Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Cigar Aficionados Thread

ceviker

Ahh, a thread for me.

I've smoked nearly every cigar mentioned in this thread. The Opus X is tasty, but a little overrated for the price. Same with the Montecristo No. 2. If you're looking for a cigar that has never failed to be well constructed -- nice, even burn -- and very flavorful, try the El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Larga. I think that's the perfect size. Fat 54 ring gauge. Always a well made, nice even burn.

I think the Perdomo 1964 series is also overrated for the price, but, generally the Reserve series is nice. Partegas has a Cuban Parejo made with Piloto leaf that's robusto size with a 64 ring gauge. It's as tasty a cigar as there is, but, I was a buyer very early on in the line and the construction is atrocious. Uneven make creates terrible burns. They let way too much air pass through, so sometimes you can be burning an inch below the tip.

But, from a taste perspective they are pretty sweet.

Montecristo is the original great mild cigar, but they have suffered from the move off Jamaica. Their construction is now worse. La Unica is a square pressed mild cigar you can substitute for an every day smoke or for hand outs. I get the 8.5 inch/50 ring gauge and it is a surprisingly well made, nice mild smoke for pretty cheap.

JR Cigars is the place you get stuff on line as the prices can't be beat. Some of the higher end stuff like the Opus X you might as well buy locally unless you're buying in bulk, which is pricey.

Cubans are better in every way though. Don't let anyone tell you different. Like beer with the same recipe can taste different if the water is different, cigars impart flavor from the climate the leaf grows in. Cubans are better constructed and taste better. The price is a burden though :).

Those wanting to get a cigar buzz need to check out the CAO Piranha or the Montecristo Africana. These are some dark potent smokes. The Africana is new leaf so it will surprise you. Still a little harsh, so it would be best if you bought a box and let it sit for two or three years before smoking so it mellows.

Thank God, Art. I was starting to get tired of all this black and mild talk! I have a montecristo waiting for me in my humidor. I've heard of the El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Larga, but never tried it. But the Robusto Larga (6.0 x 54, I believe?) is P-E-R-F-E-C-T!

They are cigars. I didnt say they were great or that they are on the level of a Montecristo or cuban. Shut your pie hole.

I won't because no one in this world can convine me that they are cigars. I'm not even sayin they're bad. I'm just saying they're not cigars.

They are cigars. I didnt say they were great or that they are on the level of a Montecristo or cuban. Shut your pie hole.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, black and milds are the ones with pipe tobacco. Those aren't cigars man. They are in the cigar category due to wrapper, but, a cigar, for a person who smokes them, are whole leave, hand rolled. The filler garbage like black and milds are cigarillos or something, but not REAL cigars :).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, black and milds are the ones with pipe tobacco. Those aren't cigars man. They are in the cigar category due to wrapper, but, a cigar, for a person who smokes them, are whole leave, hand rolled. The filler garbage like black and milds are cigarillos or something, but not REAL cigars :).

Thank you! Back to real cigars topic

Enjoyed a 5 Vegas for the first time today. It was the classic, torpedo (6.0 x 54). Great smoke. The draw wasn't as easy as some other's I have had, but still good.

You also have to worry about heart disease! I had a heart attack in November and my Doc told me to layoff the cigars. I told him that I smoked about 20 a year and he yelled at me. So try and break it!

P.S - I miss my cigars!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thats all I smoke. Well not all, but as far as legal products. I love black and milds, Ive been smoking them for years, but Im struggling to stop. Im scarred because Im addicted. Im scarred of getting lung cancer. I need help, because I run through blacks on the regular. Does anyone know if there is a product out there that I can purchase to help me get off of cigars. I dont know if those patches are only good for cigerettes. I need help getting off of black and mild cigars.

You also have to worry about heart disease! I had a heart attack in November and my Doc told me to layoff the cigars. I told him that I smoked about 20 a year and he yelled at me. So try and break it!

P.S - I miss my cigars!

Sorry to hear that, my man. Its one of those things that you just never know. I know people who smoke a pack of cigs a day and drink every day and have never had any health problems. I also know people who have been extremly health conscious and have been sick. These days, it seems everything is bad for you.

Moderation, to anything in life, is the best answer.

Except for Redskins football, of course!

Hadn't smoked a cig in a while. I actually quit smoking cigarettes a couple of weeks ago, but I figured I have to have some fun every once in a while...I had an Acid Wafe on Friday. I like the Acid smokes, as well as the other Drew Estates.

