I am not so sure knees are that much worse than a shoulder injury. He will take a pounding on that shoulder every play he is involved in. And once a shoulder is injured, it is never the same. I dislocated my shoulder in high school and still have problems w/ it 20 years later. My knee injury heeled long ago. It was one of the easier injuries I have bounced back from.

Archived