Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Kelly gives props to Art Monk on ESPN Radio today

AJWatson3

Was doing my daily catering and listening to ESPN 950AM out of Richmond this afternoon. For some reason "Hardly Workin' With Greg Burton" was not on, so they were playing the Colin Cowherd show instead. He had on Jim Kelly and Kelly was insisting that the HOF comittee should include actual players, not only writers who hadn't played the game at the pro level.

He made specific mention of Art Monk being a no-brainer HOF'er.

Cowherd disagreed and said that he played a long time and his stats just kept accumulating, but that he wasn't that good.

Kelly strongly disagreed and made a point to mention that the game had changed so much over the past 20 years.. that he was performing when teams weren't throwing the ball 40 times per game. He though Art Monk deserved to be in the Hall, without doubt.

Good lookin' out on his part.

I don't know if this was a repeat episode, but I thought I would pass on the info anyways. Didn't see a recent post about the Art mention.

Peace y'all.

How can Cowherd sit there and tell a HOF quarterback that he knows the game of football better? I mean, I think a quarterback would have a pretty good idea of who is and who is not a HOF receiver. I really don't know where some of these sportswriters get off, that would be like me trying to tell Darrell Green how to play cornerback. I don't know why the media has such a bias against the Skins, somebody please explain to me how you deny a 3 time Super Bowl winner based on stats and then say a guy like Cris Carter who never even sniffed a Super Bowl is a no-brainer just because he accumulated a lot of catches. Funny, I don't remember Cris Carter having that 'defining' catch that led his team to a championship they are always babbling about.

If Monk had played on a "west coast" offense team he would have amassed so much more productivity to satisfy those losers who only look at that stuff. As it is he still had three times as many catches as Swann. He prided himself on his quiet leadership, consistency, blocking, not coming out of the game, great hands, and excelling in the clutch. He was one of the most respected players on a team full of Champions. I'm so sick of the whole debate. After seeing Irvin sullying the Hall before Monk even gets in, I'm convinced that there really should be no HOF.

Soon, this thread will be FULL of people proclaiming that Art Monk should be in the Hall of Fame. Every thread like this ends the same way. And you know what? Threads like this shouldn't exist. He should already be in by now!

Until that happens, I will click on every Monk-related thread and post that I hate everybody who stands in his way.

stats rule the sports world. It's sad.

and the sad thing is, that he was #1 on most of the receiving stats until Jerry Rice came and destroyed them.

but still he is a HOF without a doubt.

this idiot Cowherd would probably come up with some lame excuse to why Darrell Green shouldnt go in either. :doh:

It makes me sick that Irvin is in, and Chris Carter will get in next year. arter is a lock simply because he is part of the "media". Carter played on a pass-first team, indoors, during an era in which rule changes were being made to generate more offense through the air. Monk played in a era when he could be chucked throughout his route, outdoors, and running the ball was the dominant philosophy amongst coaching staffs--particulary Monk's coaching staff.

Edited to state that Cowherd does indeed suck. He is a self righteous pompous ass that has (pardon the cliche) fallen in love with his own voice. At times he is rude to callers when it actually seems like the callers point went right over his head.

This new sensationalistic "sportstainment" direction E.S.P.N. is taking makes me sick to my stomach. How lame is Mike and Mike in the Morning? :doh:

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :point2sky

I don't see how Art Monk isn't in the Hall. As a fan of an NFC East rival, I find it incredibly insulting and moronic that a great talent and individual like Art Monk is kept out of the NFL Hall of Fame because he wasn't dominant. Why doesn't his entire career matter in the Hall of Fame? This is the guy Jerry Rice leapfrogged to in order to own the records. Wide Recievers just don't get respect unless they're Jerry Rice. I don't blame these guys for celebrating Touchdowns in the Endzone at all. It's their one chance for recognition.

stats rule the sports world. It's sad.

Actually, if stats ruled the world... Monk would be in the HoF...

It's non-stats that are ruling this world. For instance, Dr. Z (on the HoF selection committee) claims that Monk caught 700 8-yard hooks... I sent him an e-mail (not that he would or could read it) that told him that if he averaged 8 yards on 700 of his catches, he would average about 40-50 yards on his remaining 140 catches (don't remember the actual stats, but I'm paraphrasing my own letter). I would say that is a pretty good HoF career... :)

freakin' ridiculous how the writers talk so much about stats.

Art Monk was about so much more than stats. Even though I think we all know his stats are through the bloody roof!

How about leadership? Intangibles? Blocking ability? No decline in performance no matter which of the 3 QB's he helped win a SB was throwing to him?

You have to look at it from the standpoint of the era the player played in. It's like going back to the 40's and 50's and saying "well that QB didn't put up half the numbers that Peyton puts up in a given game." Times change...styles change.

Art Monk played on teams that had a lot of talent, yet he was the go-to-guy for over a decade. He had some of the best hands in the NFL, he could get the needed-catch, and he retired with #1 records at his position. You have to judge him based on how he played, when he played. Honestly, I'd say he's very similar in style to Marvin Harrion these days. I bet you can't find a media guy who will say Marvin doesn't belong in the hall...but basically he's made a living off of being the go-to-guy on a team that has a lot of weapons. He runs great routes, has great hands, and knows how to make a play when he's needed. His personality is even a lot like Monks...yet the media loves him and wants to label Monk as being "distant."

It's a crock.

You want an example of a fraud, stat-getter, who doesn't belong in the HOF...look at Meshawn Johnson. He is a better example of what CC is trying to label Monk as being. KJ will retire...maybe being in the top 20 of most receiver records. Monk retired in the Top 5 or at #1 with most of those same records. Since when did players get penalized for being nice guys and consistently the best at their position? It's no wonder WRs are becoming more and more like the big mouth Michael Irvin's, TO's and Randy Moss' these days.

:2cents:

Archived