My favorites are:

Cusano Corojo 1997- excellent smoke, mild to full bodied, finishes nice

Perdomo Lot 23- Good smoke, not expensive

Perdomo Reserve (Conn. Wrapper) Smooth, tasty, mild, the best in my book

Cuesta Reys- Lovely smoke with a hint of spice and wood

Rocky Patels- All makes

To narrow down my list of choices...what are some mild brands to try? I tried a Punch over the weekend and it was great! Also tried a Montecristo, I believe, dark cigar and I could take that...too harsh! Guess I 'm a wimp but I like the smooth cigars. Oh...also tried a La Finca...not bad...not as harsh as the Montecristo.

To narrow down my list of choices...what are some mild brands to try? I tried a Punch over the weekend and it was great! Also tried a Montecristo, I believe, dark cigar and I could take that...too harsh! Guess I 'm a wimp but I like the smooth cigars.

Sounds like your Montecristo had a maduro wrapper. Cigars with this wrapper tend to be a bit stronger.

I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to cigars...whats a Maduro wrapper?

No problem..... here is the skinny, basically the darker the wrapper the stronger the cigar, there are exceptions , some smokers agree the lighter the wrapper the milder the cigar, the darker the wrapper the stronger and sweeter (where have I heard that before?) Some argu that the wrapper plays a huge role in the flavor, others dont. I'm to believe it does play a big part in the flaovor of a cigar. And it keeps the guts from falling out!:D

Cigar wrappers are designated often by color, sometimes being labeled “dark” or “light” and sometimes being labeled by more specific terms. Overall, the most common cigar wrappers are as follows:

Double Claro - Grown in Connecticut, this cigar wrapper is very light with a hint of green. It is made from tobacco leaves that are picked before they mature and dried quickly. Sometimes Double Claro wrappers are also called American Market Selection, Jade, or Candela. They are typically thought of as bland wrappers, lacking much flavor and possessing little ability to affect the overall cigar experience.

Claro or Natural - Grown under a cheesecloth, used to place a barrier between the tobacco leaf and the sun, Claro or Natural wrappers are dried slowly, resulting in a tan-like color. The flavor produced is silky, delicate, pronounced, and smooth. Not overly demanding, the wrapper is still light enough that its flavor doesn’t overpower the tobacco inside the cigar.

Colorado Claro - Often grown in Cuba or the Dominican Republic - and not in Denver as the name insinuates - these wrappers are medium brown, sometimes with hints of red. Flavorful, these wrappers bring hints of spice and nut to the cigar.

Colorado - Easily recognizable, like a red-headed stepchild of the cigar industry, this wrapper is known to produce an exceptional and unique flavor with its red, oily wrapper. Like many wrappers, this one is also grown in Connecticut.

Maduro - Dark brown to almost black in color, these wrappers produce a sweet, full, and rich flavor. Made from tobacco leaves that are aged as long as possible, the Maduro wrapper is mature, full of oils and often visible bumps and veins.

Oscuro - Also called Double Maduro, these wrappers are black in color and have an oily appearance. Adaptable to many environments, they are grown in Connecticut, Mexico, Brazil, Cuba, and Nicaragua and produce rich, distinct, and spice-filled flavor. Like the Maduro, they often possess obvious bumps and veins.

No problem..... here is the skinny, basically the darker the wrapper the stronger the cigar, there are exceptions , some smokers agree the lighter the wrapper the milder the cigar, the darker the wrapper the stronger and sweeter (where have I heard that before?) Some argu that the wrapper plays a huge role in the flavor, others dont. I'm to believe it does play a big part in the flaovor of a cigar. And it keeps the guts from falling out!:D

I totally agree with your assessment. I find that generally speaking darker = stronger. I also believe that the wrapper type/color has a lot to do with the final flavor of the puro.

Says maduros have sweet full rich flavor...this particular one tasted like a burnt pile of leaves smells in the Fall.

lol. Maybe it wasn't as fresh as it should have been. Had it been kept in a humidor at all times? This is extremely important. Cigars can dry out in a flash, especially in the warm weather. Another thing; try not to light a cigar too many times. After mutiple lights they start to taste a bit funky.

Says maduros have sweet full rich flavor...this particular one tasted like a burnt pile of leaves smells in the Fall.

I think you had a maduro wrapper Montecristo Afrique brand. Montecristo originals (like No. 2) are a very mild and mellow cigar. I actually just got done smoking one and it was absolutley wonderful.

As for mild smokes, there is one and only one champion here:

Ashton.

Ashton (the regular ones, not the VSG) are mild and NOTHING compares to them. I like everything from mild to full bodied, but Ashton is my favorite cigar.

Just so there is no confusion, this is the Ashton I'm talking about (it doesn't have to be this size, but its my favorite)

Other ones to try are Helix (cheap and fantastic) and Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real.

I'm very partial to the V cut cutters and punches, as for lighter, just a bic or wooden matches.

I totally agree on the V cutter. Back in the day I really liked a punch cut but today I think a larger cut is necessary. I am also into wooden matches. I try not to use anything that has fluid in it.

Archived