Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2003 Draft Preview - the RBs

rv581

from www.laststory.com

“2003 Draft Preview - The Running Backs”

Editorial Note: Predicting in 2002 where football players will ultimately fall on draft day in 2003 is sort of like pissing in the dark… inaccurate, messy, and not quite on target. Still, it must be done. Why? Because the advent of the Internet has turned red blooded sports fans into geeky techno-nerds who spend their free time impulsively breaking down game tapes and football minutia, not unlike a Trekie flipping through his Klingon-to-English dictionary, trying to decipher what, exactly, Worf was saying to his in-laws on the planet Klinzai. So, to satisfy your insatiable need for a leg-up on draft prognostication, here is the LastStory.com 2003 Draft Preview, as researched by two current NFL scouts:

The Running Backs:

1) Maurice Clarett, Freshman, Ohio State

Draft Grade: A+ (First Round)

The Skinny: He probably won’t challenge the NFL’s rule by declaring himself for the draft, but if he did, he’d by a top-three draft choice. Every bit as talented as Marshall Faulk, Clarett is an amazing player who can run, catch, and make big plays. He’s young and still learning how to handle the media, but so far he’s doing an exceptionable job without getting a big head. He’s a naturally big kid who weighed a muscular 225 pounds in high school and received scholarships from Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Penn State as a high school sophomore. Before this season, some questioned his durability, since he spent a good number of his pre-college days injured, but a workman-like college debut has erased most of these concerns. He was named the USA Today offensive high school player of the year as a senior and is a legitimate athletic phenom. Already a polished route-runner, Clarett adjusts well to passes and could probably play WR at a pro level. Simply a fantastic prospect who, barring injury, will become a fantastic professional. While we don’t expect him to enter the 2003 draft, if Ohio State wins the national title and he feels that there’s nothing left for him to prove, the temptation might be too great to pass.

2) Willis McGahee, Sophomore, Miami

Draft Grade: A (First Round)

The Skinny: Originally a backup to Miami super-prospect Frank Gore, McGahee has elevated himself as a top prospect with a standout 2003 season. A third-year sophomore with homerun speed, McGahee has soft hands and a surprisingly large frame. Often compared to fellow Hurricanes Clinton Portis and Edgerrin James in terms of overall ability, he excels in all aspects of the game, with the exception of blocking. He’s not a smart person and his Wonderlic score will be among the lowest. In fact, he was nearly academically ineligible to meet NAACP requirements out of high school. He doesn’t run as strong as his size indicates and some scouts believe that his production is in no small part due to a top-notch Miami offensive line. McGahee’s mental toughness is also an issue and has admitted to letting criticism affect his level of play. Of course, the scrutiny he faced in college will pale to that as a first round draft pick in an NFL city and he’ll need tougher skin. His ability to absorb punishment is a warning flag, as is his inability to crack the starting lineup when his teammates are healthy. He has an unusually high boom-or-bust potential, but if he booms, he’s a perennial Pro Bowler who dominates games and resurrects a franchise.

3) Larry Johnson, Senior, Penn State

Draft Grade: A- (First Round)

The Skinny: A strong, physical runner who can also return kicks and punts. More explosively quick than flat-out fast, Johnson has nice hands and ideal size. He has a knack for running hard while looking as if jogging. A student of the game, his father is a football coach. He’s only been a featured back for one-and-a-half seasons, and there are always questions when a collegiate RB spends so much of his eligibility on the bench. Sometimes hesitates and over-thinks plays. He has fast feet and sees the whole field well. Extremely productive and almost immune to punishment, he runs like a healthy Jamal Anderson. He blocks better than most “star” running backs and plays unselfishly. With so many highly touted Penn State running backs (Curtis Enis going number five overall, Blair Thomas going number two overall) flopping in the NFL, Johnson’s college carries a stigma with certain teams. Still, we feel it would be unfair to punish Johnson for the shortcomings of his alumni and project him to be a capable RB in the NFL with star potential. Besides, he gained brownie points with NFL scouts everywhere when he categorized Mel Kiper’s hair as “real 1960s.”

4) Lee Suggs, Senior, Virginia Tech

Draft Grade: B+ (Second Round)

The Skinny: Suggs is a compact, hand-nosed player who is still recovering from a serious knee injury. Before the injury, he was on pace to becoming the top RB in all of college football, combining track-quality speed with power, quickness, and elusiveness. Now, he still has track-quality speed, but isn’t nearly as quick or explosive. Aside from the knee, he’s a durable player who almost never fumbles. Categorized as an extremely coachable kid who doesn’t suffer from the dreaded “star” syndrome. Well liked and respected by his teammates. His ability to catch is an unknown. If his knee fully recovers, he could be the best RB in either the 2002 or 2003 draft. He sometimes runs too tentatively if a hole doesn’t immediately open and won’t go out of his way to make a big play out of nothing. A Lee Suggs who’s fully healthy is a franchise running back, ala LaDainian Tomlinson, and even if not fully healthy, could still be 900 to 1,100 yard workhorse in the NFL.

5) Chris Brown, Junior, Colorado

Draft Grade: B (Second Round)

The Skinny: A powerful runner on the inside and superbly conditioned, Chris Brown hammers rather than glides. He won’t be able to run to the outside in the NFL because he lacks pro-quality speed and quickness, but has a nice burst when a hole opens in the middle. He has the ability to punish opponents rather than himself and absorbs hits well. Among the best in short yardage and goal line situations. He’d be a bad fit in the West Coast Offense, but can run well without a fullback. His ability to catch out of the backfield is largely unknown, but could bolster his stock at the combine. Probably can’t run faster than a 4.6 or 4.7. Brown has a true passion for football and has a reputation for being a team player and a loyal person.

6) Cecil Sapp, Junior, Colorado State

Draft Grade: C+ (Third Round)

The Skinny: Big and elusive, Sapp runs like a twirling bowling ball. Aggressive with the pigskin, Sapp would probably go in the top 15 or 20 overall if he hadn’t spent so much time on the injured list or sharing carries with his teammates. Some of his injuries were truly bizarre, such as missing an entire season because of a tumor on his right foot. A short and compact player, Sapp has a 6 foot 2 body in a 5 foot 11-ish frame. He can “shake & bake” an opponent right out of his jock and his football-playing-speed is much better than his track speed. He has elite skills and depending on where he goes in the draft, could be a true steal. He’s among the best at running between the tackles and ideally suited for a team using a power running attack and has an extremely high upside.

7) Onterrio Smith, Junior, Oregon

Draft Grade: C+ (Third Round)

The Skinny: An extremely gifted athlete with some questionable personality traits. He left Tennessee’s football team following some off-field problems. A legitimate big-play threat. He runs strong, but needs to add 10 pounds to his frame to compete in the NFL as something other that a change-of-pace RB. Can play special teams as a return man and has good hands. Stamina and personal judgment are question marks. Most expect him to turn heads at the combine. Team insiders whisper that he’s not a diligent student of the game and not as disciplined as he needs to be. He’s exceptionably nimble on his feet and exciting to watch, combining WR-quality speed with grace and balance. He runs too upright, but gets away with it because of his athleticism. The bottom line is that he can carry the football like a Marshall Faulk/Warrick Dunn, but has the self-destructive attitude of a Randy Moss and will probably go earlier in the draft than we project.

8) Mewelde Moore, Junior, Tulane

Draft Grade: C (Third Round)

The Skinny: Even without QB Patrick Ramsey, Moore has excelled for the Green Wave and as just a junior, is already the most prolific runner in school history. A superb athlete who has among the best pair of hands in the nation, Moore is tailor-made for the West Coast Offense and could become a first down machine on third downs. Only 20-years-old, some compare him to ex-Viking running back Robert Smith, or ex-49er Roger Craig. A warning flag is that he’s also a baseball player in the Padre’s system and has never publicly declared a preference for either sport. Spending his off-season playing baseball has hurt his development and prevented him from bulking up. At six feet and weighing just 200 pounds, he’s built more like a WR than a RB. He could probably add 15 pounds without sacrificing any of his speed. If Moore fully dedicated himself to football, he could become a legitimate Pro Bowl player and the sleeper prospect of the 2003 draft.

my guess is the Redskins will turn heaven and earth to find and upgrade the talent at WR, but I think Betts is going to be the starting RB going into camp next season.

We may see the team pick up a veteran back that can catch the ball out of the backfield as a backup/insurance, but after spending a #2 pick on a RB last time out I don't see Spurrier sitting still for that again.

8) Mewelde Moore, Junior, Tulane

Draft Grade: C (Third Round)

The Skinny: Even without QB Patrick Ramsey, Moore has excelled for the Green Wave and as just a junior, is already the most prolific runner in school history. A superb athlete who has among the best pair of hands in the nation , Moore is tailor-made for the West Coast Offense and could become a first down machine on third downs. Only 20-years-old, some compare him to ex-Viking running back Robert Smith, or ex-49er Roger Craig. A warning flag is that he’s also a baseball player in the Padre’s system and has never publicly declared a preference for either sport. Spending his off-season playing baseball has hurt his development and prevented him from bulking up. At six feet and weighing just 200 pounds, he’s built more like a WR than a RB. He could probably add 15 pounds without sacrificing any of his speed. If Moore fully dedicated himself to football, he could become a legitimate Pro Bowl player and the sleeper prospect of the 2003 draft.

If he might be worth a look if he commits to football and is available in round 3. OK, the Roger Craig comparison has me drooling. I loved watching him run so I'm biased. I imagine this...

:high:

1) WR

2) OL

3) Safety, DE or maybe RB depending on need, talent and availability.

4) Best available need.

I know, I know... We drafted a running back in round two last year but without Davis we will need one more back in the fold. We can draft for another position like safety higher and pick up a late round project RB or grab a potential pro bowl running back who would fit this system like a glove. Remember that pass Watson dropped?

Who knows Betts may impress in these last few games and this becomes a moot point. But with Davis looking like he's gone and no clear front runner to replace him.....

Originally posted by Yomar

Instead of the GatorSkins, we will be the GreenWaveSkins

Yeah right.?.. That would send the sportsworld off it's axis wouldn't it. :laugh:

But if this guy is all he's made out to be in this report he could be our Marshal Faulk in a few years. Think of it this way. To Spurrier this guy is another reciever coming out of the backfield.

That Mewelde Moore write-up is intrigueing.... wonder if Ramsey does any lobbying?

------------

EG, some VT fans might say Jones is better than Suggs. I'd say Suggs was hands down the better. Jones has the potential but he's not yet as good as Suggs. Jones fumbles too much; Suggs fumbles about once every 5 years. Suggs is a tougher inside runner.

Not to mention those TD records of his are an outstanding resume. :laugh: His nickname should be "touchdown".

He scores two TD's in the bowl game and he'd have two straight (not counting the missed junior season due to injury) 20 TD seasons.

my take on the bunch

1-clarett-won't happen this year.stop dreaming

2-mcgahee-very intriguing,awesome skills,but not a smart person is a big warning flag

3-johnson-all around back???doesn't mention catching skills.worth second look

4-suggs-bigtime star but the knee????catching skills?????

5-brown-not quick enough,catching skills???a bruiser

6-sapp-quick & durable but an every down back????

7-smith-needs to add bulk.attitude problem

8-moore-quick west coast type back.needs to add a few pds & commit to football.

suggs& moore are the most intriguing of the bunch IMO.

I've seen Mewelde Moore a lot. When Patrick was here at Tulane as a senior last year, Moore rushed for 1,400+ yards and caught over 60 passes. This year, running behind a young, undersized OL, he topped a thousand yards rushing and caught 45 + passes. He's got very soft hands, and Tulane uses him not only on swings and flares, but on wheel routes and other downfield throws. Although he only goes about 200 or 205, he's a hard, even punishing runner who seems to play about 20 pounds heavier than he is. Like Ramsey he's also another tremendous character guy with an incredible work ethic, part of which may be due to the fact that he's a professional baseball player in the offseason. He's tough and hard-nosed, and will stick his nose in there on the blitz pick-up. Where he gets drafted will depend on how fast he runs for the scouts; he's shifty but not a burner (I'd guess about 4.5 for forty yards), although he's got what I call good "football speed." I'm not sure he's coming out this year since he's only a junior and with his baseball bonus he doesn't need the money--my guess is he won't come out unless he thinks he can sneak into the first round. Check him out in the Hawaii Bowl on ESPN on X-mas night at 8 PM EST.

A name that is not on there who would be a perfect fit for our offense is, Kentucky RB Artose Pinner, he's about 5-11, 225lbs with gtreat hands who played in a spread offense at Kentucky. I'm not sure what his 40 time is, but the guy plays fast.

He could be had in the 3-5 rounds.

SkinsNorth,

Yes..that Pinner kid is certainly shifty and fast. I'll bet Spurrier knows him to, considering Florida played Kentucky every year.

Also, the WVA kid is also someone to think about. He just punished the Hokies this year.

I say either Moore or Suggs, preferably Moore if we can get him in the fourth.

Originally posted by wayne

3-johnson-all around back???doesn't mention catching skills.worth second look

Johnson led the nation in yards from scrimmage (as of the end of Penn State's final game, that may have changed last week). He had 300-400 yards receiving this season.

I'll just bet that some f'ing NFC East team snags him (other than my Eagles, of course) and once again I'll be forced to root against a top player from my alma mater...

:pint:

I'm content with Watson and Betts next season. Watson has looked good in relief for Davis, and Betts still hasn't been given a legit opportunity. If the team acquires a new RB it will be a big name in free agency, unfortunately.

I think we should address the lines early in the draft. We already have talent at WR, their just young. What would bringing in a rookie help?

Archived